The Americans is Delightful.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Moments of that episode (the kitchen scene after "Clark's sister" arrives, Martha and "Clark" in the bedroom) felt like small stage plays. Keri Russell and the actress that plays Martha were both tremendous in this story.

1001001 likes this.
  2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great observation about the small stage plays, I agree.

3. teacake

I would love to see what happens to her, in Russia. How she is "treated with respect" and "honoured". Under 24 hour guard and living in some shithole most likely.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Martha arrives in Soviet Russia, looks around the airport and realizes... "My god, I'm the hottest woman in this entire country. I ammmmmm going to get so laid."

It's really a question of if they want to reuse the actors/characters from Nina's story line now that Annet has ejected herself from this situation.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect that the plane carrying Martha will crash and that the pilot will have bailed out, or something like that, so it will look like an accident for Philip's sake. The Soviets can't trust Martha, and we saw how ruthless they are with Nina.

Plus, I would think that there should be some sort of payoff to the bit about finding the pilot for the job.

This has been a great season so far.

6. Guy Gardener

Nina stole from them, betrayed the Party to the Americans, got a second chance this season and then betrayed Russia again, and yet still got a day and court before her execution.

There are often terrible consequences for faithless actions, even if you're pretty like a movie star.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm surprised Martha is still alive (so far). I really thought that Elizabeth, or maybe even Philip, was going to have to "deal with her" because of her increasingly erratic behavior . . ..

8. Guy Gardener

Greg, find a cool avatar, and suit up.

It's only now that I think that Superman and his mum (Clark and Martha) are making out, and married.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

when Elizabeth found her in the park i was thinking, well that's it. Martha is done for.

10. Greg Cox

Me, too. And, yes, I think Elizabeth seriously contemplated it. It was very touch-and-go there for a few, very suspenseful moments . . ...

11. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

My money is on Martha meeting her demise while still in America. And the KGB probably does it, and the FBI will somehow find out. I just don't see anyway she makes it out alive. If Martha makes it out alive, it'll either be in Russia or in the FBI's hands. I'm not sure what story could follow her in Russia, but they could sure pump up every fans blood pressure if the FBI captures her alive. That would be something.

12. Greg Cox

Dare I admit that I have no idea how that works? I'm barely computer-literate at the best of times . ...

13. Guy Gardener

1. Where your name is on the screen, right hand corner of the page, up where you get your private messages and alerts, click on your name, which will take you to your user control panel.

2. Barely scroll down to where it says "avatar" and explains that if you click on this particular picture of your current (default) avatar, you can replace that with a different picture that is already on your hard drive.

3. A dialogue window will pop up with a button on it that says "browse". After you push that, you will be taken to an interface with your own computer. Starting at maybe to your "desktop", or "My Documents" but from there you can navigate to where you know on your computer that your picture libraries are kept, or to a jpg you have recently downloaded/created that is cool. "Select and save". If you must, you can use this space as an advertising block to display what you are currently working on, or very proud of, but that's up to you.

(The jpgs have to be small, but not tiny. The website software here may give you an "it's too big" error if you exceed limits. The simplest photo editing program on your computer is Microsoft Paint, which almost hasn't changed in 20 years, or you can just find a similar smaller picture with lower resolution.)

4. Then it's just push the "Okay" or "save" button to confirm you're happy, and you're done.

14. Guy Gardener

Oh, I had to turn off my anti pop up program to get this to work.

:)

If you push the browse button and nothing happens, it's adblock or something fighting the BBS.

15. Greg Cox

Success. Thanks!

16. Guy Gardener

"Oh my god! ...You're GORGEOUS!!"

;)

Greg Cox likes this.
  17. CorporalCaptain

Yeah. Fantastic avatar, @Greg Cox!

18. teacake

@Greg Cox congratulations on now existing!

btw a simple av program is https://avatarmaker.net/ Upload any pic you like, choose 100X100 for the size and you can pick any part of that pic etc..

Yes. All that who finds the pilot dribble and the dark haired lady with secrets Oleg doesn't know staring significantly at nothing.. plane gonna go boom.

I've really enjoyed the lack of james bond drama, car chases etc.. it's been fascinating. The smaller family stories entwined with the bigger spy story.

I thought when Paige pops over to tell Henry it's dinner and then makes herself at home.. she was keeping an eye on Henry in the FBI house. Taking this first tentative step of her own accord to work for her parents.

19. CorporalCaptain

Yes.

I thought that Paige drinking the beer was significant. It could be a calculated effort on her part to buddy up and gain her brother's trust and maybe Matthew Beeman's as well. But it could also indicate that she is exploring another direction in her life besides religion. I don't know what Pastor Tim would say, but I sorta doubt that he would completely approve of Paige drinking beer. Clergy in a lot of denominations of the 1980s wouldn't have approved (obviously).

20. Guy Gardener

Matthew wants a piece of that.

It's weird with kids that age.

Some of them look like young children, and others look like really young children.