The Ahsoka series is coming.

The same way things of this nature are always handled: a few lines of throwaway expo.

They're going to need more then a few lines, especially for Ezra. I'm not one to say people generally need a lot of information to understand something like this, but Rebels isn't something that the general Star Wars audience has any real knowledge of, and it seems like Ashoka is going to require a lot of knowledge of it to make sense, probably way too much knowledge. The Mandalorian was an original character, Boba Fett was a known character and kind of similar to Mando and every Star Wars fan knows Obi-Wan. Even Andor at least comes from a movie that was generally well received and most current SW fans probably watched.

But Ashoka, to most people that have watched the movies and watched the live action shows, is a side character from Mando (remember, most people that watch Mando probably haven't even seen TCW), and Ezra is a character from a cartoon that had less of an audience then TCW and he has a more convoluted story. The show is going to have a bigger need to explain things to the general audience then any of the other shows did, and honestly I think it was a poor idea to tie in Rebels to it at all, which goes back to Ashoka's live action introduction in Mando. People like my Dad aren't going to bother going to a wiki to read up on the characters/cartoons, they need the information in the show.

Its things like this that make me wish Filoni had no influence over the live action stuff. I don't think he knows (or cares) that the general audience that makes SW movies and the live action shows successful generally don't watch any of the cartoons, so making a whole show dependent on knowing stuff from the less popular SW cartoon seems like a bad idea to me. Its fine to reference them and bring characters in where appropriate, but tbhis isn't just having Cad Bane show up in a spot that could be any bounty hunter, this is a show trying to follow up on the stupid Time Travel non-finale of Rebels.

He’s a former padawan that fought in the early days of the rebellion and vanished outside known space managing to bring with him one of the most dangerous imperial admirals. He also saved Ashoka life once. That’s more or less what you need to know, if the story wants to touch any other detail they can easily add the necessary bits too.

Yeah, there's no way they're going into this expecting everyone to but 100% caught up on 'Rebels'. They'll give exactly as much information as to who Ezra is and why the audience should care as is necessary for the story being told.
Weird thing to focus on I knon but it's interesting that the stone pieces seem a fair bit smaller than they were on the show, while the painting itself is still at the same scale. In the animated version, the central piece is big enough to fit all of the wolves' bodies' in, with the outer panels just featuring landscape. Also medium seems contextually different. The animated version looks like straight slabs of smooth, natural rock, as if they were quarried. The live action one looks curved and rough like concrete, as if it's a section of a building that's been torn away. That second point is possibly the more significant since it begs the question; what building, and why did Sabine choose it as her canvas? I feel like there's some visual storytelling at work here, even if it's never directly addressed.

Its things like this that make me wish Filoni had no influence over the live action stuff. I don't think he knows (or cares) that the general audience that makes SW movies and the live action shows successful generally don't watch any of the cartoons, so making a whole show dependent on knowing stuff from the less popular SW cartoon seems like a bad idea to me.
Nah. He's doing a show, one of several shows. It's not like a film which can make or break a studio's plans. If this show doesn't succeed then it will be one and done, and people move on to Bad Batch (shudders), or Mandalorian or some other show. Thus far, Mandalorian has demonstrated a positive ability to take obscure ideas from ridiculous SW lore and make them function in a show.

Rebels had a resurgence in popularity after it finished. I've seen a lot of people who passed it over when it first aired, go back and watch it and love it.

I've seen some people rank it higher than Clone Wars.
I have a friend who went back and watched Clone Wars and Rebels for the first time after they introduced Ahsoka on The Mandalorian, and he much preferred the more straightforward narrative of Rebels to the more anthology like structure of Clone Wars.

Yeah, there's no way they're going into this expecting everyone to but 100% caught up on 'Rebels'. They'll give exactly as much information as to who Ezra is and why the audience should care as is necessary for the story being told.

Weird thing to focus on I knon but it's interesting that the stone pieces seem a fair bit smaller than they were on the show, while the painting itself is still at the same scale. In the animated version, the central piece is big enough to fit all of the wolves' bodies' in, with the outer panels just featuring landscape. Also medium seems contextually different. The animated version looks like straight slabs of smooth, natural rock, as if they were quarried. The live action one looks curved and rough like concrete, as if it's a section of a building that's been torn away. That second point is possibly the more significant since it begs the question; what building, and why did Sabine choose it as her canvas? I feel like there's some visual storytelling at work here, even if it's never directly addressed.

I think it's just the side effect of a cartoon being translated into live action.
Now that I think of it, this mural being recreated in live action basically makes the Rebels art style into an in-universe art style of Sabine's.
pqtkAFR.png

15novPN.png

Last edited:
I think it's just the side effect of a cartoon being translated into live action.
pqtkAFR.png

15novPN.png
Perhaps. (Also just now noticing her boots are different.)
I guess it just seems curious when something from animation is reproduced in live action and it's so close to how it appeared, one can't help but wonder at the differences being anything other than deliberate.

They're going to need more then a few lines, especially for Ezra. I'm not one to say people generally need a lot of information to understand something like this, but Rebels isn't something that the general Star Wars audience has any real knowledge of, and it seems like Ashoka is going to require a lot of knowledge of it to make sense, probably way too much knowledge. The Mandalorian was an original character, Boba Fett was a known character and kind of similar to Mando and every Star Wars fan knows Obi-Wan. Even Andor at least comes from a movie that was generally well received and most current SW fans probably watched.

But Ashoka, to most people that have watched the movies and watched the live action shows, is a side character from Mando (remember, most people that watch Mando probably haven't even seen TCW), and Ezra is a character from a cartoon that had less of an audience then TCW and he has a more convoluted story. The show is going to have a bigger need to explain things to the general audience then any of the other shows did, and honestly I think it was a poor idea to tie in Rebels to it at all, which goes back to Ashoka's live action introduction in Mando. People like my Dad aren't going to bother going to a wiki to read up on the characters/cartoons, they need the information in the show.

Its things like this that make me wish Filoni had no influence over the live action stuff. I don't think he knows (or cares) that the general audience that makes SW movies and the live action shows successful generally don't watch any of the cartoons, so making a whole show dependent on knowing stuff from the less popular SW cartoon seems like a bad idea to me. Its fine to reference them and bring characters in where appropriate, but tbhis isn't just having Cad Bane show up in a spot that could be any bounty hunter, this is a show trying to follow up on the stupid Time Travel non-finale of Rebels.

When Star Wars first came out nobody even knew who Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia even was plus all the others. Many movies have been created based on books that nobody has every read. Good writing in the end is all you really need to make the show work.

Rebels had a resurgence in popularity after it finished. I've seen a lot of people who passed it over when it first aired, go back and watch it and love it.

IMO, it's light years ahead of Clone Wars. While I loved Clone Wars, the stories were dragged out and a bit more childish. Rebels had meatier story arcs.

I liked rebels but got a little frustrated on how they did very little rebelling. Also I felt that the fourth season was mostly inferior to he others.
Still haven’t seen neither version of the Clone Wars.

On a different note, Resistance was awful. Just awful.

Clone Wars was very lacking, especially early on. Rebels lacked as well and I let it go. The comic about Kanan's early life was more interesting. Once Vader showed up I tuned out.

I still think that TCW is by far the more popular cartoon. I'm not even talking about my preference (although I'll admit to liking TCW a lot and loathing Rebels), it just had a wider audience being (mostly) on Cartoon Network and being rated PG while also having characters familiar to people who watched the movies as a lot of the main cast. Rebels, on the other hand, was on Disney XD, rated for a younger audience and with a main cast of all original characters. Take any discussion of quality out of the equation, TCW still has much more mainstream reach/appeal.

Neither cartoon is going to be familiar to the vast majority of people who watch the movies, and probably a significant majority of people who watch the live action shows, but even then TCW has a step up on Rebels.

As for myself, as someone who is familiar with the cartoons, I'm feeling very mixed about this show at this point. I just don't want to see anything from Rebels, not even "Thrawn", ever again. But, I was really excited for Obi-Wan and it ended up being half dogshit because of its focus on a bratty little kid, so maybe Ashoka will somehow do the opposite, and make me go from wary to happy. At least Ashoka will probably involve some elements from TCW to balance out the Rebels stuff, although with my luck it will just be those stupid sisters from Season 7.

So am I. I'm continuously surprised by the number of people I see here who don't like Rebels. I'm watching it again right now and I love it even more the second time around.
I might try it again but the crew of the Ghost, Ahsoka, the Inquisitors all added up to little. At least when Thrawn showed up I appreciated that, as well as Maul's confrontation with Kenobi. But, it's a lot of little things that didn't add up.

So am I. I'm continuously surprised by the number of people I see here who don't like Rebels. I'm watching it again right now and I love it even more the second time around.

It isn't that they don't love Rebels. It's that they haven't watched it and don't know their is a show out their they would like or love if they would watch it.:)

Back