The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Mother Rune is downsizing her house and has been selling over 500 Star Trek action figures, mint in box, going back to the 70's on eBay.

She has no idea what she's doing, but she appears to be enjoying an odd catharsis watching then leave the Star Trek room (yup, she converted the loft because she had so much merch) one by one.

Hugo - seeya Kirk with the weird fuzzy shirt

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  2. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got the new World of Nintendo Super Mario Odyssey figure. It's probably their best Mario figure yet. The overalls are nicely detailed with realistic denim sculpting. His hair has some nice sculpting too. The face is spot on this time too. Aw worthy addition to the collection. I also finally got Chain Chomp too.
    [​IMG]

Kor, Astra, Refuge and 2 others like this.
  3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I picked this up at Target today, it was on clearance. I’ve been wanting it since it came out but didn’t want to pay $30 for it but $14.98 is well worth it. Now I’m just waiting for the Kylo Ren one to go on clearance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cooleddie74 and CaptainMurdock like this.
  4. CaptainMurdock

You've got a fantastic collection of mini food there. Very nice. :D

5. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

If I were still collecting the 6-inch Black Series figures I would have begged, borrowed, and stolen for the Gamorean Guard I saw at Target a couple of weeks ago. When I was back a couple of days ago it was gone. Part of me really wanted to get it even though I'm not collecting them anymore.

As for the Luke, yeah, paying an extra $10 for a relatively small extra hunk of plastic that doesn't add a whole lot to the figure and is not integral to the figure's character seems a little excessive. I think you made out well with your purchase.

6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I had a birthday recently, and I found a great gift to add to my collection. :D It’s the MF-34 Huge Dragon from MechFans Toys, who is basically a third party version of the Transformer Omega Supreme. G1 Omega was the first big “base” character added to the series, and one of the handful of molds who came from other toylines that Hasbro was able to license for. He converts from a robot into a defense base.

I came across this after watching emgo316’s nice review (the box fell over :rommie:), and I ordered mine from ShowZ Store. The price is good (around $60, similar to the price range for many bigger Transformers), and the shipping is free with good service. If you’re interested in buying, I’d recommend them.

In robot mode, it looks like a lot of details were pulled from the G1 animation model. There’s a lot of very good sculpted details, and some metallic gold and silver paint in areas (along with metallic red on the missile bays). Omega’s cartoon version was a bit more humanoid and less bulky overall than his toy counterpart, and I think that’s a good aspect of the figure. His head has a sculpted face, with a rather dour expression (somewhat amusingly).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All the joints are pretty solid and HD/Omega has a pretty nice range of posability. The legs have some metallic gold panels which seem to be based on the small yellow clips that fit on the G1 toy legs, though thankfully these are much harder to lose. ;) The front legs also have these details under the yellow ramps. One G1 detail that was omitted (likely for transformation reasons) is the rocket boosters that are on G1 Omega’s back, as that portion formed the base of his rocket gantry. Since on this figure his back and shoulders fold down for several base forms, it makes sense to not include them.

The head can rotate a full 360 degrees, so it’s easy to use his “gun face” as he did occasionally in the series. I like the addition of the missile bays on the shoulders, personally, and he had a pair of shoulder cannons that he briefly fired in one ep. These seem to be the lower molded details in the bays.

[​IMG]
    Scale wise, HD/Omega is about the same size as the Leader scale that Hasbro uses, which is mainly larger figures like Optimus Prime. He’s roughly the same size, and slightly shorter than the Combiner Wars versions of the team figures. For comparison, here he is with Leader scaled TR Sixshot and the Legacy Tigerzord, and Abominus in the second picture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While this naturally is a somewhat small version relative to how big the character is normally, I think it’s a good choice for scale. It lets HD/Omega be big enough to have a lot of fun details and work with other figures, while being small enough that he isn’t hard to display and isn’t super expensive.

In terms of transformation, the engineering is pretty good. It’s faithful in many ways to the G1 design, while having the advantage of being easier and quicker with fewer small pieces to worry about. His arms and head form the rocket and tank modules, respectively.

[​IMG]

The rocket even has a tiny opening door, though one could argue the placement is a bit odd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tank does not have wheels or roll, but it will fit on the track and can be moved manually. As mentioned the head/turret has full rotation and the cannon can elevate. The robot face is naturally obvious, but that was an aspect of the original as well.

[​IMG]

The legs fold out to form connectors for the track, with the inverted feet forming ramps on this version (a nice touch). While they won’t directly connect to the inner base, the dimensions make them close enough to work pretty well with imagination. One thing I have noted is that it’s important to peg the track tabs in solidly, because they don’t always stay stable otherwise. They peg into the holes that connect the legs to the thighs. They have a similar issue in robot mode, in that they don’t stay closed all that well and will flop open if you hold him at an angle. But it's not an issue if he's upright.

[​IMG]

HD/Omega’s body forms an inner base that the rocket can connect to, with the arms being able to serve a couple of different functions (see below). One of the alternate configurations is a smaller base mode, with the gantry a bit more like the G1 version and the rocket resting on one of the foot connectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also some interesting “extras” included with the figure. Some accessories from other Diaclone toys, including a couple of big guns, spare parts, and two expansion pods.

[​IMG]

The pods hold suit elements that are intended for a series of smaller robotic Diaclone figures, which are included in some of the packaging photos but not with the figure. You can modify them in a lot of ways with the extra parts, so long as you don’t lose any of them. This might seem odd, but what’s included easily (IMO) works as a couple of robotic drones that can assist Omega. This was somewhat common with later bases like Metroplex, but naturally wasn’t included as a feature of the original mold that became Omega Supreme.

There is mainly a tank style drone and an aerial type drone. The pods can be used in several of the alternate configurations as extra components, and you can also mount the big guns and smaller guns as a “heavier” base design. I’d say the big guns are arguably the weakest accessories, in that they can fit into the inner “frame” of the torso but don’t really fit it very securely. If you don’t know how to properly fit them in the right spot, they will fall out very easily and sometimes even if you rotate them. Keeping up with all the small Diaclone parts would be an issue too if one had smaller children.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of other designs that the figure can assume, and since I haven’t fully explored all of them yet, I decided not to try and do pics. emgo mentions several in the review, and I do have the box pics. The two “war walker” designs are kind of interesting, and it’s nice that one can use HD as both a G1 Omega and an “improved” version that the Autobots upgraded.

Overall, I’m really pleased with him. Omega is one of my favorites, and for a 3P figure, this is a pretty well made version. I’d highly recommend him to anyone who wants to add an Omega to their collection, with some extra options and a good price. The issues with the figure are pretty minor overall (some of the tabs on the tracks not being ideally tight, while the back/shoulder section is quite tight on my figure, and also pegs in, making it a bit tricky to transform), and the good points far balance them IMO. :)

Refuge likes this.
  7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Here are the extra modes, which I'm including separately due to the board image limit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Refuge likes this.
  8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I scored the new Vintage Collection Han Solo from Solo: A Star Wars Story and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker from The Last Jedi at my biggest area Walmart. This same Walmart also had the Vintage Collection repack of the Black Series Imperial Death Trooper but the packaging was mangled and the bubble crushed and starting to peel off the cardback.

The only new Vintage Collection figures I haven't yet seen in person in a store are 1.) Doctor Aphra, 2.) Range Trooper, 3.) Captain Cassian Andor and 4.) Enfys Nest. The Walmart-exclusive Rey(Island Journey) and Mimban Stormtrooper are part of the Vintage Collection line and numbered appropriately but have yet to surface at any Walmart I'm personally aware of.

Kor and CaptainMurdock like this.
  9. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just three men with hats drinking beer.
    This is a thing for barbecues that has salt, pepper, mustard and ketchup bottles in it. My brother gave it to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

My wife and daughter were down in Disneyworld and picked up this for the boys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. CaptainMurdock

I got this Lil Woodzee's "Pass the Pasta" restaurant playset. It's awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kor, Sibyl and Refuge like this.
  12. Astra

@CaptainMurdock you keep finding cute things I did not even know existed. Awesome!

I finally broke down and bought the new Mulder and Scully. I rejected Scully's face in the beginning and my Mulder has a serious case of ten-o-clock shadow but I kept seeing them in pictures and kinda warmed to them? It's always nice to have the right scale for crossovers with other 7" figures. And I got both for the price of one.

So this happened today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. CaptainMurdock

Thanks @Astra, I randomly stumbled upon it and had to have it. It's really nice for the price. And the accessories were a must have. Oh! I forgot to post it last night but it also lights up. Congrats on your new Mulder and Scully figures. :)
    [​IMG]

Sibyl likes this.
  14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Island Journey Rey officially available in the US now?

Kor

15. Astra

My UFO is glow in the dark!

[​IMG]

I also got this great Batman signal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Accessories are always nice! I got some great ones with the Reservoir Dogs figures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can even cut off his ear:

[​IMG]

Finally a guy who can bring his hands properly together for the gun pose:

[​IMG]

Kai "the spy" and CaptainMurdock like this.
  16. CaptainMurdock

Great haul. Love the UFO and Bat-signal. I had a great haul myself yesterday and hit the playset Jackpot.

Jungle environment.
    [​IMG]
    Knight's castle
    [​IMG]
    DC Superhero girls playset. I'll probably make this some kind of radio antenna thing.
    [​IMG]
    Imaginext TMNT Chinatown playset.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure what this is from but I liked it.
    [​IMG]
    And lastly this bunker.
    [​IMG]

And all of it was under $10. :)

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Nope.

Semi-officially she's already shipped to the distribution centers to be sent to individual stores but aside from a few random and scattered reports no collectors in the U.S. have found her at brick-and-mortar. Online purchases seem to be numerous, but actually spotting the new Rey in the wild? Almost completely unheard of.

18. Astra

They are all lovely but it does beg the question where do you keep all this stuff!

I bought this little handmade potholder and couldn't resist the following story:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CaptainMurdock

I keep most of my stuff in my room. I have lots of stacked bins and a big shelf. Bigger harder to store stuff I keep in large bins in my garage. :D

cooleddie74 likes this.
  20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's on ebay for $69.99. :(

Kor