The 14th Doctor's Adventures Begin This Week in DWM

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Rich Watson, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Blimey. This issue is apparently sold out almost everywhere and copies are selling on eBay for 4-5 times cover price. I'd guess the question of whether Tennant's return would have any real impact is answered.

2. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

So what if it's obscure in the US? Doctor Who itself is probably still obscure in wide swathes of North American society. The US isn't Doctor Who's primary market. But heck, back when I decided it was time to get into Doctor Who, buying DWM regularly was one of the first things I started doing, and I'm in Canada.

Stuff like this should be a reminder that Doctor Who does not have and never has had a firmly defined canon.

I switched to digital about a year or two ago because my local shop suddenly couldn't get DWM reliably. I kind of wish I was still getting print, but on the other hand I've been getting DWM since 2001 and it takes up a lot of space. The digital version even includes bonus features like Doctor Who Discovers Pirates.

TheAlmanac and The Nth Doctor like this.
  3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

So if they have a line up of Doctors…Tennant is in there once? Or twice?

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Twice, since Tennant 2.0 is officially considered a different Doctor than the Tennant we call the Tenth.

5. Rich Watson

Technically he should be three three times since he used up a regeneration in "Journey's End". Actually four times if you count the meta-crisis Doctor as well...

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, which makes that "The Five Tenth Doctors" joke in the 70th anniversary thread all the more funny, since it's so true.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll order it through work. Sometimes I'll get it... eight months later. Sometimes I don't get it at all. I've been hosed on some things that I really wanted, like the second chapter of Time Lord Victorious and the 60s Daleks comic strip collection. That's just how it goes.

Not to mention a lot of weight. I recycled about 10 years worth of DWM early in the pandemic, trying to clear out room to set up a work-from-home space, and it weighed something like a metric fuckton when I carted it out to the bins. :)

(A metric fuckton is less than an imperial fuckton, which I'm using in deference to the UK and the metric system.)

ATimson and The Nth Doctor like this.
  8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

No access to DWM here, Will wait for it to be collected. Canon or not, whatever, I will read it. It's like those Picard prequel comics.

BTW, are the 8th Doctor comics worth reading?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I think my local Barnes & Noble has it as part of its newsstand but I rarely go there anymore since I prefer to buy from my local bookshop. I might take a look the next time I'm in the area to see if they have it on the shelf (I doubt it).

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Five tenths - that's a half !

TheAlmanac and Captaindemotion like this.
  11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The return of the DWM comic strip and RTD's promotion/championing of it makes me wonder if we'll see a relaunch of the novel line. It withered on the vine on Moffat's watch and died completely on Chibnall's due to their disinterest, but RTD seems more interested in the wider multimedia possibilities. The real question is whether there's a readership to support it.

The eighth Doctor comics are definitely worth reading. Izzy is one of the great companions. It does get a bit fanwanky at times, but that was what the Wilderness Era of Doctor Who tie-ins were like.

TheAlmanac and Saul like this.
  12. Rich Watson

This is getting silly now. A copy of a magazine that went on sale three days ago up for nearly sixty quid and it has twenty seven bids!

13. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The Production Diary in the new DWM mentions a brand manager who’s been hired to oversee a laundry list of tie-in types; novels are mentioned, as are podcasts and audio dramas.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  14. The Nth Doctor

I do find it weird that its left upon the current showrunners to maintain interest in DWM comic trip and/or the novel line. I'm guessing that's only a modern parlance and nothing something that happened during the show's original run.

15. Rich Watson

Yup. Ed Russell who used to do the job left with Moffat and Chibnall never bothered to replace him. And we saw the results, or rather the lack of them.

16. The Nth Doctor

I reiterate my above point.

17. Rich Watson

The concept didn't exist back in those days. Here's Ed Russell's own words on what he did from his website:

"My job was to look after all additional activity around the series and also act as the link between Production and BBC Studios.

As well as being the main point of contact for Marketing, PR and Photography on the show, I was across all of the commercial activity including Publishing, Licensing, Digital, Sales and Events. There is almost nothing which had the Doctor Who name on it between 2006 and 2017 which I wasn’t involved in.

My particular areas of mention are the work with the BBC Proms / Symphonic Spectacular events, the range of Doctor Who novels (factual and fiction), the portfolio of photography on the show and my dealing with the talent, both on an off screen."

TheAlmanac likes this.
  18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Good call on that. I'll have to check my local B&N too. They are pretty good at stocking some obscure magazines. I get my Prog Magazine there, albeit usually two months behind the current issue. LOL

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. The Nth Doctor

Sadly, while my Barnes & Noble did have multiple copies of three previous issues, they did not have this one. Either yet or already sold out. Hard to say.

marillion likes this.
  20. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

That sucks. If yours is anything like my local shop, they are always behind on the stuff that comes from oversees. Hopefully it comes in soon!