Terminator: What happened?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral Jean-Luc Picard, Sep 27, 2020.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it too, my only complaint was that I wish they had made it look a bit more like the future scenes in the first two movies. I never understood why everybody hates it so much.

Captaindemotion and Smellmet like this.
  2. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I thought the third act was probably the weakest, as I was expecting something a bit more spectacular given the excellent stunts and FX earlier in the film but it's a minor quibble.

Re the setting, I got the impression it looked different because humanity had scarpered away from the wrecked cities into the desert wasteland.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Judgement day moves.

1997 (T2), 2003 (Salvation), 2004 (T3), 2011 (Tv show), 2017 (Genisys), 2020something (Dark Fate.)

Note that salvation happens a year earlier than T3. Weird.

The earlier Judgment day, the less sophisticated we are, and Skynet.

Doses that mean that John never meets Kate and makes it to Crystal Peak?

It also means that a Terminatrix arrives in 2004, a year after Judgement day.

What the heck is she supposed to do with herself?

A fully actualized Skynet is going to look on her as an irritant.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, that's what I've been saying all along. I think it's a much better movie than people give it credit for. For me, my favourites are T1, T2, then Salvation. I think it's unfortunately a movie that everyone hates for the popularity of hating on it.

The way I justified it was that given the many changes to the timeline, that it wasn't possible for it to be the exact same future as seen in T1 & T2, and that the technology level is also vastly different. Kind of like predictions that never come true due to changing circumstances and rates of progress.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Smellmet likes this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, I think there were a few time I fell in with the pack mentality and started ripping on Salvation, but now thinking about it more, I did enjoy it.
    Another point against Salvation is a McG movie, and hating his movies seems to be a really popular thing to do these days.

Smellmet likes this.
  6. Admiral Jean-Luc Picard

Admiral Jean-Luc Picard Commander Red Shirt

1997 - T2: Judgment Day
    2003 - T3: Rise of the Machines
    2004 - Salvation (retconned T3 to 2004)
    2011 - The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    2017 - Genisys
    202? - Dark Fate

Salvation retconned T3 as happening in 2004. Alternatively, someone just made a mistake.

John had already met Kate before the TX showed up. Had T2 not happened, he would have met her at a younger age.

Where was Kate in Genisys?

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might have to check out Genisys. I had skipped it originally because of the bad reviews and I had originally thought the whole thing with John Connor as the Terminator sounded stupid, but this conversation is making it sound more interesting.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm a recovering alcoholic, have been for more than a decade.

When I watched Genisys, I had to look for my breathalyzer and I was half-tempted to test myself, because I wasn't at all convinced that I wasn't hammer-drunk and hallucinating the damn thing. It's that bad.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  9. Guy Gardener

No idea of the context, but there's a comic where a radiation leak had it that she didn't get out of the bunker alive.

In the original time line before T2, there weren't Two Terminators fighting on the doorstep.

10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Judgment Day moves because Judgment Day is varied.

In Genisys, JD originally wasn't supposed to happen. It was a timeline in which it was averted. Skynet/John set out to recreate it from scratch.

In Dark Fate, Skynet was prevented. It never existed, never would. Their version of Judgment Day was caused by a completely different system with completely different creators. It's a bit odd that both developed the same type of time displacement technology (right down to you having to be completely naked to travel), and came up with a similar plan.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What Dark Fate did was similar to the new Star Wars movies renaming the Galactic Empire the First Order and the Rebel Alliance the Resistance, and then having everyone repeat the same steps that came before.

12. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

It's not high art, but it's still fun. The multiverse concept they run with is cool. The John Connor actor/twist is good too. The actor who played Reese was meh.

13. Smellmet

The nuclear attack on San Francisco was good, and the foray into the 84 movie was good in a 'back to the future 2' kinda way.

The rest of it just flat out sucked though. The two leads were terribly miscast and jai courtney just gets on my fucking nerves.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if sequel(s) to Dark Fate might reveal some kind of a connection between Skynet and Legion. Even if the Skynet future never happened, I could still see some of the technology that came from it's future continuing to exist and ending up playing some kind of role in Legion's creation.
    Isn't "meh" pretty much the standard reaction to every role Jai Courtney plays, except maybe Captain Boomerang?

15. Guy Gardener

No one makes Mistakes. ;)

There's just time travel we don't know about moving things around.

16. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jai is tolerable in some But mostly like eyes bleeding.
    Dark Fate was just rehashed trash.. Nothing new.

17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Thing that irritated me about Dark Fate was that it was trying to hammer us with a point that honestly didn't need making. My first question when Sarah mentioned wombs was "who says she wasn't the great leader?"

If there's one thing the Terminator franchise taught us, it's that women can be just as bad-a** as men.

18. Admiral Jean-Luc Picard

Admiral Jean-Luc Picard Commander Red Shirt

When the film came out, it was advertised as a reboot via time travel, following Star Trek (2009) and X-Men: Days of Future Past. We start off in the future war. Rather than jumping forward from Salvation, Judgment Day happened in 1997. We're seeing the original future war, the one we got flashbacks to in the first three movies. We see what lead up to the Terminator and Kyle Reese going back in time. Once back in 1984, we find additional time travelers, and that is what kicks off the main plot, the timeline has been reset to the first movie.

I loved the plot and overall production. For me, the only misstep was the casting of Kyle Reese. In the original movie, he's a scrawny soldier covered in scars, bathed in PTSD. In this movie, he comes off like a dumb jock. Modern film casting focuses on herocis over realism, so I'll chalk it up to that.

Ignore the critics. Go watch a fun Terminator movie. Come tell us why you liked it or why it sucked.

Smellmet likes this.
  19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The masochist in me wants him to play Riggs in a Lethal Weapon reboot, so that he can achieve the hat-trick of being dreadful in iconic 80s franchises.

Smellmet likes this.
  20. Smellmet

I don't know what it is. He just rubs me up the wrong way in everything I've seen him in.