Ten Forward Lounge - Miscellaneous General Chat & Welcome Thread

Avatar forgets the fifth element that some Greeks were trying to make.

BcFoFlB.gif

"The Fifth Element" is one of those movies that I personally just don't get. I knew a little about it a long time ago, but it wasn't until last year that I finally saw it all the way through. To say that I had a "mixed reaction" is the understatement of the millennium. I couldn't follow the general story, most of the characters seemed to be exaggerated stereotypes, and in the end no problem or overall goal seems to be addressed...so what exactly was the point?

Actually, a very good question of a lot of movies! But, that one, in particular. I think Hudson Hawk could fit that bill, too. Surprise, surprise! They're both Bruce Willis movies.

"The Fifth Element" is one of those movies that I personally just don't get. I knew a little about it a long time ago, but it wasn't until last year that I finally saw it all the way through. To say that I had a "mixed reaction" is the understatement of the millennium. I couldn't follow the general story, most of the characters seemed to be exaggerated stereotypes, and in the end no problem or overall goal seems to be addressed...so what exactly was the point?
To have a good time watching it? Not every movie needs to have a deeper meaning than just being entertaining. I'll never understand this obsession some people have with wanting every story to have some deep philosophical message, I don't see where that's necessary, I just want to have a good time.

To have a good time watching it? Not every movie needs to have a deeper meaning than just being entertaining. I'll never understand this obsession some people have with wanting every story to have some deep philosophical message, I don't see where that's necessary, I just want to have a good time.
I wasn't advocating Shakespeare or anything, but many stories (books, TV shows, movies) are built on a somewhat firm structure. It usually goes something like this - setup, conflict, resolution. Many different forms of media share this composition, but with "The Fifth Element", I just couldn't follow anything. It was almost like every part of it was being made up on the spot as they went along, and they just kept throwing it on the proverbial wall, to see what would stick.

Actually, a very good question of a lot of movies! But, that one, in particular. I think Hudson Hawk could fit that bill, too. Surprise, surprise! They're both Bruce Willis movies.
Bruce was a decent actor, before he sadly got dementia and retired. I liked him in a couple of the "Die Hard" movies, "Armageddon", and "The Sixth Sense". But I was never an habitual follower of his career.

I wasn't advocating Shakespeare or anything, but many stories (books, TV shows, movies) are built on a somewhat firm structure. It usually goes something like this - setup, conflict, resolution. Many different forms of media share this composition, but with "The Fifth Element", I just couldn't follow anything. It was almost like every part of it was being made up on the spot as they went along, and they just kept throwing it on the proverbial wall, to see what would stick.
I absolutely love The 5th Element, and I've never noticed any issues with it's structure, or seen anyone else complain about it.

To defeat evil.

It's a very simple story, and one carried by the strength of Willis, the set design, and a really fun view of the future. One of my favorite scifi films.

My coarse interpretation of the message behind The Fifth Element is that love conquers hate/evil and therefore love is precious.

For all the violence and chaos in the film, at the end of the day it is actually a love story.

While we may think of ourselves as warlike and violent and messed up a lot of the time, and The Fifth Element shows the ills of today magnified to extremes, perhaps it is actually our ability to love that transcends and defines us, and ultimately that more love can bring balance to our civilisation and maybe even the whole universe.

That's what I've always thought, anyway.

Nice 90-95% view of the eclipse today. Darkened a bit. Not the nighttime dark we'd heard about, but noticably dim.

About 50 of my coworkers came out with glasses. We were all sharing around with those that were without.

Very nice to see!

Nice 90-95% view of the eclipse today. Darkened a bit. Not the nighttime dark we'd heard about, but noticably dim.

About 50 of my coworkers came out with glasses. We were all sharing around with those that were without.

Very nice to see!
I've only seen a couple of eclipses in my life, but that's mostly because I don't go outdoors very much, especially in the summer.

I hardly even noticed the eclipse. If my dad hadn't told me about it I'd never have known there was one. Nothing looked any different!

But, I'll allow since that is a good movie.

Some fun facts:

- In 2263, Central Park still exists. But it's a hundred feet in the air.

- The slogan on the NYC license plates is "New York, the Fuck You State"

- Milla Jovovich and Luc Besson invented the Divine Language. They often had full conversations in it.

- The cab company Korben Dallas worked for, was owned by Zorg.

- I'm pretty sure Vin Diesel was the voice of Finger (Korben's friend).

- The "New York International Airport" is JFK.

Last edited:
For those of you who are getting the double-dose of 17-year and 13-year cicadas. (AFAIK, the area between the Smokys and the Rockys) First, I wish you luck with your hearing. Secondly, this...

Back