Ten Forward Lounge - Miscellaneous General Chat & Welcome Thread

Feb 10 Chinese new year
How do you work out the animal you get for when you are born?

The Wikipedia page has a handy chart with the exact dates, which will give you what you're looking for (well, assuming you're not over 100 years old).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac#Years

Most charts you see just base it on the year (eg - 2024 -> Dragon), but since the lunar new year doesn't start on January 1, if you're born within the first 7-ish weeks of the year, that won't necessarily give you the right answer.

The Wikipedia page has a handy chart with the exact dates, which will give you what you're looking for (well, assuming you're not over 100 years old).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac#Years

Most charts you see just base it on the year (eg - 2024 -> Dragon), but since the lunar new year doesn't start on January 1, if you're born within the first 7-ish weeks of the year, that won't necessarily give you the right answer.

That's cool thank you

So that would make my birth year goat if I am reading that right

The animals are a 12 year cycle that goes Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Pig. We are just entering into the year of the Dragon.

Dragon years are definitely considered some of the most auspicious.

There are also the five traditional Chinese elements of Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water that runs in a 10 year cycle with the animals You get Yang Wood, Yin Wood, Yang Fire, Yin Fire, and so on. This year is Yang, Wood.

Here's a list by year to work it out

Edit: looks like I got beaten to it :D

Oh, I'm a dog
Part of me wants to crack a joke from that.
Another part of me says that's rude, juvenile, and you're too new to say that.
Another part of me says it's likely the same joke you're making. So I don't need to make it since it's already been made. So, I'm going to listen to that part of me.
:biggrin:

The animals are a 12 year cycle that goes Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Pig. We are just entering into the year of the Dragon.

Dragon years are definitely considered some of the most auspicious.

There are also the five traditional Chinese elements of Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water that runs in a 10 year cycle with the animals You get Yang Wood, Yin Wood, Yang Fire, Yin Fire, and so on. This year is Yang, Wood.

Here's a list by year to work it out

Edit: looks like I got beaten to it :D

So the Chinese were the original benders...

So the Chinese were the original benders...

Not exactly. Avatar uses the traditional Greek elements (Earth, Wind, Fire and Water) which is not the same as the Chinese zodiac elements (Earth, Wood, Fire, Water and Metal).

So far as I know there aren't any woodbenders, although if you do find one I have a really nice idea for some cute furniture designs.

Hey, everyone. I'm new around here, so I wanted to properly introduce myself.

I'm a 43-year-old Texan, born and raised. My first introduction to "Star Trek" was probably through one of the TOS movies on VHS. But when I was 7 years old, my uncle and I started watching "The Next Generation", and we saw almost every episode during its original run. I enjoy all four films based on the show, and also liked "Voyager" when it first came out...but it took me a long time to warm up to "Deep Space Nine". I don't really care for "Enterprise", mainly because in my opinion its too advanced to be taken seriously as a prequel show, even though I like Scott Bakula as an actor. I don't have Paramount Plus, so I haven't seen any of the recent programs, but I did buy all three seasons of "Picard" on Blu-Ray. I saw the first reboot film from 2009, but it was only once, and to be honest I was not impressed. I do want to see the "DS9" documentary though, and I'm looking forward to the release of the "Voyager" one as well.

I've been fortunate to meet some of the actors from "Star Trek", and most of them were nice to me. I've had encounters with Marina Sirtis, Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, Denise Crosby, Gates McFadden, Wil Wheaton, John deLancie, Robert Beltran, Robert Picardo, and Walter Koenig. I haven't been to any conventions in ten years though, mainly because they've become so expensive...but hopefully that will change someday.

Anyway, I think that's enough of an intro for now. Thanks for having me - I appreciate it.

Welcome to the board, @Moviefan2k4 ! I hope you enjoy it here! :hugegrin:

I hope so, too. I like to think of myself as a pretty nice guy, but I'm not PC, and I tend to clash a lot with people who have a very steadfast Leftist position. I don't force what I think down people's throats, but I don't like being expected to walk on eggshells, either. I believe you can firmly disagree with someone, and it doesn't mean you automatically hate them.

I hope so, too. I like to think of myself as a pretty nice guy, but I'm not PC, and I tend to clash a lot with people who have a very steadfast Leftist position. I don't force what I think down people's throats, but I don't like being expected to walk on eggshells, either. I believe you can firmly disagree with someone, and it doesn't mean you automatically hate them.

Well, that is…quite the introduction.

Not exactly. Avatar uses the traditional Greek elements (Earth, Wind, Fire and Water) which is not the same as the Chinese zodiac elements (Earth, Wood, Fire, Water and Metal).

So far as I know there aren't any woodbenders, although if you do find one I have a really nice idea for some cute furniture designs.
That would be kind of interesting idea of a woodbender and unique designs that could come up with.

Interesting that the Avatar forgets the fifth element that some Greeks were trying to make.

Back