Spoilers Tech issue with 1x06

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RobertCardassian, Oct 23, 2017.

1. superior cackling hen

superior cackling hen Cadet Newbie

There were only 2 Crossfield class Warships produced and they obviously had prototype technology installed when deployed, and, one was even destroyed after all hands were killed while continuing to develop the Spore drive, so is it so surprising for Discovery to have a Battle Simulation hologram? Real world militaries spend outrageous amounts of money on developing tech during times of War, and compared to the cost of developing the Spore drive, both financially, and with the loss of lives, a hologram simulation isnt out of the ordinary.

Many posters have an undeserved, or at least un-researched issue with some tech from a decade earlier being more advanced than that in TOS.

This is currently 2017. The fastest EVER passenger jet first flew a commercial flight in 1976,.....in 42 years we have nothing as fast as the Concord SST. The world record speed and altitude flight for an oxygen breathing aircraft, (not including Rockets) was in 1976 also, in 42 years we have no military jet faster than the SR-71.

It shouldn't be that surprising that a starship developed during such a devastating military conflict could have tech more advanced than a starship developed a decade later when Star Fleet is Exploring the boundaries of mankind.

KennyB likes this.
  2. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

What boggles my noggin, well boggle is the wrong word, I mean I understand it, but what I don't agree with is this perception that show creators be faithfully trying to stick with whatever interpretation of TOS tech.

When TOS was created they had a horrid budget, it was the imagination of what the future would look like from a perspective of 50 years ago. If we're getting a new show, prequel or not, it's kind of weird to me, to expect the show creators to not imagine the future from today's angle. Enjoying sci-fi takes a little bit of an imagination on most fronts, I always thought this tech thing was a smidge nitpicky.

KennyB, Succubint and Feron like this.
  3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Not according to CBS:

cultcross and Feron like this.
  4. superior cackling hen

superior cackling hen Cadet Newbie

I'm actually open-minded with what the WRITERS are doing. I have just seen so many posters upset about Discovery not using pre-retro TOS tech, that I wanted to present an option for those posters to get around that obstacle, and be able to enjoy an amazing show.

There are so many great aspects to admire, yet so many posts by viewers who only see problems.

KennyB and GeekUSACarl like this.
  5. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I figured it was mainly the word "canon" associated with that startrek.com website database that led people to conclude it was canon. That database does not count as an official CBS announcement. I've found plenty of mistakes in the database before, they probably didn't put much thought into its canon status.

6. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The thing is, TOS tech is still amazing. The conversational computer, tricorders and communicators, force fields, and yes, food synthesizers, are still all far beyond our capabilities. I've been saying since long before DSC was released that all of this still works today, there's no need to change the concepts, just present them with modern set building / prop making / special effects quality, tweak the language where necessary (use data tapes but don't call them tapes), and showcase the full extent of their abilities. It turns out, that's exactly what DSC did.

7. Ithekro

It is enough that they included it back into their listings as before they were voided entirely.

BillJ likes this.
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily.

There may have been only two such ships that had the shroom-vroom drive, but there's nothing that suggests they were the only ships of that class to ever be built.

Indeed, there'd have to be at least a third (the USS Crossfield)... ;)

9. Ithekro

One guesses we see a Crossfield-class starship, or even a few different starships of that class, in the future. There was a similar looking ship in Spacedock in Star Trek III, and similar ships seen again in various graveyards and deactivated ships in yards images in TNG.

10. zar

If there were more Crossfields then Starfleet must have at least intended more spore drives, since the whole design is built around it.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

^ The ship is a perfectly fine science vessel even without the spore drive.

12. Ithekro

It could be that they are building more now that Discovery has proven the drive works, but things happen and the class gets built with normal saucers later.

Or the Crossfield-class is older and Glenn and Discovery were refit for the Spore Drive due to the war happening, and USS Crossfield and others of its class don't have the two sectional saucer and the long warp nacelles.

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

We still don't know which bits of the NCC-1031 are necessary for the S-drive. The spinning saucer bits are used in connection with it, but perhaps they would be used in connection with other tech on other ships of the class? Apart from that, all we know is that Stamets puts one of those spore containers in a hole at Engineering and then pushes needles into his hides to commune with the spores; perhaps he could do that aboard any random starship, or aboard a rowing boat for that matter?

Timo Saloniemi

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since TAS has most definitely been used as source material for live-action productions such as ENT and ST09, it counts just as much as anything else. In other words, it's part of the canon of materials that TPTB draw from.

Kor

15. marsh8472

Good for memory alpha. But since they don't own the rights to the series it doesn't matter.

16. zar

"This entire ship was designed around my scientific specialty." -Stamets

It could be used for other things, but it's pretty clear the S-drive was the purpose of the design.

17. zar

The database we're talking about is startrek.com, not Memory Alpha.

18. marsh8472

Definitely wrong here. In enterprise episode "future tense" the time ship that was bigger on the inside than the outside was inspired by Doctor Who. But this does not make Doctor Who part of Star Trek canon

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Stamets is hardly objective in this matter. Of course he'd claim that the ship was designed for him. He really is that arrogant.

Feron likes this.
  20. zar

You know, you had an opportunity to make a sensible point for once (hint: novels), but you blew it and came up with this nonsense instead. The TARDIS did not appear in ENT. Actual elements of TAS have been incorporated and canonized.

Kor likes this.