teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you might be the only one that really feels that way.

While O'Niell was a big character, probably the biggest, there were growing more towards the other characters throughout the show. Plus Daniel was also very important. To me it was more a continuation of the movie, and as time went on we learned more of the supporting characters. Sam started having bigger roles on season two onwards.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Ark of Truth: And so another religion dies at the hands of Science Fiction.

[​IMG]

I loved the whole thing. What a satisfying and interesting finale. Drama, shock (I almost had a heart attack when the replicator appeared), and enough of an open ending not to be smug.

So they really did manage to wipe out a whole race of ascended beings.. wow. I guess that's why they weren't too concerned with using a machine to change the Ori follower's minds like the original folk who had it. After genocide what's a little mass mind wiping.

I found Teal'c's talk to Tomin on how you live with what evils you have done very moving, in fact I would say it was Teal'c's greatest moment and one of the most emotional things I've see in Stargate. That it occurred fairly early on in the movie set the scene for how serious both personally and galaxy wide these events were going to be. Religion, Vala's daughter, Vala's husband, betrayal by the IOC, sympathy for the betrayer as he turns replicator zombie.. there is a lot of deep stuff in this.

Also, Vala has great tits:

[​IMG]

The snowy mountain peaks that the movie opens with were stunning, and there is some lovely fantasy scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was super impressed with how fabulous they made Adria look during her pah wraith appearances. This is just gorgeous stuff! Put her on the cover of a Game :adore:

[​IMG]

I like how Tomin (who looked completely hot in this movie) is now in a leadership position and wanting to sift through the Ori teachings and look for a way to hang onto the good. Perhaps the Ori followers won't fall into the hands of another power mad group as easily as happened to so many when freed from the Goa'uld if everything that gave meaning to their lives isn't ripped away from them.

Great movie all round, very satisfying.

ONE MORE TO GO.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Ark of Truth was a pretty good movie, but the stuff with the Replicators was certainly a low point. Replicators are just worn out, and "enough is enough." That said, the Terminator Replicator was kind of cool.

Unfortunately, we never really do get any kind of decent resolution with the Ori invasion. Yes, the Ori themselves are gone, and the Priors no longer believe, thereby stripping Adria of her powers. But the Priors still command starships that are practically undefeatable, an army equally as powerful and have a foothold in the Milky Way. Do they really just pack it up and go home.

On the nitpick side of things, early on in the movie, in the briefing discussing a plan to destroy the Supergate, Mitchell asks why they just don't try another plan of connecting it to a gate near a black hole in Pegasus. Carter says they coan't do that due to the risk of being attacked by the Wraith. If that's the only thing wrong with that plan, why not just do it with a black hole in the Asgard's galaxy?

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Asgard Galaxy is infested with Replicators, isn't it?

5. The Wormhole

I thought they all went to the Mlky Way and were therefore eradicated in season 8? Certainly the Asgard seemed to live in relative peace after season 8 regularly sending technicians to help out the SGC or serve on Earth starships.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, OK, maybe. I hadn't consiered it was possible for "All" of them, they're so good at replicating, they're worse then rodents, LOL.

7. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

:rommie:

8. bigdaddy

That's putting it nicely. I remember going "What the fuck is this!? We don't need the fucking robot bugs! Leave them dead already!"

It's like the Borg in Voyager, just too damn much. It's why I didn't like the later seasons of Atlantis, i didn't need more of them. The writers should have came up with new things, or hire people who could.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed all of the Ori aspects of The Ark of Truth, I thought it was a solid (if somewhat convenient, though pretty much all of SG-1's nemeses were vanquished thanks to a bunch of conveniences) ending to the storyline. But I completely agree with The Wormhole and bigdaddy about the Replicator subplot. I was never a fan of the Replicators to begin with, but there was absolutely no need to add them into AoT. It's like they came up with the A-plot and then realized they had a bunch of room left over, so they added in this idiotic Replicator B-plot to fill out the running time.

The scene between Teal'c and Tomin is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.

10. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

People always moan about the Replicators, then end up loving everything they're in. Remember the whining about the Asurans? Then we got First Strike and Be All My Sins Remember'd and people were creaming over them.

11. Skywalker

When I heard that they were bringing Replicators into SGA, I stopped watching. :p

12. The Wormhole

To be honest, Replicator episodes were my least favourite of Atlantis. Okay, Be All My Sins Remember's is kind of a cool combat episode, but otherwise I could have done without the Replicators.

Besides, it always struck me as though Atlantis wanted something to do with all the Ancient ships and costumes they had created in season 2 and the obvious solution was to bring in Replicators that mimic the Ancients. Personally, I'd have preferred they bring in a villainous faction of the Ancients themselves, but that's a whole other matter.

13. bigdaddy

That was my problem with later Stargate, it was lame and weak, and predictable. It was just all of the same; more and more of the same.

I got used to "Look we found a cure for all our problems" storylines, but so many Replicators is just annoying. It was completely out of place and they should have just included more character moments.

And on Atlantis you would think they are in a new galaxy and that there should be new bad guys, new things. We get got vampire bugs and more Replicators. Humans ones at that, the bugs were at least neat looking.

14. gturner

gturner Admiral

I don't have any recollection of the replicator sub-plot in Ark of Truth, which probably says something about it.

15. Skywalker

From what I've heard they also had evil Asgard at one point. :rolleyes:

16. bigdaddy

I forgot about the evil Asgard! I stopped watching by then, but seriously, this is why Stargate needed a break. They should have waited a few years for a third show.

17. teacake

The replicators are my least favorite well.. anything. I watched some Stargate on tv years ago and it was replicator episodes which did not encourage me to go to the huge effort watching sci fi on free to air tv in this country requires. All I remember from that first exposure to Stargate was the sets all looked the same (Goa'uld ship interiors) and the stupid replicators were a really unengaging villain. Then when I ended up jumping into the Stargate universe via Atlantis dvds I was just waiting for the replicators to hurry up and go away. They are like knock off versions of the Borg in Atlantis but with no pathos. It's not good to never care at all about the villain.

However in The Ark of Truth they were the last thing on my mind and I had NO IDEA what the IOA guy had made until it appeared. It was a great shock not only to see it but to see how stupid, desperate, lashing out insane the IOA was to come up with such a thing. When IOA guy was locked in the room doing his dirty work I assumed he wasn't really IOA, he was working for the Lucian Alliance or was a Goa'uld. I enjoy it when the bad guy is one of us with the same ideals just a different path to them so it all worked for me. I didn't mind seeing the replicators take over the ship because it was only one fight, on the planet we Vala and Daniel and Teal'c on their own perilous journey. Also zombie replicator IOA dude was awesomely horrible.
    :techman:

18. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

See, I don't understand that reaction to the IOA plan. It was a hell of a lot more cunning and plausible than the plan that SG-1 had. The Replicators would have decimated the Ori fleet and the shutdown command did work. What did the SGC come up with? Find an Ark that appears in Daniels dreams and that a book of scripture makes some vague reference to, that has been lost for millions of years despite heretics searching high and low for it on their own planet? Sounds legit...

19. The Wormhole

^^I think it has more to do with how the IOA implemented their plan, basically subverting an ongoing mission and placing the Odyssey and its crew in lethal danger. That to me pretty much makes them villains in the story.

20. teacake

What is so hilarious is the entrance to the tunnel that contains the ark is a perfectly visible door sized stone tablet raised above the ground. And yet somehow everyone else has missed it because they didn't have their own personal force ghost standing on top of it.