TAS - Different dialogue style?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by FreddyE, Aug 28, 2017.

1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I´m watching TAS for the first time and have seen the first two episodes so far. Is it me..or is the dialoge style somehow different to TOS? Everyone seems to express themselves way more "compact" then I`m used to from TOS. Kirk seems to have a way more.. abrupt...command style. I´cant put my finger on it..but something about the style of the lines given to the characters just seems...off...somehow.

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

22 minute episodes rather than 50 minute episodes. In most cases, the story outlines were not much shorter than the live action show, so they just had to cram more in to the shorter slot.

--Alex

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Also, they recorded their lines separately, without being in the studio at the same time. They didn't have the opportunity to act off each other, just stand there and do their lines, alone. I think it resulted in less energy and stiffer performances.

Albertese likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The delivery could be a factor too. The three lead actors weren't used to voice acting and many of the recordings were done at whatever local recording studio was available, so they didn't have consistent voice direction. So Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley don't give very good performances in the first season. They do much better in the second season (the final 6 episodes).

5. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Part of it must be the writing...the german dub (which is an almost word for word translation) gives me the same feeling. And that was done by the same voice actors who dubbed TOS / the TOS-Movies (also they used Spocks movie voice actor instead of the TV one...which is a weird combination to hear him together with TV-Kirk).

6. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Oh and btw..what`s up with the theme music? Is that supposed to be a weird version of the TOS-Theme or a totally new piece?

7. Christopher

It's a new theme by the TAS composers Ray Ellis and Norm Prescott (under the pseudonyms Yvette Blais and Jeff Michael), done as a pastiche of Alexander Courage's TOS theme. But then, the TOS theme itself was a pastiche of "Beyond the Blue Horizon," pretty much.

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The word pastiche makes me want ice cream.

Qonundrum, CAPTRousseau and Prax like this.
  9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In some ways, it's almost an "inversion" of Courage's score, a high note where he'd have a lower note and a low note where Sandy would have a higher one. Obviously, not note for note, but in general feel. At least, that's the way it registers within my fetid mush of a brain.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's kind of how I think of it too.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but whatever it is - I've never liked the TAS main score since I first heard it at age 10 on Saturday morning. To me it always sounded like an orchestra tuning their instruments live.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    mos6507 likes this.
  12. Christopher

Well, I've always loved it. But then, I discovered TOS and TAS maybe within a few weeks of each other at most when I was 5 years old, so they were about equal parts of my formative experience with Trek. And the "Blais & Michael" scores for Filmation's shows throughout the '70s were the soundtrack of my childhood.

Michael, publiusr and BoredShipCapt'n like this.
  13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I love the TAS music.

--Alex

Michael, TREK_GOD_1 and Spocko like this.
  14. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Boy is that a stretch. I took a listen on Youtube and I hear almost no similarity whatsoever. If that was used by Courage as inspiration, it sure went off in its own direction.

15. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see if someone gets burned out on TAS music, 30-some minutes total (thanks again @Indysolo!) to cover 22 episodes can get repetitive. But I always liked the music itself.

CorporalCaptain and Indysolo like this.
  16. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

All the Filmation music is sort of a post-60s acid jazz. Sometimes the atonality and dissonance is very very harsh.

17. Christopher

Well, of course. Pastiche doesn't mean a copy, it means a stylistic homage. In this case, the similarities are in the chord structure and progressions, although Courage melded it with a bossa nova-style rhythm. Sometimes two pieces of music can have very different melodies but identical chord progressions (musicians call them "changes"), so that if you play them simultaneously, they fit seamlessly. (If "Blue Horizon" doesn't work for you, try "From Out of Nowhere." I believe Dennis McCarthy used it in the holodeck scenes of "The Big Goodbye" as an in-joke because its melody and chords were so similar to the Courage ST theme.)

I still remember when my musician father pointed out to me that the Flintstones theme had what jazz musicians call "Rhythm changes," i.e. the same chord progressions and structure as the song "I Got Rhythm." The melodies are very different, and I'd never noticed a similarity, but if you play them (or imagine them) simultaneously, they mesh neatly, with the notes in one fitting into the gaps in the other, essentially.

I also remember when Serenity came out, and people were hoping the original Firefly theme song would be included in it. And there was an instrumental piece at the end of the closing credits that some fans swore was the Firefly theme but other fans swore was nothing like it. That's because it had the same changes but a different enough melody to be legally a different piece of music. So people whose ear for music was based more on melody heard two different songs, while people whose ear was based more on harmony and structure heard two variations on the same song. I tend more toward the latter group, so it took me a few listens to figure out what was going on there.

Interesting. I grew up with that music, but I never thought of it as jazz -- and I don't even know what "acid jazz" is. (My father probably knew, but I guess we never really talked about the stylistic influences of Filmation music. Which is surprising, since I talked about my fondness for that music quite a bit, and he loved explaining stuff about music.)

Although different Filmation scores from Ellis and Prescott had different influences. I'd say Flash Gordon and Blackstar were influenced by classic movie-serial scores, The New Adventures of the Lone Ranger by Westerns, The New Adventures of Zorro by Latin music and again by old movie scores, etc.

Spocko, BoredShipCapt'n and J.T.B. like this.
  18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will admit I find myself occasionally humming Filmation's "Flash Gordon" score. As you noted, it really caught the atmosphere of the vintage RKO and Universal serials along with a flair of "A" budget swashbuckling films of that era.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

20. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nearly every design element of Flash Gordon was either an extrapolation of, or lifted directly from the original art by Alex Raymond, Al Williamson and Mac Raboy. This includes costumes, props, and yes, ships too.