Taika Waititi to write and direct Thor 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mage, Jul 17, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who says you have to take something seriously in order for it to be good, sometimes it's nice to just have fun.

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

You could have fun with it being more serious. Winter Soldier for instance. A vastly more enjoyable and fun movie because it was more serious. It felt like a actual threat.

ichab likes this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also it feels like its something that could actually happen. Like if SHIELD and superheroes were real, Winter Soldier's story could actually happen. There are no universes in which Thor 3 would happen.

4. thribs

How would you know? Have you traveled the multiverse? :)

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I think you might have backed yourself into a corner. You're talking about a comic book character. They don't all have to be dark and have lines like " It was providence!" and lean hard on the religious undertones.

If you're looking for a serious comic book movie you might have to look somewhere else.

6. thribs

I think there is a middle ground. I’ve read a few Thor comics over the years and I wouldn’t say they were dark, but I wouldn’t call them lighthearted as well.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

How I would love an "I say thee nay!" though. :)

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not really sure I'd call movies like The Winter Soldier fun. It's a great movie, and there is some humor, but not really enough for me to call it fun.
    Whether or not something could actually happen is the absolute lowest thing on my list of expectations when I'm going to see sci-fi fantasy movie about Norse gods and a giant green rage monster, on an alien planet controlled by Jeff Goldblum at a rave.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the point. There is no enjoyment in movies like that. There are no rules so shit just happens. It's cheap. Cheapest form of entertainment by far.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not true at all, those kind movies still have their own set of rules they follow, it's just that the rules are different from the ones in our world.

McCoy's Disco Collar likes this.
  11. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

HARD disagree.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why take any Star Trek more seriously than "The Trouble With Tribbles"?

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep--the greatest Thor stories (in his own comic) from the Silver & Bronze Age of Thor (the Lee/Kirby - Lee/Conway/Buscema periods) were so much a series of grand, often dark stories that had weight, spoke its own language, and had little interaction with other Marvel characters. The first Thor movie held that promise, but was utterly blasted away from every appearance going forward, where he was just as Stark mockingly referred to him--"Point Break"--a dim, hammer-swinging faux surfer.

Not at all. Thor in his first movie still had a character that was distant from humans--his manner and perceptions were alien to human, as it should be. His entire realm felt like it was its own universe, until the PTB had to go in the direction of never taking much seriously for more than ten minutes at a time.

Same concerns.

Yep. If a character has been reduced to a self-effacing dope and is the butt of jokes when he's supposed to be a commanding hero (with some emotional flaws), then he's simply not going to be extended comic relief. That's not the essence of the character at his best.

Bad example. That was one episode--but I'll toss in "A Piece of the Action" and "I, Mudd" as well, but three episodes out of 79 did not color the perception of TOS as some joke-fest. It was seen as the sci-fi drama it was meant to be. Contrast that to most of Thor's appearances, which are now borderline satirical than what the character is suppose to be.

The Lensman likes this.
  14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not a real trailer.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Huh. It had footage I hadn't seen before. Oh well.

17. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Footage from other movies

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

McCoy's Disco Collar likes this.
  19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That's still a whole 2 hour movie.

20. McCoy's Disco Collar

McCoy's Disco Collar Commander Red Shirt

But a step in the right direction.