News Superman & Lois Ordered to Series at The CW

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jan 14, 2020.

1. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

To me they're all part of the same overarching principle.

The magnitude of her powers, the variety shown, her ability and training to use them.

Not as concerned with the variety shown since I think they've shown her full arsenal already.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think we've reached the point where I'm just going to agree to disagree and move on.

TheMadCloner likes this.
  3. TheMadCloner

Fair enough. :)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hell, yes, because you're so unfamiliar with how this all works that you blamed the writers for something that isn't even their job. Blaming the wrong people is textbook unfairness. And judging without full knowledge, or with false assumptions (like your inexplicable failure to recognize that the scene was in slow motion), is also unfair. Fairness means giving people the benefit of the doubt. It means being willing to understand their side of things and consider possibilities in their defense rather than just assuming the worst about them.

5. TheMadCloner

Well, I've already mentioned that they ARE capable of great fights. Supergirl vs. Reign, Supergirl vs. Non being two examples. So to be fair, if they're capable of that standard, they should always be held to that standard. I've also given the Season 4 writers praise for the stories they told.

I understand you're a writer and naturally you'll be more defensive about your "turf." If I've touched a nerve there, I apologize. But if you've read through my posts in this thread, you'll see that I've criticized more than just the writers. The writers ARE the ones who are primarily responsible for deciding how the character interactions proceed, though - and that includes any potential conflicts, fights and ideas about certain powers being used/depicted at certain points. I realize that some of that has to be OK'ed by production and the director, but it all starts with the writing.

I'll also say that the entire scene I criticized isn't meant to entirely be in slow motion. I don't think the part where Lex jumps up in the air to shoot her is supposed to be slow motion. The acrobatics before that, yes. But the jump, probably not. It's also not unreasonable to expect Supergirl to be able to anticipate, react and plan to attack in super speed regardless.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Unless The Flash is fighting another speedster, he should be practically invincible. In the modern era he is even faster than Superman and should be able to beat a Kryptonian just by stealing Batman's kryptonite ring and hitting Superman faster than he can react.

7. TheMadCloner

You're assuming Batman just lets Flash steal his ring? We're talking about probably the smartest and most prepared member of the JL here. ;)

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman would gladly let Barry take the ring if Superman ever became a threat. Barry should be able to single-handedly take down any threat who is short of invulnerable--millions of punches a second--even if they were "love taps"--should take down anything. Of course, Batman, like the Thinker, would always be prepared--so perhaps they could be the exceptions.

9. TheMadCloner

You're assuming Superman is the threat and not Flash? ;)

I'm pretty sure Batman would figure which one is evil(er) and find a way to help the other person win.

theenglish likes this.
  10. YLu

YLu Captain Captain

But in the one specific case you've highlighted, you realize that probably isn't the case, right? It has nothing do with the writing. Unless you think the script specifically asked for the character to be floating stationary for two seconds -- and c'mon, it almost certainly didn't. Let's be real.

11. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because Superman is the hero of heroes--the inspiration, and yes, the most powerful. That's who he is. But, part of his appeal is that despite that, he's an exception to the rule that absolute power corrupts absolutely. He is a mortal that can handle it due to his amazing upbringing.

Sometimes he will be challenged with issues that all his power can't fix and he needs another solution. Sometimes there will be issues that only he can handle. It's not just about his power--it's about his good nature and how much he cares about truth, justice and the American way. That's Superman.

Sometimes there can be a story that is just heartwarming and heartbreaking, like For The Man Who Has Everything, which Supergirl ripped off and didn't do as well.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Captain Marvel/Shazam (or Black Adam?) is stronger.

Captain Marvel/Shazam (or Black Adam?) reeks of a pungent bloom of Magic.

Is Superman still/currently allergic to magical energy?

13. TheMadCloner

If you're asking if the script or screenplay specifically said "Supergirl floats in the air for 2 seconds before Lex shoots her down" - no, it very likely didn't specifically say that.

What it did probably detail is something like "Lex shoots Supergirl, knocking her to the ground. Lex aims his cannon at her again as she struggles to her feet." - or something similar to that.

My point is that the entire concept of what they came up with to be the resolution to that fight is unsatisfactory. Even ignoring the fight choreography, ignoring the whole floating in the air thing, does the idea of Supergirl being beaten by Lex so easily seem satisfactory to you? Should Lex just be able to shoot Supergirl a few times and completely disable her? She literally doesn't even get an attack in. The entire concept is a disservice to what her abilities should let her do. The fight choreography on top of that makes her look untrained. It's lazy writing, questionable direction and clumsy choreography. I mean, I get it, they wanted to have Red Daughter redeem herself and save Supergirl. It doesn't mean they have to make Supergirl look more or less completely inept. The writers should be able to think of more creative ways to get to the end result they want. "Lex shoots Supergirl and disables her" isn't creative and it makes her look weak, even if it's unintentional on their part.

And again, the same crew IS capable of better writing, better direction and better choreography. The Reign fight is a clear example of that. The end result of both the Lex and the Reign battles is still the same: Supergirl gets beat. The difference is that in the Reign fight, she gets beat only after a satisfying battle where BOTH the hero and the villain are made to look capable.

The writers are also capable of more creativity. In the Non fight, Supergirl doesn't kill Non or simply knock him out with a punch. She burns through his eyes, permanently disabling his powers.

I'm not asking for perfection; I already love the stories they write and I love the themes they try to promote. I love Melissa Benoist's acting. I just also want them to give Supergirl the abilities she deserves. So we can watch her and say "damn, this girl kicks ass!" once in a while. :)

14. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

TheMadCloner likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just came here to post that. I'm not familiar with her, but so far the Arrowverse's casting has been pretty good overall, so I trust that she's a good choice.
    I agree on all of this, and I think they'll be able to do all of that perfectly well with the character as he's already been portrayed on Supergirl

The Realist likes this.
  16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I looked up Chriqui's credits, and it turns out I know her mainly from her voice work. She was Cheetara in the anime-style 2011 Thundercats reboot and the main female antagonist Paige in TRON: Uprising, and she's played a DC character before, Sapphire Stagg in Beware the Batman.

17. TheMadCloner

She was also on Entourage. Very charming actress.

urbandefault likes this.
  18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was trying to think of a funny way to make a quip about Aquaman but have failed.

urbandefault and TheMadCloner like this.
  19. TheMadCloner

I didn't even think of that angle, lol.

20. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore