Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. AFEK ESLCAFE W

AFEK ESLCAFE W Lieutenant Commander Newbie

^^

Save Luthor for the next film.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's what I've said I think they're going to do.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never really understood the point of the bald thing myself. It feels like such an outdated, cartoonish idea for what an "evil villain" is supposed to look like. And I just don't think it's necessary for the character anymore.

Hell, the Joker has always been drawn with a pointy chin in the comics, and no one ever demands that the live-action Jokers have one.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Also a CANON VIOLATION!!!!!!! :p

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, maybe it's just because he happens to be bald. Lots of men are. Lots more men are, in fact, than you'd think from reading comic books.

I'm not.

6. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Braggart.

7. Captaindemotion

You mean, that's not you in your avatar?

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, to begin with, no one in real life is going to look like the Joker. Conversely, there are lots of actors, including (off the top of my head) Bruce Willis, Billy Zane, Patrick Stewart, Terry O'Quinn, John Malkovich and Vin Diesel, who are as bald as Lex.

There's also the fact that, in the limited visuals of a comic book world, the one thing that makes Lex look like Lex is the lack of hair.

And, to draw another comparison to the Joker, maybe no one needs the pointy chin, but they do expect a white face and green hair. Lex's shiny pate is as much his distinguishing trait as Mr. J's mossy dome is his.

9. the G-man

And, speaking of O'Quinn, I realize that there's a tendency to have Lex and Clark be contemporaries, but how freaking cool would a Terry O'Quinn Lex Luthor be?

10. Captaindemotion

Crispin Glover and Christopher Eccleston come pretty close IMHO (hair and skin colours aside!). Not forgetting Conrad Veidt, from The Man Who Laughed, on whom old smiley-chops was based.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be cool. And we've seen him play Howard Hughes before, so we already know he can pull off the billionaire industrialist thing.

12. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Someone else coming close is (or at least once was) Tim Curry. He was even in the running to play the Joker in the first Burton movie. And to this day, I hold my opinion that he would have even topped Nicholson's Joker.

13. the G-man

That they do, but I was thinking of that impossibly elongated chin he has when drawn by Aparo or Adams

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually had the exact same thought when I saw his name in the post before yours.

15. Captaindemotion

Oh, yes, I always thought he would have been brilliant in that role. Actually, he's an actor we see too little of in general.

16. the G-man

Yeah, I've thought of Curry as probably the definitive Joker since I saw "rocky horror' in high school back in the early 80s

17. Captaindemotion

^ I remember overhearing someone saying that "'im 'rry" is playing the Riddler in the new Batman film' and thinking that at last Tim was getting his big break! Of course, it was Jim Carrey, not Tim Curry - though I wasn't too disappointed in that choice either.

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I always thought that Ray Liotta (Goodfellas) would have made a great Joker.

19. Captaindemotion

^ Interesting choice. Perhaps not a traditional physical match for the character (nor were Nicholson or Ledger, of course) but he'd definitely bring the craziness and unpredictability.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone want to speculate when we'll see footage from the film? I read something from last month saying that DC won't show the first trailer for six months...which would be sometime around comic con. I think they'll have a strong presence at SDCC this year. I've read a lot of thoughts from my friends who think the teaser will be attached with "The Dark Knight Rises" which makes sense. Production wraps up here in Vancouver in two weeks. I expect though we could get a teaser poster in the next couple of months. Not sure why I think that but that's just a gut feeling. We'll probably hear about who will compose in that time frame. I don't think it will be Tyler Bates as he's got a couple of projects already for 2012 he is working on.