Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, everyone needs to lay off of Clark's area. It's unseemly.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman's suit in the comics is up for a pretty radical redesign, so by the time the movie comes out a redesign for the movie will be pretty much in the spirit of the new DC. Although, the Earth 2 style insignia is an interesting choice.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not convinced that Superman's outfit is game for 'radical redsign'. Any modern redsign is usually only a temporary measure that instantly dates.

However, I'm not going to lose any sleep over a lack of red undies despite my preference for their inclusion.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

7. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Looks like looong Kryptonian capes are "in" this year. ;)

8. Savage Dragon

I really like the cape. Even though those pictures are obviously from a great distance I think they look good. It really does look like Superman walking down a street.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The cape is fantastic. The shield is great as well. I can live with no trunks.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think anyone's ever died from going commando. :devil:

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Agreed. :bolian:

12. Savage Dragon

I've been skipping over all the posts about story content and what not because I hate spoliers but I have to say I am still pretty pumped to see this movie!

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

No. No. No! Totally wrong! If they had any brains, they'd stop production right now! Fire everyone, cast Tom Welling. Throw him in the George Reeves Superman suit and have him punch some robots commanded by Lex Luthor, Braniac, and Doomsday! That's what everyone wants to see anyways! This movie is totally going to flop.

:shifty:

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it will be a very important plot point for him to acquire the red trunks.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Now it's official. That is one stupid looking costume. Without the red at midpoint to break up all that blue (and no "S" shield on the cape as seen from other pics as well as the rubbery texturing and raised shield on the chest)) this design just doesn't work at all for me. Yuch! :rolleyes:

I don't understand what is so hard about this. Superman has a readily identifiable and established look that doesn't need to be messed with and has worked very well for decades, granted with minor tweaking for each project. Yet in SR they gave Supes the pleather look and the wrong shade of red and now they're making him the blue rubber man. :rolleyes: For me this is now one black eye for this production.

I will never forget the first image I saw of Christopher Reeve in costume. It was a large photo of him in costume against a city skyline on the pages of The Toronto Star back in 1977/78. I took one look at the photo and thought no matter what this picture turns out like this guy sure as hell looks the part.

:rolleyes:

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Much better looking without the red BVDs. I approve. :techman:

I think I'd have played down the boots too, though. They're also the least appealing part of the comic book redesign that's about to premiere, as far as I can see from what's been released.

Cavill looks to be built more like a comic book Superman than any of the folks who've played Supes previously.

17. Savage Dragon

I think you're right about the boots. They seem a little out of place without the red trunks.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They should have removed the boots entirely, just make everything blue.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Of course, it's inevitable that Dennis will pop up to tell us that anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong and totally out of touch, just as RAMA does when it comes to TOS-R in the Trek forums.

:rolleyes: Why do they feel they have to reinvent the wheel? If the casting is good and the story is good then the established suit works as is. This strikes me as needlessly tampering with something just for the hell of it without any justification. I've been pretty quiet about this until now because this really pisses me off.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, because that's exactly what my saying that I like and prefer the new look (with a caveat) consists of - condemning your opinion. :rolleyes:

Something like that, I think, yeah. Or reshape the boots and render them in a darker shade of blue from the rest of the outfit.