Spoilers Supergirl - Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the CAT scan is Reign's kryptonite?

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In this instance no. Reign's powers are coming from somewhere else other than absorbion of the energy from a yellow sun and they don't always manifest themselves (remember back to Sam's earliest appearances and she was vulnerable as everyone else).

Plus is if Alex suddenly found she couldn't get a needle in it would sound alarm bells ringing.

3. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if Reign is essentially being turned on and off by that woman she talks to in her fortress?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's exactly what made the scene feel like a bit of a cheat to me. As we've seen in decades of Superman stories, any other doctor could've encountered anomalies like a needle breaking on Sam's skin or an unusual neurological structure in her MRI and just rationalized it away somehow, but Alex is the one doctor who would instantly recognize the signs of Kryptonian origin, if any existed. So the story required the contrivance of Sam appearing utterly human both inside and out when her powers are turned off.

And speaking of contrivances, what the hell happened to Alex's cast? Last week, she could barely stand without crutches, and this week, she's completely healed and walking around with no difficulty. But surely she wouldn't have waited to take action after Sam told her there was something seriously wrong with her, so this episode should be no more than a couple of days after the last one. She shouldn't have healed that quickly.

5. dahj

'twas a flesh-fractured tibia... :D

Greg Cox and Unicron like this.
  6. JasonJ

JasonJ Commander Red Shirt

On that point... When Kara and Lena were talking about how Lena helped Kara through her thing with Mon El ... when did his real name ever get revealed or mentioned to Lena? I thought to everyone else he was "Mike" or whatever...?

Was that a writer snafu? Where by knowing Kara and Mon El were a thing, and that was his name- and previously being aware that he was a Daxamite, that should connect the dots for Lena that Kara is SG, if she hadn't already (which I think she has). Or did I forget something from late last season where "human" Kara and Daxamite Mon El were publicly known to be a couple?

7. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It might have been a writer snafu, a case where the writers are using what the audience knows but the characters are not supposed to know. But I could be remembering something wrong. But I have seen a youtube review that also suggests that that scene is where Lena figures out that Kara is Supergirl.

JasonJ likes this.
  8. dahj

When they were engaged. :p

(yes, seriously)

JasonJ likes this.
  9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

yep, either in the writers' room or in universe, something went wrong. Kara wasn't dating a superhero, so Lena should have been shocked that Kara's ex was flying. Or figured out that Kara IS Supergirl and her ex was also a superhero. Which may be more likely, given that she remembered Kara flying with her earlier in the episode.

So, do we now get to move into the multi-season "why won't you tell me your secret?" angst that Lex and Clark went through in Smallville? :lol:

JasonJ likes this.
  10. dahj

I wasn't kidding with my previous post.
    Lena and Mon-El were supposed to be married in last season's penultimate episode.

Lena knew that Kara was dating Mon-El, the alien superpowered prince, who was forced to leave because of the lead bomb. The only surprise was that he was back.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Oh right, the shotgun wedding plan, forgot that part.

The more people are seen in public, though, the more silly the "oh, she wears glasses, great disguise" thing is. By herself, no context, MAYBE you can pull it off. When both personas are seen interacting with the same people (but never at the same time), should ruin things quickly. Adds all of the context that the disguise is trying to hide.

Kara is dating an alien with superpowers? Isn't that the same guy we've seen out fighting bad guys with Supergirl. He's kinda chummy with her, does Kara know he's cheating? Hey, wait, they both have that same dimple over their nose....

Romulan_spy likes this.
  12. JasonJ

JasonJ Commander Red Shirt

Oh snap! Yes, you're right! I totally forgot about Lois' er... I mean, Mon El's mom's plan to marry them. I guess that part of the story just wasn't that memorable.

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Mon'el showed us Lena's true colors when he said his lead allergy was cured by L corp in the (?) 24th century. I don't think an evil Lena would have birthed such a conscientious corporation.

ETA... Although TPTB kept pointing out how smart Lena is, I still find it hilarious that Lena doesn't see what is right in front of her, that Kara is SG, and now that James is Guardian. Heck, Cat Grant figured him out the first time she met Guardian.

Also, am I the only one who wondered if Kara and Lena were going to jump to the wrong conclusion when Alex and Sam showed up at work, asking to speak with them about something personal?

;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Why, after 54 episodes, is there still a misunderstanding that Kara's glasses are a "disguise" for her?

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because, after eight decades, I think people are starting to realize that Detective Comics' "disguises" shouldn't really hold-up under scrutiny.

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh?

Kara's glasses are as much a part of who she is - even with her depression-induced "identity crisis" this season - as, for example, Alex's sexual orientation is for her; she does remove them when she's Supergirl, but they're not a 'disguise' in the sense that they're meant to "fool" people.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice to know that an exploded car can be salvaged and its computer hardware thoroughly diagnosed.... Oops.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If we can accept that a humanoid alien can levitate her body and lift huge objects in defiance of the laws of mechanics and leverage, then we can suspend disbelief about the efficacy of a disguise. Implausibly convincing disguises have been a common trope of fiction for ages. Look at how many of Shakespeare's characters pulled it off. (Although it was probably easier in the past, because pre-electric indoor lighting was terrible and people couldn't see each other all that clearly.)

And then there's that other category of implausibly effective disguise, the Mission: Impossible-style mask. Even M:I's pilot treated the masks as being only marginally convincing for a brief period, but by the end of the first season, it was presumed that latex-mask disguises were so perfect that you could wear one for days, eat through it, sleep in it, somehow sweat through it, and even receive electric-shock torture while wearing it, without it being damaged or discovered.

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Companies change hands and leadership constantly, if they last long enough. Lena can still be evil, but her successors may take the company in a different direction.

While its no longer believable for most superhero alter-egos to remain hidden around the people who are in close contact with them every day (like Kara and James around Lena), I suspect she knows the identities of both Supergirl & the Guardian and will eventually exploit this knowledge. I see Lena as being the CW/DC's version of Marvel's Norman (The Green Goblin) Osborn, post resurrection: constantly manipulating everyone while pretending to be respectable and/or no longer associated with an immoral past.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought "Don't grab women, sweetheart" to the security guard was a bit odd. Maybe something like "I have a name, sweetheart" but it didn't seem right to admonish him for doing his job. Knocked him out to boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.