Spoilers Supergirl - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, May 12, 2016.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

remember mummy and her fellow Daxamites have been searching for Mon-el for quite some time (years) so they've probably been exposed to a lot of yellow star radiation along the way.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That would not be the first time someone thought that. A fine example of a female character being introduced and with what hints of her life were in the screenplay, it all made for a well conceived character. No propaganda needed.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this show can be summed up simply as they are doing more telling than showing. They need to reverse that, show, don't tell.

TREK_GOD_1 and Mr. Adventure like this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, even precrisis it wasn't a so clear-cut rule. For example:
    [​IMG]

5. doylem1

doylem1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thing
    Regarding that when the Daxamite ship 1st arrived and approached Earth we got a comment from the Mum & Dad about how powerful they suddenly felt. So whilst its possible they may have visited systems with yellow suns seems odd they'd make that statement it's as if they never came across it before.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

One reason Mon-El might not be able to outfight Rhea is because he's more inhibited. He doesn't want to hurt his mother -- but his mother murdered her own husband, so she wouldn't be afraid to hurt her son either. So he'd hold back in a fight, but she wouldn't.

7. Marc

Okay I'd forgotten about that bit.

8. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my fav lines from last week's ep was Kara telling Alex she'd "meet {her} out-side" the DEO during the Daxamite attack on that facility.

One of my fav scenes last week was Alex taking an "iconic trust exercise" from corporate retreats to a new heights after hearing Kara's line.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Supergirl remains a disappointment. Every part of this Daxamite storyline is atrocious. There is not one good thing about it. Its weird how Season 2 improved so much over season 1 (dropping Cat, max and Lucy, making James and Winn tolerable) but once it figured out how to use its main characters it then decided to just stop having good stories for the episodes. Its weird to like the main cast (the main cast being Alex, Kara, Jonn, Winn and James) but really disliking both the Cadmus and Daxamite storylines.

One "impressive" thing is that I think Terri Hatcher's charcter is actually worse then Max Lord, and I counted him as one of the worst villains on a Berlanti show. Also, more bullshit brainwashing. because if something doesn't work at all in Season 1, they might as well do it again. There is no legitimate way Superman could be brainwashed by a woman who has no ability to brainwash someone. This admittedly pissed me off more then it should because another show I watch (Sherlock) did a really bullshit brainwashing plot in its latest season, and I had watch that episode the day before watching the latest Supergirl episode, so seeing two completely nonsensical brainwashing things close together just pissed me off more (although at least the Sherlock episode was still a good story despite the nonsensical, basically magical brainwashing plot).

I'll watch the finale because I've grown to like the main cast, but Season 3 needs to start putting effort into the writing of the actual episodes (and stop doing alien focused stories, its just getting tedious at this point). I'd also like to see Lena get killed off because she's just terrible, but she by herself isn't a deal breaker for Season 3.

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman was not brainwashed by Teri Hatcher.
    I think she is using her Alliance with the Dominators for that trick.
    How the finale handles that situation you'll see today.
    For now it was just a cliffhanger.
    Treat it as such.

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Mon-El and Maggie are "main cast" too, and have both become highlights of Season 2 for me and many others.

BTW, there are spoilers floating around online due to the finale being screened in L.A. yesterday, and while I won't address them directly, I will say that one of the things they concern should be treated the same way as Superman's death in BvS was in regards to what we know about Justice League.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hold a knife to Lois' throat, or anyone really.

If Lex Luthor held a knife to his own throat, Superman would get on his knees and submit.

Although honestly, the transporter should be able to depower him, by bleeding off the solar radiation agitating his cells during transport from the ground to her ship.

OH!

If the Hypnosis is narrative based... Rhea might be posing as Lois in whatever fantasy that he is perceiving which makes him think beating on Kara is a good idea!

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't know they were officially main cast. I like Maggie a lot, although she had that terrible episode recently where Supergirl did the right thing and Maggie just whined that Supergirl did something safely that Maggie wanted the cops to do even though the cops were much more likely to get people killed doing it. Besides that one episode, Maggie has been pretty solid. With Mon-El, I don't know. he works better romantically with Kara then James did, but he's fairly one dimensional and I loathe everything with his parents. So, on balance I don't particularly like or dislike Mon-El.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Turns out that is a thing, line of dialogue implies Mon-El is slightly stronger because he has been on earth longer.

So what was that at the very end of the finale, it sounded like a baby, but the Kryptonians were referring to it as 'it'.

Doomsday perhaps?

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Supergirl
    "Nevertheless, She Persisted"--

SG/Kara: Wait--"everyone in my life is in a happy relationship?" Oh, wait, I forgot--James (not in a relationship) does not matter. In any case, anyone can guess who will be after Kara in the next season (in addition to Mon-El fiding his way back)...

Rhea: Had potential to be something more, but we knew it would not last.

Mama Luthor: Again, her warnings were proven true time after time.

Lena: Yeah, like anyone believed she would use Mama's (or her son's) device as intended (in Mama Luthor's full control)..

Clark: See the notes.

James: The Guardian should have been on the street, but as icing on the showrunner-made Kicked-to-the-Curb Cake, he remained in his office. Ridiculous.

Cat: Creepy that she starts putting on make up when seeing Clark. She's old enough to be his mother.
    She cares more about people than anyone else? Not supported over the course of two seasons.

Yet another misandrist speech at the end of it all.

So, she knows Kara is Supergirl & James is the Guardian. This will only pay off if she uses this information for something of significance, otherwise, its no different than Winn or Alex knowing.

Mon-El: "Be a hero" Its just that easy? After Mm-kay. His relationship with Kara was never believable. Forced every step of the way, but season three will pick up where that left off.

NOTES: Once again, Superman is out of commission--the same old crap from last season's would-be, season-ending "event" arc. It seems he's only here to be the opposite of just about any Superman ever committed to film. Largely ineffectual. There was no reason why he would have avoided double teaming Rhea once she agreed to the fight. If ending the Daxam 2.0 threat was his concern, he should have increased the odds (who would honor any code or rule with what was at stake?), but no, that was not going to happen...
    \Can anyone imagine the near-great Henry Cavill version of Superman (as presented) behaving like this?

As usual, unimpressive fight choreography in this series, the SG/SM SG/Rhea fights in particular.

The White Martian FX. Awful, and I thought the creature work in the Resident Evil movies was video-gamey...

The only decent thing about this episode was the bookend of Mon-El leaving similar to the way he arrived.

The Kal-El flashback...

GRADE: D- The Wonder Woman TV spots (short and heavily edited as they are) still stand as a glaring contrast to this episode/series--how a superhero property should be handled.

Takeaway: Message received--Even in the season recap, the James/Guardian arc was nowhere to be seen. Not a single clip. Second billing star/character reduced to nothing in this Teen Nick fantasy. The showrunners certainly gave that most vocal side of the SG fanbase (those who hated the James character for a number of ill reasons) exactly what they wanted.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  16. Marc

Well I guess we finally got an answer about what's been speculated in here for sometime.

and was Mon-el flying or just leaping tall buildings in a single bound?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Or the Eradicator, maybe.

Looked like leaping to me.

Not a bad finale, but it was predictable that the weapon would be used and force Mon-El to leave. And how the heck do you irradiate the atmosphere with lead? And how is that harmless to humans? It's pretty much anything but. I also wish Rhea hadn't died, because that means Supergirl essentially killed her. I prefer that line not to be crossed.

Pretty good use of Superman, both in action and character-wise. We finally got some answers about what he's been doing all these years besides taking on Lex -- he has a history with Zod as his worst enemy, and he's been to War World, where he presumably fought Mongul.

Interesting that Cat is still around at the end -- I hope that means we'll see more of her next year. And of course, all those bizarre expectations that Lena would turn out be evil have gone unrealized.

As usual, James/Guardian kind of fell by the wayside. We still don't have resolution to the thread the other week about him realizing people fear Guardian.

The Wonder Woman promo was amusing -- nice touch getting Lynda Carter in there.

18. Marc

Not sure that Supergirl had expected her die (and she seemed to the only Daxamite who succumbed to the lead). Its possible that she was weaked by the fight hence the lead being very lethal very quickly. Will concede that no other Daxamite died because they bugged out very quickly).

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

This was a good one.

20. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I, on the other hand do NOT doubt that the both of you need to back off and just avoid each other. Continuing in this vein by either of you
    @Jax or @TREK_GOD_1
    will earn you a warning