Suggestions for a good non English show

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by gazomg, Apr 21, 2021.

1. gazomg

gazomg Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

my post meant to say 4 episodes in to season 2.
    Recognize a lot of the actors from other danish and nordic shows like borgen.

Believe they have already filmed most of season 3

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

That's "Raumpatrouille - Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion", internationally known as "Space Patrol Orion". This series is ... very much a product of its time, which is the mid-1960s. Quite campy.

There is a more recent German space scifi show, with intentional comedy this time around, loosely based on Stanislaw Lem's "The Star Diaries". It was produced on a very, very low budget (even by German TV standarts), which the producers actually embraced by creating aliens and props from items aquired on flea markets, and having the interior of the space ship resemble a generic Berlin 'Altbauwohnung' (flat in older houses). The result was the brilliant "Ijon Tichy: Space Pilot":

publiusr likes this.
  3. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Lovely...

4. gazomg

finished season 2 of trapped, another great season.

Starting on the most recent season of the brit show line of duty season 6.....love this show

5. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple of good K-dramas (from Korea) -- Start-Up and Itaewon Class

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recently watched the German post-apocalyptic action show Tribes of Europa, that I really enjoyed. Just to clarify, the title is referring the Europe, not the moon.

And about 25%-50% of the dialogue in this is English.
    There were a couple other non-English language shows I watched and enjoyed recently, but they're both horror/fantasy so I don't know if there's any point recommending them.

gazomg likes this.
  7. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't it funny that a large amount of foreign shows use the term "OK"? I'll be watching a Flemish show and suddenly someone says "ok!" and it startles me out of the action for a second. That has crept into several different languages, I guess.

8. Astra

Astra Captain Captain

I recently really enjoyed "Beforeigners" from Norway. There is some crime in there too.
    First season has only 6 episodes but they are already working on season 2.

gazomg likes this.
  9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was a great first season. Only wish it had been longer, but it's showing promise with its world-building. It feels like a post-apocalyptic GoT in a way.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it kinda does.

11. Skipper

Skipper Commodore Commodore

I remember that. They aren't talking about a... reboot? Sequel?

I can suggest these Italian tv shows:
    My Brilliant Friend

The Young Pope

Romanzo Criminale - la serie

Baby

Suburra

gazomg likes this.
  12. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

On and off. I remember there was talk during the early 00s about Roland Emmerich making a movie remake, but that never materialized. The Orion reboot is a similarly neverending story as the Perry Rhodan movie adaptation.

I'm afraid Germany hasn't been the most friendly nation to film and TV creators wanting to tackle space opera.
    The aforementioned Ijion Tichy TV series had no budget to speak of, was aired Monday nights after midnight, got fantastic ratings considering the timeslot, received a German Television Award, and the producers in their acceptance speech all but begged for an order for a second season.
    It took more than four years for the second season to materialize, and even that could be said to be because the female lead Nora Tschirner had become one of the biggest German movie stars in the meantime.

Shaka Zulu and Skipper like this.
  13. gazomg

next up is skippers choice of "Suburra"

Skipper likes this.
  14. Skipper

Well, we are here if you want to do comments & reviews :)

15. gazomg

quick question, do i need to watch the movie first before the tv series ?

Skipper likes this.
  16. Skipper

No, there are the same characters with some similarities, but let's say it is set in a "parallel universe" I can't say more because SPOILERS :^)

gazomg likes this.
  17. Skipper

(by the way, if you have any question about the TV show I'm your man B-) )

gazomg likes this.
  18. gazomg

The sets are very like the sets from gomorrah, where the chav scum seems to revel in the tacky gold wannabe decor.
    you need sunglasses for the interiors of some of the homes. What is it with common criminals and shiny shit ? It screams of common and is totally vulgar.
    The gypsies are portrayed like genuine gypsies warts and all and none of the watered down political correctness.

The main characters have little or no redeeming qualities, after it all seems like a vicious circle in the show, and makes for a great watch.
    I right away had to turn of the english overdub, the accents were just awful and did not suit the show so put on the original audio and lashed on the subtitles which gives a more realistic feel to the show.

I am not a fan of how the show starts with a clip and then resorts to the "the previous day", as its hardly that much of a leap of faith to work out the permutations of how we will get to that point.

I am 4 episodes in, and enjoying it.

Skipper likes this.
  19. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

There's a show on Netflix that's a modern retelling of Arsène Lupin (Lupin) people can enjoy.

gazomg likes this.
  20. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

This is going back a ways, so you've probably already seen it... I enjoyed the Van Veeteren mysteries, though I think technically it's a series of TV movies rather than a "TV series." It's based on a series of "Nordic Noir" novels. It's in Swedish, though the setting is a fictitious city in a fictitious country that is kind of an amalgam of various Northern European countries.

Kor