Stuff that make you wonder but not own thread worthy

How about, “The Neutral Zone”?
“Sonny” was great!!!

https://images.app.goo.gl/UJhNaVonxGu4X7gf8
I would have liked to see more of Sonny. Great character.

But according to the recent news, he has got his career in order by teaming up with a friend from Enterprise to form an amazing country duo.
They often perform at Quark's at the station Deep Space Nine where they are a great success!

Last edited:
My wife and I are at the end of an ENT rewatch, and something occured to me while watching "IN A MIRROR, DARKLY, PART II".

Slar, the Gorn slavemaster, was working with the Tholians. It isn't said if he was simply a slave himself who is a higher rank and has power of other slaves or actually a hired gun working with the Tholians, but it made me wonder... could the Gorn and Tholians have ever worked together in the Prime Universe?

My wife and I are at the end of an ENT rewatch, and something occured to me while watching "IN A MIRROR, DARKLY, PART II".

Slar, the Gorn slavemaster, was working with the Tholians. It isn't said if he was simply a slave himself who is a higher rank and has power of other slaves or actually a hired gun working with the Tholians, but it made me wonder... could the Gorn and Tholians have ever worked together in the Prime Universe?
Well I don't know for real, but in the 90s, in the fifth season of DS9 I was imagining a future war between the Gorn and Tholians against the Breen and Tzenkethi that was stirred up by the "Conspiracy" bugs, along with a Federation Civil War and maybe the Klingons taking down the Romulans.

Well I don't know for real, but in the 90s, in the fifth season of DS9 I was imagining a future war between the Gorn and Tholians against the Breen and Tzenkethi that was stirred up by the "Conspiracy" bugs, along with a Federation Civil War and maybe the Klingons taking down the Romulans.

That would have been actually awesome

Were the civilian portion of the crew "self-governing" or were they subject to the captain's orders? I've never seen accurate estimates of how many there were, but we're talking about at least a few hundred people, which is a small town. So how did this work?

It might have been more interesting if Deanna, in addition to being a counselor, had been the ship's civilian liaison, either as a civilian herself, or simply advocating for their needs.

It might have been more interesting if Deanna, in addition to being a counselor, had been the ship's civilian liaison, either as a civilian herself, or simply advocating for their needs.

That would have had the bonus benefit of actually fully justifying her spot on the bridge. A shrink doesn't belong in the center with the captain and XO. Data, as Second Officer, had a better reason to be in that spot.

That would have had the bonus benefit of actually fully justifying her spot on the bridge. A shrink doesn't belong in the center with the captain and XO. Data, as Second Officer, had a better reason to be in that spot.
I sort of go the other way... IMO, every Starfleet ship should have a Betazoid on the bridge to counsel the captain. Their ability to sense whether a person is lying or hiding something would be of considerable value.

Ye Olde Litverse had them both join a multi-state pact. IIRC the Gorn were a bit wobbly because their alliance partners looked down on them, so the Federation spent time and effort trying to peel them away.

I sort of go the other way... IMO, every Starfleet ship should have a Betazoid on the bridge to counsel the captain. Their ability to sense whether a person is lying or hiding something would be of considerable value.

I think Troi makes more sense on the bridge if you think of her as more than the ship's psychologist. If she's there to advise the Captain and provide a sort of big picture perspective on whatever mission the ship is currently on and whatever forces the ship is interacting with, I think she makes lots of sense.

Someone once compared the idea of a "ship's counselor" to the "political officer" on Soviet ships back in the day. While I don't agree they are quite the same, the analogy kind of works for me. "Ship's counselor" gets a little Orwellian if you think about it too hard. :rommie:

I think both those ideas could have worked. I wondered about Deanna as a civilian before or maybe a non-com or give her a lower rank. The thing with the civilians on the E-D, I wonder how many there were and whether there was a structure separate for them or they all performed duties under the purview of Starfleet. Or are they like their own little union. I think it just needs more elaboration but it could work really well. But that idea is kind of what I wish Neelix had been on Voyager. The ship going along and picking up stragglers and building a little community of random Delta Quadrant inhabitants would need someone to represent themselves to Janeway and get involved with them performing duties on Voyager herself.

Last edited:
I would have liked to see more of Sonny. Great character.

But according to the recent news, he has got his career in order by teaming up with a friend from Enterprise to form an amazing country duo.
They often perform at Quark's at the station Deep Space Nine where they are a great success!

We at least deserved one little performance in 10F. How are you gonna present a musician character with no other point, & then NOT have him play for us?
I think Troi makes more sense on the bridge if you think of her as more than the ship's psychologist. If she's there to advise the Captain and provide a sort of big picture perspective on whatever mission the ship is currently on and whatever forces the ship is interacting with, I think she makes lots of sense.

Someone once compared the idea of a "ship's counselor" to the "political officer" on Soviet ships back in the day. While I don't agree they are quite the same, the analogy kind of works for me. "Ship's counselor" gets a little Orwellian if you think about it too hard. :rommie:
I certainly don't see her as just a therapist/sci-fi gifted psychiatric science officer. She's certainly also a diplomacy/cultural liaison officer too.

She gets sent on away missions to deal with things like the Mintakins & in Masterpiece Society etc... quite a lot. It's a rather broad ranging function she provides

Things we've seen her tasked with include:
• Assisting command officers in crew evaluations
• Bridge crew's social interaction consultant & advisor
• Briefing & participating in diplomatic & ambassadorial interactions (which is kind of all the senior staff's job too)
•Routinely providing shipwide & mission related mental healthcare, like she's part of the ship healthcare team.

I'm even probably forgetting some stuff. What I really wonder is whether she's in some ways subordinate to Crusher, as the CMO. Troi is unquestionably medical personnel. I think we really deserved an episode that had the two of them at odds about a healthcare issue wherein their perspective fields overlap.

The ship going along and picking up stragglers and building a little community of random Delta Quadrant inhabitants would need someone to represent themselves to Janeway and get involved with them performing duties on Voyager herself.
One of many ways Voyager could have been a distinctive show with its own identity. As opposed to a watered down TNG clone.

The thing with the civilians on the E-D, I wonder how many there were and whether there was a structure separate for them or they all performed duties under the purview of Starfleet. Or are they like their own little union. I think it just needs more elaboration but it could work really well.

I would imagine they operate similar to how civilians working with the military works today. From my meager understanding of the military, civilians employed by the military are exactly that... they work FOR the military, but aren't part of it or entirely bound by military rules...

I would imagine they operate similar to how civilians working with the military works today. From my meager understanding of the military, civilians employed by the military are exactly that... they work FOR the military, but aren't part of it or entirely bound by military rules...
This is correct. They are usually contractors, and treated as federal employees, but are not bound by the UCMJ.

Back