Stuff in movies you realized in retrospect was horrible

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Santa Quark, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And he's still an ***hole except when he's speaking directly to George and his family, and George just laughs it off. The guy is basically a sociopath who hasn't changed one bit. Does George really not see the kind of person he's dealing with, or is he just banking on Biff's fear of him (over something that happened 30 years ago) to protect him? It's poor judgement. Even if Biff's actions in the past weren't enough to say, "get off my property and never come back", his present actions are.

Come to think of it, the implication there is that George likes yanking Biff's chain enough that I've gotta wonder what kind of person George really is.

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

IIRC, He was UNDER a glass-topped coffee table, not inside a box. He panicked comedically, thinking he was sealed in.

3. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The whole movie, especially the bookends, was pretty cynical, it could have ended with the executive either getting a comeuppance or facing no punishment and either ending would have felt consistent with the rest.

4. Santa Quark

Santa Quark Admiral Admiral

A lot of the movies from the 80s have scenes that seemed raunchy at the time and seem rapey now.

There's a lot of shows where characters who did unforgiveable things early in the series get rehabilitated and forgiven later. I just watched the episode of Stargate where Col Maybourne tries to intentionally let Teal'c be transformed into a giant insect incubator to use the insects as a weapon. Later in the show, when he's wanted as a traitor and on the run, he has a fun repartee with O'Neall, and later gets rewarded by being allowed to remain as the leader of a village.

Then there's Ben Linus in Lost who gets to go to the afterlife when characters who did far less for far more understandable reasons have to wander the island forever.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  5. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

Well, Ben was Hurley's second. We never get to see what that relationship was like. Ben may have done much to redeem himself. And as we know that the ghosts on the island can manifest to the living, Ben may have been helping them move on, which would go a long way toward that redemption.

6. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I just wanted to see Vincent in the Chapel, to know he was going to 'Heaven'.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I don't care how stuck up & unpleasant she was. Causing the shower to collapse so everyone could gawk at her was crossing the line.

True. Still, I've always been surprised that a big studio film like that could get so far as to start principal photography and then get canceled. We've seen lots of movies get canceled mere weeks before they were supposed to start shooting. (Both the Tim Burton & McG versions of Superman come to mind.) We've seen lots of movies get completed but then languish on the shelf for years before finally getting released. But it seems exceedingly rare for them to start shooting but never finish.

8. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Courage Under Fire - I was a tanker in Desert Storm and the beginning tank scene was so wrong it was funny! Horrible tactics.

9. ThankQ

ThankQ Admiral Admiral

But it is funny when they rag on Winchester because he can play at (or above) their level.

Refuge likes this.
  10. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Commander Red Shirt

Air combat scenes in movies tend to fall apart if you know a little about basic aviation, too.

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not knowing that much about aviation, it'd go right by me (other than the silliness of "press the button and the enemy aircraft explodes" in "Iron Eagle"). What sorts of things stand out to you?

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Revenge of the Creature" (1955) has not aged well with respect to the way even the "likable" human characters treat the Creature, who is captured in the Amazon, dragged back to America, put on display in a "Sea World" type water park, and subjected to electronic cattle prods . . . all in the interests of "science". . . before he invariably breaks free and runs amok.

And, unlike the more recent "The Shape of Water," the folks tormenting the Creature are not portrayed as sadistic bad guys; even the hero and heroine seem okay with treating the Creature as a wild animal to be tamed. There may be a degree of pathos in the Creature's portrayal, but, in general, the movie takes it for granted that this is proper way to handle Gill-Men from the Black Lagoon.

The good guys don't look so good today.

13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Revenge of the Creature", hmm, that's the one that Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed when the series moved from Comedy Central to debut upon the Sci Fi Channel, Right?

14. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember, when the cops in 2015 dropped Jennifer off at the McFly residence, they were already talking about how Hilldale was a breeding ground for "tranks, lobos, and zipheads." Also her partner mentioned they ought to tear the whole place down. So, when Biff changes the future after stealing the DeLorean, Doc and Marty wouldn't know any different that the timeline changed around them because they'd already left the McFly residence, and the place was a shithole to begin with :)

15. Santa Quark

Santa Quark Admiral Admiral

That’s true, but other people who didn’t get to move on would have done the same thing if the island hadn’t killed them before they had the chance. Michael only killed one person, Ben killed or enslaved hundreds.

I guess this is one of the biggest spiritual conflicts a lot of Christians have. Two people commit murder. One of them is then hit by a car, goes to hell. The other survives 50 more years, becomes a good man and honestly repents, goes to heaven. But the first man was killed by God’s plan and if he had 50 more years would have done the same. So God picked a chose the eternal fate of their souls.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Don't know. Dare I admit I've never seen Mystery Science Theater? I confess: the idea of people talking through old movies sounds annoying.Yes, yes, I gather they're very clever and that the movies are mostly bad. Just never felt inclined to check it out. If I want to watch "Revenge of the Creature," I want to watch "Revenge of the Creature"--without some peanut gallery kibitizing through the whole flick.

Harrumph. :)

Forbin likes this.
  17. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:eek: :wtf: :eek: :wtf: :eek: :wtf:

Where's that GIF of Donald Sutherland at the end of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" when I need it?!

Don't worry, I won't try to "convert" you. I understand your reasoning. If that was the ONLY way to see a given film, true, it would be frustrating. But thankfully we (usually) have access to the original, unheckled, film, so one can experience it both ways.

USS Triumphant likes this.
  18. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

The conflict is more esoteric than that. We each have free will. The first killer isn't killed by God, but by the choice to do whatever it is that gets them hit by a car. As they hadn't repented by then, yes, they go to Hell. This, and the fact that the second lives much longer and eventually repents, is in line with much of the debate over the death penalty, and whether it's fair to those who have been under its onus for many years, as their appeals and other legal workings progress. Do they repent, and if they do, is it still fair to execute them for their misdeeds? The question becomes 'if a man may repent given time, is it fair to deny him the time to do so, and if given the time, is it fair to punish them so utterly, if they repent?' The going theory has long been supposed to be 'it is better to let ten guilty men go free than to imprison one innocent man.' The last forty years has seen that get turned on its head, at least in the US.

19. Kai "the spy" (Holiday Special)

Kai "the spy" (Holiday Special) Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you ever spent a night with a couple of pals watching bad movies and trying to make each other laugh about it? That's basically what MST3K is going for.

galleywest and USS Triumphant like this.
  20. Finngle Bells

Finngle Bells Admiral Admiral

Except the house looked nice...