News Strange New Worlds casting/new characters

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 28, 2020.

1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A lot of these issues I have with these productions could simply be resolved by just establishing it has zero connection with TOS, and these pile of dog sh*t is a re-imagination which is separate from what I love. JJ Abrams did that so well and I still love most of his universe, Beyond was the exception.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then don't love it. It is always allowed to have artistic and creative license inside a property. This isn't an insult to past loves-this is art.

TOS is a touchstone and they are working within it and showing their love in a different way. Just because it isn't the way we would do it as fans doesn't make it less valid.

3. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One could always excuse Mendez's line because he was a figment of the Talosian's mind control over Kirk. But anyway, that's beside the point.

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not at that point.

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yep.

Some STD fans have this strawman critic they like to pretend represents the Trek audience who find the Burnham show lacking - like the problem is with infidelity to details of continuity.

That's not why most people don't bother with the show. If a show can tell good stories with some competence, in an entertaining way, very few people will fret the details.

STD has rarely managed that for as much as a week. People dislike and make fun of it because it's lame, dumb TV.

CorporalClegg likes this.
  6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

A lot of SNW Fans are also going to be DSC Fans, most likely the majority. It's not a good idea to keep antagonizing us. Especially if you want some of us on your side when the Bashers and Haters of it start coming at SNW, like they've done with DSC and PIC. You probably don't want some of us on your side, but I'm just putting that out there.

A little fence-mending will go a long way.

You thought ENT was good. It didn't stop the people who hated that show from tearing it apart. Likewise, the Kelvin Films.

7. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I’ve got no problem with valid criticism. And if one finds the quality of the show lacking, that’s fairly valid. We all have our franchises or entries in said franchises we aren’t that into. At the same time (and I know it’s not all here), but if you find it that lacking, why do you comment? Even more so, why do you watch? I honestly don’t understand that.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't speak for anyone else, but in the past year I've made three posts in the Disco forum. And one was a reply to a reply to a post I made in 2019. As far as watching, I put the episodes on because I'm paying for the service. However, of the seven episodes this season, I've watched exactly one in its entirety. The others I either didn't finish or skipped over huge boring chunks or had on as background noise as I was doing something else. So I barely watch and really only comment when it comes up in other discussion, like here.

:rofl:

9. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m speaking more of the people who go out of their way to hate watch and then put people down for watching something. I can’t say that I’ve necessarily noticed anything that falls into that category from you. Others? Yes.

10. fireproof78

Same. I find DSC more in line with past Trek stories than most but I would not expect everyone to agree. More than that, if a show brings no enjoyment I would expect people to stop watching. This is just logical to me.

11. Lord Garth

The thing that I think is really lame is not accepting that people have different tastes.

12. fireproof78

Or that Star Trek can have more than one type of storytelling.

13. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Discovery has made good strides towards quality in seasons 3 and 4. The early behind the scenes drama handicapped it dreadfully. I'm hoping SNW will be able to start at the level Discovery is now. One of Discovery's biggest issues was not sticking the landing on the season arc, and that's something SNW doesn't have to worry about.

Let's just say I have faith of the heart.

14. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my case: because despite my issues there's still good stuff in there (like several characters and most of the actors), because the shows I've had issues with (Discovery and Picard) would have to get much worse before I could bring myself to stop watching Star Trek, because I want to be up to date for discussions on this board and references both in universe (on Short Treks, Lower Decks, Prodigy, the upcoming Strange New Worlds, books, comics, etc.) and in pop culture, because if I stopped watching any show I had any issue/s with eventually I'd stop watching everything (Hell, I would've stopped watching Trek long ago after Homeward or Author, Author or Dear Doctor or...), because I find Discovery's getting better every season, because the first few episodes of Picard - before the bloody pandemic got in the way - was a show my friends and I watched together, because I still love the Star Trek universe too much to leave...

Commander Troi and Campe like this.
  15. fireproof78

I'll never understand this idea that not watching the latest iteration means leaving a franchise.

16. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't watched most of DS9, VOY, ENT, DSC, LDS, and none of Prodigy. Loved ST09 and STiD, not so hot on STB. I still feel I'm a hardcore, first generation Trek fan though, who is very much looking forward to PIC S2 and SNW.

Commander Troi and Serveaux like this.
  17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I don't watch the bad shit. Don't care if it's called "Star Trek."

saddestmoon, Daddy Todd and Nerys Myk like this.
  18. Lord Garth

I'm actually being serious. I want to put an end to this. I'm not saying we should become besties or anything like that, just that I don't want us to be at each other all the time anymore. No, I'm not blameless, and I apologize for that, but I want to start moving passed it.

You don't like DSC, I do, but we can agree to disagree. I want us to just to be able to shake hands on it, and maybe we can both like SNW. We can't do anything about before, but maybe we can do something about moving forward.

Isn't Star Trek about overcoming differences?

@The Old Mixer said I hadn't set a good example six months ago. I want to change that. I want to do right what I did wrong before. Let's at least make an effort to meet each other half-way. That also goes for anyone else I've disagreed with over the past four years. This hasn't been working, so let's try something else. I mean let's try it for real.

I've had an epiphany -- it's a long story -- and I want to do something different. If other people don't want to do something different, I'll just kill them with kindness.

If you want Star Trek rebooted, why don't we try rebooting things here as well?

We're here, we're going to be here, we might as well make the best of it.

EDITED TO ADD: And yes, it's not lost on me that the above post illustrates why I would like Burhnam so much. :p

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I happen to like DSC. I simply don't find it a realistic prequel to TOS.

I didn't care for PIC at all. I found it to be more of the Stewart And Spiner Show like all four of the TNG films were, I don't particularly like how they've developed the character of Picard, and I thought the plot of the Romulans destroying their own rescue fleet because some androids were helping to build it to be completely nonsensical.

I like LDS. I can't stand the Mary Sue nature of Beckett Mariner, and I find her annoying as hell. But I love the other characters and, like The Orville, the juvenile humor got more bearable over time. The TNG-ish feel of the show is great.

I like Prodigy. It's an original non-Trek premise but with just the right amount of Trek and mystery to keep me interested. And for a kid's show, it's pretty deep.

I am looking forward to SNW, if only because of the episodic nature of the show and the apparently closer link to TOS than DSC had. I still think having a Noonian-Singh as a character is stupid, but I'll reserve my judgment until I see the show.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    saddestmoon, Commander Troi and Campe like this.
  20. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What would leaving a franchise even entail? Deciding to not consider yourself a fan anymore?