STO Guidance for New Player

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Balok's Decoy, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, with an additional fleet ship module you can upgrade it to peak efficiency.
    But do that once you have unlocked the ship trait. You have to fly it a while for that.
    Once you unlock the trait you can use it with any ship.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you want to max out a ship trait quickly, I recommend you do the Japori patrol in the New Romulus area, the Argala patrol in the Delta quadrtant and the Na'kuhl red alert. Plenty of ships to kill so the starship trait will level up quickly.

3. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Be aware there are two different versions of the Odyssey Science Cruisers. There's the T5 Odyssey Science Cruiser and the Yorktown class T6 Science Star Cruiser. Both ships look almost identical.

Yes, it's a Cruiser which means it gets more hull points and 2 more weapon slots than a Science Vessel. Yet the ship gets Sensor Analysis, probably the only non Science Vessel that gets the ability. So far, I have heard nothing but praise for this ship. So unless Cryptic comes up with a T6 Vesta, It's the next ship I intend to get for one of my character.

4. Timelord Victorious

But it doesn't have a commander science station.
    It gets a lt commander, I believe, and you can use the universal station to further beef up it's science abilities, but they will never be quite es potent as an Intrepid ones.
    It is also a lot slower, so many abilities which require you to point your nose at a target are more difficult to use.
    In return it gains a lot if survivability of course and survives where a science vessel blows up by a sneaze if you lose shields somehow.
    And number of weapons and power boosts will give the Odyssey much better raw DPS.

5. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

As much as I worry about my next Intrepid class (Pathfinder, more than likely) not standing up on its own in difficult DPS situations, maneuverability and speed are big factors for me personally. I like my ship to be agile and quick. One of the things I don't like about most non-science vessels is how sluggish they are. I'm definitely more inclined to science ships.

6. Balok's Decoy

Hello again, I'm back with a newbie question (even though I'm not quite a newbie in STO anymore.)

I'm currently on the New Romulus level "The Power Source." I need an Environmental Suit to progress to the caves. I did receive an environmental suit in a previous level, but (stupidly) I sold it.

Just wondering where I can get new environmental suits for my away team. I've tried several of the Requisitions but none of them seem to sell it. I read online you can buy them from Lt. Arut at Earth Starbase, but I can't interact with her. Any advice? (Also, I'd rather not spend Zen on this, but I will if I absolutely have to.)

Thanks again!

7. Timelord Victorious

You can grind them by repeatedly starting the final episode of the DS9 occupation arc.
    Also, but not sure about this, you can get cheap or free ones on the Ferengi dilithium mine asteroid.
    Also you can get them on that Tholian ground map and from Tholian Reputation.
    You can also get them cheap on the exchange. Those are most likely slightly better than the ones you get for free.
    If you are a long time veteran gold player or lifer you can claim the First Contact EV suits or KDF/Romulan equivalent.
    There might be more sources, those were off the top of my head.

8. Balok's Decoy

Thanks again for the tip. I did realize yesterday that you can just buy one in the dilithium store. Oops.

Quick follow up question. I play STO on Xbox One. Is it possible to join the TrekBBS Armada fleet on console, or are the PC and console fleets totally separate?

9. Timelord Victorious

As far as I know, they run on seperate servers.

10. intrinsical

Unfortunately, console players will not be able to join PC fleets.

11. Balok's Decoy

Is there a TrekBBS fleet on consoles by any chance?

12. intrinsical

Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen anyone post about forming a console fleet in here...

13. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

On the Romulan Warbird issue - whilst you can shoot down the torpedoes, it's far easier to equip a Bridge Officer power that fires a short-range AoE attack - Tractor Beam Repulsors is my usual choice as it can also push the Warbird back out of tractor range as well.

14. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Quick question - are there any fleet consoles that boost more than one damage type, say +AP and Kinetic (or give a damage boost as well as another benefit)?

Like a Tac console version of the Fleet Neutronium Hull consoles that also give +Turn.

15. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I hoped to, but ultimately don't play it as much as the pic version.