STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

I understand your point, but the film is simply performing virtually identically to Trek 2009. This may just be the "model" for these Trek films with solid, but unremarkable openings, but steady legs.

The thing that will ultimately determine legs here is if Darkness can start recouping some of those numbers of female and younger viewers which didn't show up this week. if it can, then I can easily see this film holding on well into June.

Yancy

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully that's the case.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm curious to know if there are any 3D specific numbers.

I saw a later 3D show Saturday night. A strange thing happened, though: my theatre was only about half-full. However, across the hall there was a standard showing that had a start-time ten minutes later. It was packed. And judging by the line, I think the theatre might have overbooked.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

16% of the opening weekend revenue was from IMAX and 45% was from 3D and IMAX.

5. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still think Star Trek had novelty on it's side, and people were curious about nuTrek, and so it therefore over-performed at the domestic box office. To have Into Darkness doing nearly as well, if not better is a big achievement now that the novelty has worn off, and four years have passed.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Yep, yup, same goes for what you think. You have a right to your opinion, but IM3 is definitely better than IM2 to me. Not better than IM1, but good and enjoyable. It never felt tired.

STID had me sitting there just waiting for it to end. Considering the fact that I actually actively waited for this film (and that's not something I do), imagine my profound disappointment. I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it, though, maybe even enough for the both of us.

To each their own. IM3 had its issues but they got the main things right enough for me to overlook them. STID, not so much.

And it deserved to. ST09 was better than those films, imo.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Suggesting that the reason one film grosses more than another is because it's "better" is so subjective a judgment as to be completely meaningless. I wouldn't say that ST 2009 is a "better" movie than Captain America, although I liked it better because I'm a Trek fan.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

9. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Okay, well, "imo" stands for "in my opinion." Next time I'll just use the words, I guess.

10. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Who is predicting such a steep dive for the trek movie? 38.6 is quite low. I would expect 43

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's for the three day, it will increase for the four day weekend.

12. The Transformed Man

That would be less than 50% down from the previous week, that would actually be an exceptional number. Considering it's a 4 day weekend, a $38.6 million gross for Fri-Sun is more than reasonable. Monday would probably bring in another $7 million or so. That would be a great weekend.

Yancy

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, anything below a 50% would be a good thing. Blockbusters tend to drop at least 60% in their second weekend. At this point STID needs low drops every weekend.

14. The Transformed Man

The 3 day drop needs to be in the 40% range since this is the Labor Day weekend for it to show it might have legs. The 4 day total should be closer to 30%

Yancy

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Memorial Day weekend. :)

16. The Transformed Man

D'oh:guffaw:

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've just purchased the Bluray set of F&F 1-5. Should find out what all the fuss is about...

18. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

back on 09 trek had a 38% drop on its second weekend. We have to yet assess if this movie is in fact far more front loaded than the previous one or not. because as of today, with a limited sample of days we have no honest clue. Does it have legs? :p

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The biggest new live action release from the weekend prior to Memorial Day weekend has tended to drop about 45% for the following 4-day weekend. Battleship, POTC: On Stranger Tides, and Prince Caspian all had 4-day second weekend drops in that range. That's calculated from the previous 3-day weekend. Angels & Demons dropped just under 41% for the 4-day holiday weekend. STiD will hopefully see a drop of no more than 40% for the long weekend, which would give it a weekend take of around $42 million.

Star Trek dropped 42.8% in its second weekend.

20. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

True, my bad!

Lets hope then, it does achieve those numbers.