STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

2. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Rose-colored glasses...

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Apparently it's still showing in the Melbourne CBD. At one theatre (the Palace Nova in Collins Street). I may go this weekend.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well SW might be a vastly more popular product but as for a vastly superior product well that's a matter for debate.

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

In a business sense, it is the superior product, in that it makes a great deal more money.

In an artistic sense, in my opinion, Trek is the more meritorious product. Although Star Trek can't claim innocence from being compromised for the mainstream, at certain points during its near-50 year history.

Trek would appear to have a glass ceiling. No matter what they change, try to tell people this isn't their father's Trek; it doesn't seem like it can get over 500 mil. Maybe next time, it will happen.

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Sorry about your mum. I hope she is feeling better now.

it is quite clear that STiD underperformed at the USA box office. I do think the fan service and excessive homages turned a lot of people off.

If trek wants to be very successful again they need to go back to the formula they used in ST09.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'm not sure there is actually a way to objectively determine that, but even so I don't think I would agree that one is really superior to the other that way. Plus, for the longest time, Trek had 8 movies and 3-4 series under its belt, while Wars had 3 movies and a few idiotic spin-offs.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Well, it could be said that Lucas understood the power of leaving your audience wanting more.

9. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The definition of "underperforming" today is absolutely ridiculous. As Bryan Singer said following the "disappointing" receipts for Superman Returns, "That movie made $400 million! I don’t know what constitutes under-performing these days..."

For the record, though, STID, which hasn't completed it's run yet, stands at $221.2 million domestic and $438.8 million total. That's pretty damn impressive. ST09, following its completed run, had $257.7 million domestic and $385.6 million total. IOW, the current movie has already beaten the overall worldwide total of ST09 by more than $50 million. And given the fact that there was such a long period without any Trek before ST09 and the anticipation was so high, I think the difference in the domestic totals for a sequel is quite reasonable, and the domestic box office still very successful.

10. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

However once you take away the 3d prices of STiD and adjust trek 09 by inflation. STiD is far behind ST09. The reality is that STiD might not even have broken the 200 million dollar barrier in USA if not for 3D. ST09 didn't even need 3D.

I am not saying STiD was a flop, however it was not what paramount expected. paramount wanted STiD to surpass ST09 and it didn't. obviously there is a slight disappointment in that.

Worldwide there has been a huge improvement, however Trek still has a long way to go when it comes to been a box office juggernaut. I have no doubt that the fan service in STiD hurt trek.

its like the writers totally forgot about the new fans that resulted from the 2009 film. the writers only seems to care about old trekkies. The same old trekkies that have now called STiD inferior to WOK.:eek:

11. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

One thing to remember - STiD isn't done yet.

Another - It's gained huge numbers overseas vs. any other Trek film.

Next - It's the highest grossing Trek film. Ever.

And Again - ST ain't SW. Never going to be.

All that said - Sorry to disappoint some here, and I know they've all hoped and wished and dreamed and gnashed teeth and commiserated over it, but STiD is a win.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

But....but.....domestic box office....inflation adjustments.....Paramount....or something.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I also challenge the idea that Star Trek is more "artistic" than Star Wars. The content is always open for debate, and the prequels are, of course, always fair game. However, it's hard for one to argue that Star Wars (and probably ESB) isn't one of the most artistically influential films of all time without looking like a bumpkin.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I'm a big-time Star Trek fan. But The Empire Strikes Back is just a fucking awesome movie. :techman:

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In English, this reads as "I like Trek more."

16. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I loved loved loved Empire Sticks Back, however I kind of feel it is overrated a little bit. Especially with the whole I am your father thing.

That scene just proved that most male fans and even film critics never read a decent thriller or watched a good soap opera. if they did , it would not have come as a HUGE shock to them when Vader revealed himself to be Luke's dad.

Most series always have that kind of typical plot twist. I guess I am one of the few that wasn't shocked when Vader told Luke he was his daddy.

I was like....oh yeah..,cool but not surprised.

Perhaps, all my years of watching Mexican soap operas paid off.:lol:

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It's not the "twist" itself, but its conceit that makes it one of the great moments in film.

18. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Stopped reading there.

19. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Weird how there are no numbers for STID for W-Th...

20. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Its my opinion.:wtf:

Also I never said empire strikes back was overall an overrated film all I said was the that Vader's reveal of his true self was kind of overrated.

Geez....I honestly don't like it when people like myself get a lot slack just because we don't go with the majority's opinion of a film.

O and by the way, I think The Dark knight is overall an Overrated film as well.

sue me....:)