STC Ep. 7: "Embrace The Winds" speculation and discussion....

And as for calling the ST:C producers "lazy" - since I believe at least a couple of them are members of this board, I'm rather certain that's a violation of the TrekBBS terms of service.
I used the word lazy, but NOT in the context you are implying...Why don't you go back and read exactly what I said before you start stirring the pot?

You can't make a claim to be just like it's 1969 again and yet keep doing things to undermine your stated intent.
To be absolutely clear I never claimed Vic Mignogna is quoted saying the specifoc words, "it's still 1969." However, in interview after interview, particularly in the beginning as STC got going, Vic repeatedly talked of "picking up exactly where the original series left off." That speaks to intent to be as faithful as possible to the original series. He then repeatedly elaborates on recreating the original series in every detail possible--not only in terms of how things look but also in the kinds of stories they intend to do. He also makes a point of saying that references to post TOS productions would be kept to a minimum and kept generally vague simply because the original production crew would simply have had no idea what was forthcoming in the years and decades to come.

Of course, we can easily see that that isn't what unfolded over the STC's six episodes. The results have been hit-and-miss. Vic's enthusiasm is unmistakable, but perhaps he was given to a touch of hyperbole in promoting his production, because you can't say you want to pick up exactly where TOS left off and then proceed to include things that simply couldn't have been there if TOS had continued for another season or two.

I'm not criticizing Vic for his choice of words or his sentiment or his intent. I'm allowing that perhaps he didn't fully appreciate his words could convey an intent that didn't play out as some might have expected. As others have already said, including a holodeck and a ship's counselor from the get-go immediately signaled they weren't really picking up where TOS left off. Some of their references have been suitably vague while others not so much. And there is certainly nothing at all vague about their intended final closing scene of the TOS E in drydock.

And while STC has avoided the cliche pew-pew stories of phaser fights and ship battles and messing with the Klingons and such they have indulged in a favourite pastime of many fan productions and fanfic of revisiting past episodes with followups, something TOS was not given to do except twice: "The Menagerie" two-parter is something of a followup to the then unaired "The Cage" and "I, Mudd" is something of a followup to "Mudd's Women" in bringing back Harry Mudd. Out of seventy-nine episodes TOS did a followup twice and out of six episodes STC has done a followup three times. That's a very different batting average.

So this is a contradiction to doing the kinds of stories TOS did and picking up exactly where TOS left off and recreating the series as faithfully as possible.

This is the series Vic obviously wants to do even if his words conveyed a somewhat different intent that played out inconsistently.

To be absolutely clear I never claimed Vic Mignogna is quoted saying the specifoc words, "it's still 1969." However, in interview after interview, particularly in the beginning as STC got going, Vic repeatedly talked of "picking up exactly where the original series left off." That speaks to intent to be as faithful as possible to the original series. He then repeatedly elaborates on recreating the original series in every detail possible--not only in terms of how things look but also in the kinds of stories they intend to do. He also makes a point of saying that references to post TOS productions would be kept to a minimum and kept generally vague simply because the original production crew would simply have had no idea what was forthcoming in the years and decades to come.

Of course, we can easily see that that isn't what unfolded over the STC's six episodes. The results have been hit-and-miss. Vic's enthusiasm is unmistakable, but perhaps he was given to a touch of hyperbole in promoting his production, because you can't say you want to pick up exactly where TOS left off and then proceed to include things that simply couldn't have been there if TOS had continued for another season or two.

I'm not criticizing Vic for his choice of words or his sentiment or his intent. I'm allowing that perhaps he didn't fully appreciate his words could convey an intent that didn't play out as some might have expected. As others have already said, including a holodeck and a ship's counselor from the get-go immediately signaled they weren't really picking up where TOS left off. Some of their references have been suitably vague while others not so much. And there is certainly nothing at all vague about their intended final closing scene of the TOS E in drydock.

And while STC has avoided the cliche pew-pew stories of phaser fights and ship battles and messing with the Klingons and such they have indulged in a favourite pastime of many fan productions and fanfic of revisiting past episodes with followups, something TOS was not given to do except twice: "The Menagerie" two-parter is something of a followup to the then unaired "The Cage" and "I, Mudd" is something of a followup to "Mudd's Women" in bringing back Harry Mudd. Out of seventy-nine episodes TOS did a followup twice and out of six episodes STC has done a followup three times. That's a very different batting average.

So this is a contradiction to doing the kinds of stories TOS did and picking up exactly where TOS left off and recreating the series as faithfully as possible.

This is the series Vic obviously wants to do even if his words conveyed a somewhat different intent that played out inconsistently.

Exactly why I have always preferred NV/PII despite it's faults and stood by that - continued the 5 year mission but not been afraid to acknowledge the 1979-2005 Trek at all or pretending that it literally is 1969 when it is not. It looked like a contemporary production AND they kind of closed a gaping hole by bringing in elements from the aborted Phase II TV series (Xon, costume designs, Kitumba, The Child, ship mods etc), as well as finally making Blood and Fire albeit with Kirk not Picard.

Not it wasn't consistant, there were endless changes on both sides of the camera, but I loved it. It had it's own identity.

Here, at 1:10:00, Vic talks about not doing "lame fan service" stories: http://scifidinerpodcast.com/2013/1...metal-alchemist-dragon-ball-z/comment-page-1/

This is an Oct 9th, 2013 podcast interview where he makes his point regarding his intent to do deeper stories about moral and ethical quandries and topical subjects.

The point is made again here at 00:55:00: http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/the-one-with-almost-everyone/

He also talks about picking up exactly where TOS left off.

The Mission Log podcast is actually pretty cool in its entirety. And in his interview Vic's enthusiasm is clearly evident.

Last edited:
If this is the only problem you have with STC, maybe we could talk Vic into offering you a personal, formal apology for not strictly adhering to his self-imposed 1969 rule. :lol:

If this is the only problem you have with STC, maybe we could talk Vic into offering you a personal, formal apology for not strictly adhering to his self-imposed 1969 rule. :lol:
He needn't apologize for anything. As I have said before whatever my nitpicks about the show I still greatly enjoy it.

Hell, TOS is my absoute favourite series and I could nitpick that to death.

Well, let's say Gene (or Fred, or whoever was in charge of TOS in this hypothetical timeline) was told in the summer of '69 by NBC "You get thirteen more episodes and that's it. We'll give you slightly more of a budget per episode to compensate, but thirteen - No more." So the showrunner turns to the writers and says "OK, we've gotta wrap it all up in half a season. If there's anything you guys have been holding back on, anything you've wanted to see this show do - now or never."

So needless to say, TOS would have been a slightly different show coming out of the gate that fall...

^^ They still wouldn't have been making references to things that didn't yet exist. Also they knew third season was it during the third sesson so why didn't they wrap up some things then?

They knew third season was probably it. They were still making plans just in case, at least until it became obvious there was no hope.

And given the choice, I'd rather references to things that didn't yet exist than things that never could/should exist. Sure you could have no references at all, but where's the fun in that?

They knew third season was probably it. They were still making plans just in case, at least until it became obvious there was no hope.

And given the choice, I'd rather references to things that didn't yet exist than things that never could/should exist. Sure you could have no references at all, but where's the fun in that?
If you have good solid storytelling then it isn't a problem.

All of TOS was done without fan service. So if you really want to be faithful to TOS what do you need fan service for?

You don't need it at all.

Was it? Did they never do anything a second time due to fans responding well the first time?
TOS hardly ever referenced what came before. The return of Harry Mudd in "I, Mudd" was apparently David Gerrold's idea. The original story idea did not have Mudd in it.

There was thought of bringing John Colicos back as Kor in the second and third seasons, but Colicos' schedule didn't allow for it. And because of that we got Koloth and Kang and other Klingons that added to the tapestry of TOS rather than seeing the same villian over and over again. That said I think I would rather have seen Kor again than Koloth. But I wouldn't want to have lost Kang who was fantastic.

Roddenberry's thinking was the Enterprise was heading outward so it didn't make sense for them to be running into the same characters again.

And for whatever reason, Koloth got to be the action figure...
MKlingon.jpg

Thats so generic and it doesn't look remotely like William Campbell. And a red phaser instead of a Klingon disruptor.
I would argue that it does look remotely like William Campbell and it's clearly the fair-skinned variety of Klingon. And there was no way Mego was going to mold a special piece for a Klingon disruptor. True that they didn't name it Koloth, though.

I would argue that it does look remotely like William Campbell and it's clearly the fair-skinned variety of Klingon. And there was no way Mego was going to mold a special piece for a Klingon disruptor.
Meh. I never collected the Mego figures. Even at a younger age I didn't feel compelled to buy everything Trek under the sun.

TOS hardly ever referenced what came before. The return of Harry Mudd in "I, Mudd" was apparently David Gerrold's idea. The original story idea did not have Mudd in it.

There was thought of bringing John Colicos back as Kor in the second and third seasons, but Colicos' schedule didn't allow for it. And because of that we got Koloth and Kang and other Klingons that added to the tapestry of TOS rather than seeing the same villian over and over again. That said I think I would rather have seen Kor again than Koloth. But I wouldn't want to have lost Kang who was fantastic.

Roddenberry's thinking was the Enterprise was heading outward so it didn't make sense for them to be running into the same characters again.
Wasn't Koloth intended to be a counterpart to Kirk and show up in later episodes? I am not sure if this was mentioned in David Gerrold's making of book or not.
In the 'The Trouble with Tribbles' they seem to already know each other.

Back