News Stay At Home With ULTRAMAN| Ultra Science Fiction Hour on YouTube

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", May 1, 2020.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Here's episode #2 of "Ultraman Zero: The Chronicle":

Samurai8472 likes this.
  2. Kai "the spy"

"Ultraman 80", episode #23:

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

• I found the Ultraman section on Mill Creek Entertainment's website, and they've released
    • R/B
    • Neo Ultra Q
    • Ginga/Ginga S
    • Ace
    • X
    • Return of Ultraman
    • Orb
    • Ultraseven
    • The original Ultraman
    • The original Ultra Q

4. Kai "the spy"

Hm. Have you tried if you can watch the recent Max, Zero and/or 80 episodes? If they were not released by Mill Creek yet, might be worth a try.

5. Kai "the spy"

After last week's clip show special, here is this week's "Ultraman Z" episode #11:

6. Kai "the spy"

This week, Ultraman Zero invites you to watch "Ultraman Gaia", episode #40:

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

For anyone that likes having shows/etc on physical media, I'd definitely recommend the Millcreek Ultraman releases. I have Ultraman Geed (which you didn't list, but they definitely sell because I have it) and Ultraseven on Blu Ray from Millcreek, and they're very well done. No special features or anything, but they look as good as they probably can being (I assume) upscaled to HD. You can also usually find the shows cheaper on places like amazon (I paid about $20-22 per Ultraman show that I have), which is a pretty good deal in my opinion.

Also, if you buy them new (at least when I did) you get a digital code to also get the episodes on the Millcreek owned Moviespree streaming site/app, which is pretty convenient. You can also buy the shows digitally on that app/service, I think.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oops, I didn't realize I missed Geed.
    I did find a few that ran, and I think Max might have been one of them. I didn't actually watch it though, I just started long enough to see if the video played.

9. Kai "the spy"

Yesterday's upload was an episode of Ultraman Taiga without English subtitles, so I didn't post that.

Today, though, Tsuburaya uploaded episode #10 of "Ultraman Max":

10. Kai "the spy"

And today we get "Ultraman Zero: The Chronicle" episode #3:

11. Kai "the spy"

Today's upload is "Ultraman 80", episode #24:

12. Kai "the spy"

New "Ultraman Z", episode #12:

13. Kai "the spy"

Join Ultraman Zero to watch episode #23 of "Ultraman Leo":

14. Kai "the spy"

Damn, they uploaded one of the UltraSeven direct-to-video films from 1999 yesterday, but didn't include English subs. Too bad.

Well, today, they did upload episode #11 of "Ultraman Max", with English subs. This episode was directed by Shusuke Kaneko, who directed the 90s Gamera trilogy, as well as "Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-out Attack". The original TV version included an easter egg of two children on a playground pitting their Godzilla and Gamera figures against each other (it was edited out for the home video version, and it doesn't appear to be included in this upload, either). This episode also guest-stars Ayako Fujitani, who played the character of Asagi Kusinagi in all three of Kaneko's Gamera films. Enjoy:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shit, that reminds, I bought a blu-ray Gamera trilogy cheap at Wal-Mart years ago, and I never did watch the third one. I might have to rewatch the first two and watch #3 after I finish the Alien movies on HBOMax.

16. Kai "the spy"

^You definitely should. The whole trilogy are among the best kaiju movies ever, and the third one especially had some very impressive SFX (considering the movie is from 1999 and cost about 6 million dollars).

Here's episode #25 of "Ultraman 80":

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, definitely. It's exceptionally well-done, very smart and very well-made (though the second film is weaker than the other two). It's a startling contrast from the Showa-era Gamera films, which were among the dumbest, cheapest kaiju movies I've seen.

I'd also strongly recommend the 2006 Gamera the Brave. It's a lot more kid-friendly than the '90s trilogy, but in a very intelligent, thoughtful, moving way. It's like a live-action Miyazaki film. (The director, Ryuta Tasaki, worked on several Super Sentai seasons in the later '90s, then directed a number of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy and Lightspeed Rescue episodes, and since then has worked extensively in Kamen Rider.)

18. Kai "the spy"

^Yes, Gamera the Brave was really well done. I think of it as what the Showa Gamera films tried to do, but with actual quality writing, directing, and acting. And the SFX were also very impressive, and the kaiju fight at the end was even something completely new, what with the slightly smaller kaijus climbing buildings to jump each other and stuff like that. And I really liked Zedus as the antagonist kaiju.
    As for the Showa-era films, I would pick the second film, Gamera vs. Barugon, as an actually good and "mature" kaiju film, but yeah, the rest were MST3K fodder, and deservedly so.

Well, here's this week's episode of "Ultraman Z":

Oh, hey, they referrence social distancing on this episode. It's also largely a clip show, so shortly after the mecha special. I'd guess that shooting was also complicated due to CoVID, and using so much footage from previous episodes was necessary to make the airdate. Still worth watching, as the arc of Haruki's trauma is further explored, and of course, the rare appearance of one of the weirdest of Ultra kaijin (human-sized kaiju), the money-eating Kanegon.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I dunno, in some ways it was a repudiation of Showa Gamera. I mean, those movies were sadistic. They reveled in showing Gamera getting stabbed and lacerated and gored and bleeding weirdly colored fluids and keening in unimaginable agony as he endured ongoing brutalization in defense of human children. Even with the obvious rubber suits and candy-colored fake blood, it's disturbing to watch. The Brave turned that around by telling a story about a boy who didn't want his Gamera to fight and suffer and die for him, and by having the children come together to save Gamera instead (in a sequence that was really amazingly, movingly done).

Yeah... I would call that one fairly average as kaiju films go, but it's the only moderately worthwhile Showa Gamera film (and the only one that doesn't have any child characters).

20. Kai "the spy"

I lumped that in with "better writing", as the Showa-era films treated plot and characterization as little more than an excuse for monster action and stretching running time to feature length. T

I do have a soft spot for it, and do consider it to be pretty good. It has well-written main characters, themes of greed, guilt and redemption, as well as a relatively well-crafted modern-civilisation-vs-one-with-nature theme. The special effects never look convincing, but they look distinct from the Toho films of the time and have their own charme. And the whole movie has a bit of a fairy-tale-for-adults atmosphere to it.

But no need to make an issue out of it. I happen to like the film more than you, nothing wrong with that.