News Stay At Home With ULTRAMAN| Ultra Science Fiction Hour on YouTube

"Ultraman Regulos" just premiered on YouTube, and they're one video for both audio versions (Japanese original and English dub), so now only one link necessary:

Regulos #1

Oh, I thought it wasn't until Tuesday. But then, YouTube says it went up 2 hours ago, which would've been about 12:30 AM Tuesday in Japan.

I find it mediocre so far, just some fairly uninteresting training and stilted exposition. It's surprising that it's in Leo's past, shortly before the events of his series (or at least shortly before the catalyzing event of his backstory, an unspecified time before the series), yet Regulos already has an even deeper backstory that he's forgotten.

The setting of Planet D60 is potentially interesting, the way it intermingles both giant and human-scale inhabitants of various species. I'd like to see that aspect developed more. But it's weird that it's shown from space as looking exactly like Earth's continents in outline.

Though I'm not impressed with the miniseries yet, I do appreciate Tsuburaya releasing their shows to Japanese and English-speaking audiences simultaneously. I wish Toei would do so with their shows.

I wasn't expecting Regulos episode 2 until this afternoon, but when I went to the site to check when it would drop, I saw it already came out a couple of days ago.

The release schedule is given below the video:

☆Release Schedule
Episode 1: Tuesday, May 23rd
Episode 2: Saturday, May 27th
Episode 3: Saturday, June 3rd
Volume 1 (Episode 1~3): Saturday, June 3rd *only on Ultraman Connection

Episode 4: Tuesday, June 6th
Episode 5: Saturday, June 10th
Episode 6: Saturday, June 17th
Volume 2 (Episode 4~6): Saturday, June 17th *only on Ultraman Connection

Ultraman Regulos: First Mission
Available on ULTRAMAN OFFICIAL YouTube Channel and Ultraman Connection from July 4th!

Volume 1: Tuesday, July 4th
Volume 2: Sunday, July 9th
Full Version: Sunday, July 9th *only on Ultraman Connection

Going by the first episode, these should be Japan times, with the release possibly being on the previous day in US time.

This was somewhat better than the first episode, moving the story forward more and upping the stakes of the action. Still not much to it, though.

And I wish I could figure out how to get YouTube to default to the Japanese audio track for these.

Sorry, I'd been busy at work this past weekend. But here, finally, are the rest of the past week's uploaded episodes:

Taro #8

Seven #34

Dubbed Z #15

Dubbed Z #16

ShoutFactoryTV has just added Ultraman Cosmos to its TokuSHOUTsu streaming site, including all three movies. This means that TokuSHOUTsu now has every mainstream Ultraman series from 1966-2018, and a few others like the first and third Ultra Q series and Ultraseven X. Still absent are Heisei Ultraseven, Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy, the two English-language series Toward the Future (aka Ultraman Great) and The Ultimate Hero (aka Ultraman Powered), and a number of movies. But it's cool that most of it is now officially available in the US.

Here's Regulos episode 3:

Mostly training and exposition, some more character establishment, and some foreshadowing, including a glimpse of Astra in captivity. I only just realized this week that
the trainee Dias, who was interested in Master Alude's Buffalo Fist technique, is no doubt Absolute Diavolo, established in UGF as the one who killed Alude to take his technique.

The next episode is just 3 days from now.

Oh, I forgot the time zone difference again. So when they said Regulos would premiere on Tuesday, it meant Monday at 11 AM my time. So the final two should be out this Friday and next.

So Regulos finishes his informal training with the guy in the cave, but he still lets his emotions get the best of him when Spica's hurt. I knew the warning about his emotions would come into play, but I was expecting it to be more about his anger regarding Leo and Astra. I also wasn't expecting the Magma-seijin to be defeated so soon, but I guess it's to clear the board for the final boss. They chose an odd place to break, postponing what those of us who remember The Destined Crossroad know is coming.

Here's Regulos #5:

I was worried that the audio language selection wasn't available on the menu, but fortunately it defaulted to Japanese instead of English.

So... Origin achieved, but we only get the first half of the climactic battle. Turns out the Magma leader Volcan is still around and is the final boss. And they're being cagey about what really happened to Master Alude.

A new, 5-minute trailer for Ultraman Blazar, introducing the main characters:

The premiere date is July 8 (though the caption on the YouTube page mistakenly says June 8).

EDIT: Looks like there are quite a few original kaiju this season, along with some returning ones: https://twitter.com/anon54980/status/1668237080055672832

I think there was some kind of preview event that's on the YouTube channel, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Last edited:
Opening song for Blazar

Henshin(stage)

Blazar emerging out of the shadows gave me "Guyver" vibes

Blazar- I am....The Guyver! Whoops wrong country and wrong series.

Also the series will be simulcast with the Japan timeslot

Fresh off the grill, here's the conclusion to Ultraman Regulos:

There's a bit of a Monty Python fakeout where they run the complete end credits about 5 minutes in after a rather cursory final battle with Volcan and the "happy ending," but then the twist comes in an extended post-credit scene that sets up the Ultra Galaxy Fight stuff we've already seen.

Overall, this was fairly mediocre, not terrible but not particularly noteworthy. Of course, one doesn't expect a lot of depth of story and characterization in these webseries that are basically all action, but with UGF, you at least get the abundance of appearances by past Ultras and the way it ties the multiverse together into a larger continuity. There was some of the latter here, with the tie-in to Leo's backstory, but aside from Leo's cameo (and Astra's, barely), this was mostly new characters, or returning UGF characters acting out the backstory we already knew.

I assume Sakamoto has more plans for Regulos in the future, since the mystery of his origins is still unresolved. Honestly, I would've rather seen a series about Ultraman Ribut, whom I rather like.

Final episode

ULTRAMAN NEW GENERATION STARS Episode 22

Next week is a special on Blazar

Is it just me or is Ultraman getting more and more mainstream? They're going to simulcast the dub alongside the Japanese airing. That seems like they really want to entice the western fans.

Also Bandai America which used to produce Power Ranger toys before Hasbro took over will be handing merchandise for the US side of things

https://news.ultramanconnection.com/bandai-namco-scores-ultraman-north-american-master-toy-license/

Back