Status of the Series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Nathan, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why is it that you want it on netflix?

2. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Commodore Commodore

But how much would they save by letting Netflix absorb most or all of the production costs?

3. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Netflix already does. The amount netflix would pay in the US would be less then what CBS makes on it on AA.

eltel99uk likes this.
  4. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this the same source of the rumors that said Beyond would never be filmed, and that Discovery would never air?

Okay.

burningoil, MvRojo and XCV330 like this.
  5. eltel99uk

eltel99uk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I read an economics/finance/politics/business/tech blog called NakedCapitalism which offers lots of links to stories in the MSM and elsewhere and read ones about this topic. The business models of the big US networks have been discussed, given streaming. Netflix is both very rich and very aware that it needs a huge catalogue of its own productions to maintain long-term viability, given that people are increasingly paying for particular networks. Netflix can't rely on its old model of showing other networks' content indefinitely - they all want that content and cash for themselves.

Thus Netflix now launches around 60 (!) shows per year now - of course many fail, but it can afford this in a way CBSAA (for instance) cannot. CBSAA will fund ST for longer than a traditional network would have done under the "old" model - because it offers a "way in" to ST (and the network generally) that they desperately need. Of course, having said that, all it takes is some short-sighted execs, or an asset stripper seeing CBS as takeover material, for ST to be toast. At which point I believe Netflix would snap it up pronto.

Either way, I don't think ST is in trouble, whether or not we have qualms about how it has been handled in DSC.

seigezunt likes this.
  6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Doesn't matter. Discovery is CBS's flagship program now, for their streaming service. Letting Netflix have it would scuttle their attempt at being an independent streaming service. Their real problem is how to keep subscribers in the interim. The viewers they got probably aren't there for Brady Bunch reruns (yes.. you can watch Brady Bunch on CBSAA!), and if they're going to cater to us, they'll probably have to retool their product line. They can't be the Matlock and Murder She Wrote network on CBSAA.

Kol-Ut-Shan and eltel99uk like this.
  7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's a talking head blogger who is just guessing without any hard data.

Here's a talking head who posts to Forbes stating ST: D is an 'unstobabke monster' as far as healping Netfix subscriptions outside of the U.S.:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmor...overy-is-an-unstoppable-monster/#5771005b152e

In the end you could take either worth a grain of salt; but the fact is:

- CBS has stated they're pleased with ST: D's performance RE: increasing CBSAA sub numbers
    - CBS has renewed the show for a second season.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Kol-Ut-Shan and JoeP like this.
  8. RoamerAus

RoamerAus Ensign Red Shirt

The whole Netflix is paying from Discovery basically came from Les Moonves' own mouth ...
    https://www.investors.com/news/netflix-star-trek-deal-helps-cbs-chief-les-moonves-sleep-at-night/
    The rights deal "bought and paid for" the costs involved with the new series, Moonves said.
    "I go to bed a lot happier knowing that 'Star Trek' is all paid for," he said.

With the kind of commitment Netflix has made to the series, one would think they have a first look or option to continue licencing the series if CBS decides to cancel it on CBSAA, or CBSAA fails completely.

I think the next hurdle for CBSAA is how many subscribers are going to cancel till 2019. Wishful thinking but the long term solution might be to have two Star Trek series in rotation.

eltel99uk likes this.
  9. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

The amount that will cancel will be a lot. Unless CBSAA quickly gets something else interesting on their service. It doesn't even need to be Star Trek series, just same genre. There was news of a Twilight Zone reboot coming on CBSAA sometime in the future. I'm sure that would keep some viewers subscribed.

10. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I might be interested in that, but I don't think I'd pay for it. I'd just wait until Trek was back and watch it then. All Access has a hard row to hoe.

Twilight Zone's kind of an odd idea for a tentpole. It has name recognition, but the last two revivals didn't draw a lot of interest, even when they were on TV for free.

11. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started thinking about the Nick Meyer's Mysterious Project. What if they were producing a mini series on this hiatus? A preparation for Pike´s history?

12. eltel99uk

eltel99uk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Indeed. I think ST's future is assured....the issue is whether CBSAA has the cash (and CBS behind it) to "play with the big boys" in terms of networks people now pay individually for. If it does, then ST is their trophy....if not then they'll be taken over and broken up, in which case Netflix would love to buy the rights to ST. So I don't think we need worry too much about ST. Netflix is still building its portfolio of in-house productions in this "new world" where they increasingly can't rely on showing other networks' shows - hence the 60 per year they now produce. So ST is secure. The only question is where its long-term home will be.

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The streaming rights yes. They didn't actually pay for production.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

This series would have no future if All Access went defunct. It exists entirely as a subscriber inducement.

15. RoamerAus

RoamerAus Ensign Red Shirt

Licencing wise you are 100% correct, but they paid so much for streaming rights for the rest of the planet that they covered the production costs, and hence Les Moonves can sleep well at night.

As I mentioned, if CBSAA goes bye-bye, I can not conceive that Netflix does not have it in their contract, that they have first dibs at global rights.

16. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, then my question would be if they knew the show was going to have a second season, why did they stop production at the end of season one? Why didn't they just keep going, after a short break start on first episode of season two after making the last episode of season one?

After a near year hiatus, they're going to have to rebuild their audience.

17. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

This Sunday I'll activate CBSAA long enough to watch the 2nd half of the season, then I'll cancel it again. So I'll finally get to see what all the 2nd half of the season hubbub is all about. Unfortunately I already know about Lorca from hanging around here to much. LOL

CBSAA has nothing for me except Discovery, and even Discovery I consider half assed, but good enough to pay a few bucks to binge through. I don't care that it doesn't follow canon closely, like most Star Trek productions canon is a guideline, not a rule, and I'm good with that. It's a friggin' TV show, not a documentary. It's the mumbo jumbo stirred and shaken characters I have a problem with, not anything else. Well, that and that stupid ass Klingonese dialogue with the subtitles.

Discovery is better than the worst of Star Trek, but not even close to being considered among the best. I suppose I should put up a "IMO" with that. :p

Jadeb likes this.
  18. Jadeb

You'll probably enjoy it more that way, TBH.

19. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Well, the "surprise" about Lorca wasn't really a surprise anyway seeing as how it was predicted in here on numerous occasions.

20. Jadeb

Yeah, I watched it hoping it wouldn't happen. At least you won't have to sit through that.