Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killerprise

Killerprise Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

How exactly does measuring the hatches and everything else to estimate the ship's actual size qualify as being in denial? I'm not in denial I just want it on paper how the ship is that big, some blueprints would be nice. Is it also to be in denial when you're told some information yet visual evidence proves otherwise?

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Yes, character guesswork < hard evidence.

It doesn't matter how big you want the Enterprise to be, sir.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It reads like one of James Dixon's, but with Okuda as God instead of Franz Jopseph. There is so much wrong with this it's not funny. And Bernd is an engineer? Why doesn't he understand basic perspective?
    [​IMG]

And what about the lobby from Into Darkness, located directly behind the bridge? This is a quick picture made using the set plans for the movie, and an Enterprise at 725m. It goes without saying that they could NEVER fit in a smaller ship.
    [​IMG]

4. Killerprise

I like how your bridge diagram is too small compared to the bridge dome. The bridge itself fills up the whole area behind the window. The hallway behind the bridge goes toward the back of the ship, not off to the side like your picture suggests. Make I have the diagram image, I can elaborate that way?

5. F. King Daniel

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211333&page=46

Remember, the lobby has to fit in behind the bridge, as seen here. The bridge itself is not under the dome on this Enterprise, and it certainly does not fill the structure:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_qqPMMTSaw[/YT]
    The two sets fit perfectly at 2380'/725m, as I've shown.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Besides, Bernd is still just a fan having (I would hope) fun with conjecturing up answers to stuff. End of the day, if the production says 700(+)m, then that's what it is. No matter how much measuring and scaling the fans do, it is what it is.

Besides, as you've said, the sets fit a larger ship. You'd never be able to stuff an engineering the scale of the one of the (nu)1701 onto the (prime)1701.

7. Killerprise

Yes it is under the dome, would you like me to upload the scene from the 2009 movie that shows the camera moving to outside of the bridge after the Enterprise arrives at vulcan? There is more than one atrium, you can see it in the star trek console game. The dome on the saucer's top is actually a sensor as is the dome on the bottom of the saucer. On the starboard side of the bridge there is an airlock leading to outer space.

8. F. King Daniel

You might want to look at that scene a little closer yourself. There is a similar shot in Into Darkness, seen here and again at the end of the movie:
    [​IMG]
    An oval room at the front of deck 2, directly in front of the lobby, which rests under the dome.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Crazy Eddie's not a stalker; he just likes to to argue. At length. About almost anything. With anyone. Likes it a lot.

If, however, you feel you have a genuine complaint about being stalked, or concerning any other rule violation or conduct issue, please make use of the 'Notify Moderator' button [ [​IMG] ] on the relevant post or message, rather than doing an in-thread call-out (which is considered poor form here, and may be actionable if taken to excess.)

Also, I'd recommend against citing that particular page at EAS as evidence of anything. Not if you expect your arguments to be taken seriously, at any rate, as Bernd's "Enterprise Size Controversy" amounts to little more than a lengthy etude in the key of "La la la, I don't WANT it to be that size!"

10. Killerprise

Yeah this blue ring is directly under that dome. The atrium is somewhere else.

http://1-akamai.tapcdn.com/images/t...erprise-bridge-757de280-sz850x379-animate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  11. F. King Daniel

No, the blue thing and the dome aren't the same, it's merely a funky bridge ceiling. You can see the dome in the bar scene I posted, they look nothing alike.

And if the domes at the top and bottom of the 16+ deck lobby aren't the top and bottom domes on the saucer, what are they supposed to be?

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Where did you get that nonsense?

Here's the bridge as seen in the movie

13. Killerprise

It's the panoramic view from the Star Trek movie site for the 2009 movie.

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Thanks King Daniel, the screenshot clearly shows that the bridge is not under the dome, also from the shot of Kirk on the communicator it looks like he is behind the bridge and one floor above judging by how close he is to the dome behind him.

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Except someone tricked in the wrong ceiling, as we can see from the movie cap. And here's the bridge from STID: No ring

16. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

That dome in the picture is not high enough to be the dome you see on the outside shot that King Daniel posted.

17. F. King Daniel

That huge blue "ceiling" is actually just the interior of the pod thing hanging down over the captain's chair in the pic you posted. The 360 panorama has distorted the hell out of it and made it look enourmous.

18. Killerprise

It's from the movie's official site. Sorry Daniel you don't work for paramount so your technical drawings is purely a fan effort.

19. Killerprise

I'll find the link to the panoramic view thats interactive, it's out there I've used it before.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/panoramas/bridge.html

20. F. King Daniel

Thats a set diagram! From the makers of the movie. Didn't you click the link I gave you? There are no doors at the front of the bridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.