Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killerprise

Killerprise Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm going with the 366 meter length until absolute concrete evidence is presented otherwise and no the Blu-Ray picture will not suffice it was just an inflated image of the ship. Random quotes from various ILM staffers won't work either. A technical manual designed by the people who finalized the ship's design will do nicely but we know the likelihood of that coming to fruition. Their own movie contradicts what they say anyway.

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Not again...

3. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? Because some guy on a website that nobody visits anymore pulled that figure out of his ass in a fit of nerdrage?:vulcan:

Was never produced for the ORIGINAL series in the first place. Why would you require one for the reboot?

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This New Enterprise size infographic is concrete evidence.

The bridge and lobby ALONE prove 725m is the only size the ship can ever possibly be.

EDITED TO ADD: Even the Haynes Enterprise manual states that the alternate reality Enterprise is significantly larger than the version Kirk Prime commanded.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  5. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Yeah mate you go bury your head in the sand it will make you feel better, when you pull your head back out the NuEnterprise will still be as big as the Enterprise D (definitely longer) and the Vengeance will still be as big as a Romulan Warbird.

Lolz...

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Again I'll say... the size of the ship has NOTHING to do with the story being told. If the acting isn't good enough for you, fine. You hated the plot? Coolcoolcool. Directing not your cup of java? Kudos to you.

But where's the logic in bashing a movie, just because you think the ships to big?

Hell, when you think about all the room you'd need to house a generator that could create enough energy to warp space-time, and have 400 people living on it, have enough room to house, maintain and launch several shuttles capable of housing 7 people each, room for transporters, sensors, sciencelabs, medical facilities, recreational facilities, arboritum and God knows what else for when the plot needed it, the original Enterprise was way to small.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'm going with the 20 meter length because I want it that way.

Seriously, why ignore the obvious ? You can't win against reality, no matter how hard you try.

Yeah, what do they know, right ? They're only the ones making and scaling the CGI model, after all.

8. Killerprise

That's a location infographic, that does not prove the size. If you actually want to prove the size using something other than a bunch of pictures then go for it but then you would be proven wrong. Is that what you guys do, hang out on the trek forum trying to convince others that you are right and they are wrong? You've failed.

9. Mage

No, you failed by actually NOT believing something that the designers of the friggin ship have actually stated to be true, i.e. the size of the ship. There's a word for that: denial.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look at the bridge and lobby. Thats irrefutable evidence, the sets and the Enterprise at their correct sizes. They would never fit at any smaller size. And you say I've failed? Tell me how they could both fit on a 366m ship, with all those decks and the domes top and bottom - and fit a 50-foot wide bridge in front!

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

As opposed to what you are doing which is... what? Cool it with the hostility, first of all, and if you're going to argue a point of view, you should back it up with some evidence instead of just invective.

12. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    We've been through all this before, Killerprise. Did you read the thread ?

- The shuttlebay. Enough said.
    - Production team says 700+ m
    - Schematics show 700+ m
    - CGI model scaled to 700+ m
    - Windows show interiors and appear to show 700+ m ship
    - The bridge and engineering rooms are far too large for a much smaller ship.
    - etc.

At some point you have to give up your preconceptions, analyse why you want so much to cling to then, and accept reality.

13. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Just my weigh in... The creators clearly made the point to ensure the scaling was supersized. And while I don't personally like the ship, I don't have any issue with it because it's a new timeline/universe... So in a way, there's nothing more to compare it to than comparing new Kirk's blue eyes to original Kirk's brown eyes. It's just a new universe for the creators to play around in.

And we do it all the time when we design a new ship or create a new story for the original or new characters.

I can pick apart any movie, but if it's enjoyable, I can overlook the what I would consider to be BS IF the movie was bad.

And we all don't have to agree with each other to discuss what we care about. The ship is as much a character now as it was since I was a kid. This one to me just happens to be fat and ugly, but meh, I liked the movies and wasn't going to let that fugly bastard ruin it for me.

14. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SIG worthy! :bolian:

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The ship is actually a giant living metal changeling that changes size on a whim or when it thinks the crew aren't looking.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Because that kind of thing happens all the time on the Internet.

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And of course, that's an homage to the Defiant from DS9.

(I'm a sucker for prime universe shout outs)

18. Killerprise

Probably wrong? We are talking about Montgomery Scott one of the most efficient engineers in Starfleet, he's not remotely wrong and neither is the evidence that proves the ship isn't 2500 ft/ 725 meters but I'm sure you will make up ANY excuse to say all of the evidence is wrong. The atrium shaft is missing the computer core. The hatches are the same size as the refit Enterprise's are as well. I'm going to link this because it's pertinent and it will piss crazy eddy off because he doesn't like it when someone has a differing opinion.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/new_enterprise_comment.htm#size

P.S. I came here to have fun and do some debating not get harassed so kindly back off and refrain from responding to every one of my posts like a stalker. I still can't believe I've attracted a stalker that fast.

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The production team calls it at 700(+) meters, and that's what the official size stands at till they change their mind.

20. Mage

When you make silly comments about not accepting something that the designers of the ship have stated as fact, you're gonna get harassed like this I guess. It makes you look a bit in denial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.