Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by FalTorPan, Jun 18, 2008.

1. NEO f/x

NEO f/x Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Excellent Gorn and Romulan War Birds!!

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Gosh, Michael, that Andorian looks reallllly familiar. ;)

4. NEO f/x

Are you saying it looks like me? Actually, good catch....it was originally designed using my face, but another artist tweaked it, so I thought the similarities went away. Guess not...Vic Mignogna is voicing this particular character.

5. jaksajak

jaksajak Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey awesome!! The trailer looks great, seems like an exciting episode. It was cool to see Tim Russ featured and I liked hearing Lou Scheimer, one of my personal heros!

6. NEO f/x

You should really enjoy the episode then. Tim plays a nice role in Act 2, and Lou is featured as a character he played in TAS. Vic plays the Andorian. But, the main guest star is Chase Masterson playing a relative of one of the Farragut crew members.

Thanks for the kind words! And Lou is a hero of mine as well...it was SO cool to meet and spend time with him.

7. Maurice

Yes. It's very obviously you!

8. jaksajak

You guys really brought some amazing alumni together for this project, very commendable! I noticed Jack Trevino is also on the bill for this one. Keep up the great work.

9. NEO f/x

Jack is indeed the screenplay writer on this one. The original story was intended to be a live-action episode, but just like original TOS, it was very aggressive for a low-budget episode. However, TAS makes it very easy!

Anyway, I was working on OGAM at the time and started corresponding with Jack, and he offered to bring his "treksperienc" (new word) to the table. He and I went back and forth on it, and while it is still an aggressive story to tell in 1/2 hour, I think it will turn out great!

10. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just realized the Gorn ship design is almost identical to the remastered CGI Gorn ship. Nice continuity!!

11. NEO f/x

Finally, some one noticed that...I was waiting for the 'that is a strange looking ship' comment.

You are indeed correct about the design. There are a few designs on the net about possible Gorn ships. But it seemed the right thing to do to use what CBS digital came up with...even though it wasn't fully seen.

Another 'bonus' in the next episode is the Andorian ship we see on screen. It is very similar to the ones seen on Enterprise...but, more in the TOS era. Both of these were modeled in 3D by an artist named Tim Bailey, and inked by Tom Phong.

Good eye!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Utilizing Phong shading, presumably. ;)

13. NEO f/x

Dennis,

Only 3D artists will probably understand that :P

14. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Or fans of ReBoot. :p

15. jaksajak

Sounds exciting! I like that you're using the ambitious screenplay for an animated episode and hope it turns out well. That's cool you worked with STOGAM and could get to know the team. I really enjoyed that production.

16. NEO f/x

Thanks...we are making good progress on editing the episode...The biggest issue right now is that it is going over the goal of 1/2 hour. Power Source did too...but a couple minutes, but we are talking 5-10 minutes over for The Needs of the Many. Since it is a fast-paced, involved story, we may just leave it a bit longer and consider that an early holiday present for everyone ;)

17. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

While I understand the TV show instinct to keep it to a given length, given the medium, you may just want to make sure it's well paced rather than a given number of minutes.

18. jaksajak

I agree with Barbreader! Do some necessary editing and keep at a good pace, but don't worry if it goes a little longer. It will make an excellent holiday present.

:techman:

19. NEO f/x

Yeah...That is the consensus....keep the flow going, but don't cut out any of the story....TAS did that and sometimes the story felt TOO rushed and even incomplete.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

20. Maurice

Honestly, there were edits that could have been done to Power Source to get its running time down and get the pacing up. I'd encourage Michael to take the time to tighten up the next one as much as he likes.