Spoilers Starship Design in Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by pst, Jan 9, 2020.

1. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We can argue for anything ranked 3 and below, but any list that doesn't have TOS enterprise as number one and E-D as number two is just plain wrong :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    jackoverfull, Saul, NCC-73515 and 2 others like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be wrong on the D all day long.

Campe likes this.
  3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I like the NX-01 more than I do any other Enterprises except for the TOS, the Enterprise refit and the 1701-A and - maybe - the Enterprise-D.

urbandk likes this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

90% my list as well. I probably wouldn’t have put the Enterprise-E that low; it would probably be between the C and the B.

ITDUDE likes this.
  5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The prettiest Enterprise is the TMP refit; I don't shorthand it as the Ent-A, because it never felt like the same ship to me.

PiotrB, Gonzo, 137th Gebirg and 3 others like this.
  6. ITDUDE

Yeah, I placed it higher before. But with 20 years of hindsight and more in-depth analysis, it just doesn't right to place it that high

7. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I'm actually a little unclear on the relationship between the DSC/PIC Enterprise and the TOS/TMP Enterprise.

It seems as though the redesign/re-imagining split the difference between the two and posits that the struts were not rebuilt during the refit but were always that way.

In other words, the Enterprise as depicted in TOS is a kind of hazy approximation of what the Enterprise "is" in this new continuation of Prime continuity.

Some real epistemological questions here!

jackoverfull and SolarisOne like this.
  8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise-E was an ok ship for its time and use in the TNG films, but it doesn’t scream weekly hero ship for me like the Enterprise-D did.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You are correct. The Powers That Be are retconning the original TOS Enterprise out of existence. Even though it was just fine for the last 50 years.

urbandk likes this.
  10. ITDUDE

Well.. (deep breath)... you see there are like 17 versions of original TOS enterprise, April, Pre-pike, post-pike, pre-cage, post-cage, pre-Kirk, pre-second-pilot, post-second-pilot, phase II, pre-TMP, post TMP.... (second deep breath)... and then there is the -A which is not same the same thing as TMP.... (faints from lack of oxygen)...
    Basically there is an enterprise for every occasion. They all go through major refits between appearances.. Yeah.. that's right.

gerbil and urbandk like this.
  11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Except CBS is making it clear that there was only one version of the NCC-1701 before the TMP refit, and what we see in DSC is it. No seventeen different refits; just the one design.

Nenya and BillJ like this.
  12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Yeah, I never got attached to that one either.

Gonzo and ITDUDE like this.
  13. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I guess if you squint really hard while watching DSC/PIC you can see the TOS Enterprise or, if you prefer, the DSC/PIC Enterprise while watching TOS.

There must be some Platonic ideal, the Enterprise essence if you will, that precedes all these depictions.

14. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not clear at all. Ships called B'rell have been using same stock footage than ships refereed as K'vort so there is no particular reason to assume these two are different size. And even the one and the same ship, HMS Bounty, seems to change size from scene to scene.

15. ITDUDE

It's not a given that there is a TMP refit anymore. I think CBS is saying there was only ever one TOS Enterprise (looks the same as -A). I just can't see Discoprise morphing into original TMP refit.
    If they still want to have a TMP refit (and -A that looks like TMP refit) as historical Enterprises, then they would have to make a new TMP refit, based on Discoprise. Won't the Interwebz explode if that version is ever shown on screen :D

SolarisOne likes this.
  16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Tell that to CBS, Paramount and Mike Okuda. Sure, there are different sizes. The creators have already said so and dating back decades.

17. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just watched some TOS couple of days ago. I did not see Discoprise there.

ITDUDE, Dukhat and cooleddie74 like this.
  18. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

Such is life and the way things go.

The Borg have been retconned, and then the retcon has been retconned to a new retcon.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Seeing Kruge’s original BoP in STIII, and then seeing the exact same ship with a wingspan as long as a Romulan warbird in TNG, is pretty solid proof that not all BoPs are the same size.

20. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

And you didn't see Sisko, Dax, O'brien and Bashir on K-7 and the Enterprise during The Trouble with Tribbles, but they were there...

antinoos and SolarisOne like this.