Spoilers Starship Design in Star Trek: Picard

Oh, I dunno about that. Take away the boxy Warp Nacelles and the designs are pretty simple.
BGv7p8P.jpeg

Over the years, I've really grown to appreciate some of these designs.
Overly-detailed designs which don’t look plausible as pre-dating Kirk’s Enterprise, and that’s while taking into account the higher visual fidelity of these CGI designs over the physical models used for TOS and the TOS films. The designs look like contemporaries of the ships introduced in First Contact rather than mid 23rd century vessels.

So, I figured I want to rewatch season 3....

And I can only say... the moment Titan leaves Spacedock and we see her in all her glory.... She's an Enterprise alright. I don't care about lineage and whether or not she fits into a design line according to fannymcfanfanboys on the interwebs.

THAT has the lines of an Enterprise.

Oh, I dunno..... in my eyes, they're pretty much perfect as ships meant to post-date and pre-date these two beauties...
zmjjcaM.jpeg

Opinions may vary.
For my money, the Discovery 23rd Centruy feels like a natural progression from the NX-01 to the USS KELVIN to the Constitution class. And bearing in mind that the Constitution class was unique amongst the Starfleet vessels of the day so expecting them to look identical is probably in error since, as Kirk notes, "there are only 12 like her in the fleet."

the Discovery/SNW Enterprise does indeed feel like a natural progression from the NX-01. I feel like a lot of the other ships in Discovery did not, as they seemed more at home in the 2370's vs the 2250's.

What I will say I like is the fact that the SNW Enterprise does seem to be a more natural progression to the Enterprise Refit/Constitution II class (despite what Bernd screams about)

Using the astounding artwork of Jetfreak-7 over at DeviantArt, I've put together a rough chronological order of how I think early Starfleet developed. The order isn't set in stone as I'm sure there could be much debate over the order of the Disco ships, plus where exactly the Kelvin fits in, but overall, I think it works out pretty good.
ZLiEDyT.jpeg
YVP13cW.jpeg
WCU3JjT.jpeg
YKvjNOQ.jpeg
e3xK4n2.jpeg

Again, ALL credit to the amazing artwork of Jetfreak-7.

Using the astounding artwork of Jetfreak-7 over at DeviantArt, I've put together a rough chronological order of how I think early Starfleet developed. The order isn't set in stone as I'm sure there could be much debate over the order of the Disco ships, plus where exactly the Kelvin fits in, but overall, I think it works out pretty good.
ZLiEDyT.jpeg
YVP13cW.jpeg
WCU3JjT.jpeg
YKvjNOQ.jpeg
e3xK4n2.jpeg

Ooof that's an amazing lineup.
Beautiful Starships. For me, that's what Star Trek is truly about.

Eh?
ipjMOcG.jpeg

Not really seeing it beyond the name and registry being down the sides. That, and I guess the livery.

Overall engine shape (angular, etc) mounted on the pylons, the curved center section with the sensor pacakge on the nose and the raised aft fuselage enpenage, etc.

If you can't see it, thats fine. I see it and it just kinda throws me off, but thats a me thing.

Overall engine shape (angular, etc) mounted on the pylons, the curved center section with the sensor pacakge on the nose and the raised aft fuselage enpenage, etc.

If you can't see it, thats fine. I see it and it just kinda throws me off, but thats a me thing.
No, I kinda see what you mean. Basically if you stripped away the two sides of the saucer and left only the "tube" and engines.

But, I adore the Normandy, so I guess I now like the Walker class even more then I did!

ZLiEDyT.jpeg
YVP13cW.jpeg
WCU3JjT.jpeg
YKvjNOQ.jpeg
e3xK4n2.jpeg

Excellent reference work and thank you for pulling it all together. This is an amazing lineage. Just lovely.
No, I kinda see what you mean. Basically if you stripped away the two sides of the saucer and left only the "tube" and engines.
Thank you for putting up the pictures. I kind of see it but I do like the Walker class more than the Normandy.

Excellent reference work and thank you for pulling it all together. This is an amazing lineage. Just lovely.
Np. I'm a firm believer in the whole "a pictures worth a thousand words" thing. Plus, I honestly think alot of people didn't give the Disco ships a chance, just because they didn't look like something from 1966.

Thank you for putting up the pictures. I kind of see it but I do like the Walker class more than the Normandy.

I like the Walker class, alot. But, Mass Effect is almost as important to me as Trek. I LOVE the Normandy.
lc3vxXu.jpeg
kBSCtgS.jpeg

My basement is pretty much just a shrine to Star Trek, Mass Effect, Star Wars, and 80's scifi /horror.

Oh, I dunno..... in my eyes, they're pretty much perfect as ships meant to post-date and pre-date these two beauties...
zmjjcaM.jpeg

Opinions may vary.
Well, that’s a visually retconned modern take on the 1701 Enterprise made to match up with the Enterprise* from the titular series which has always looked too advanced a design for the firm period, so… :shrug: My original point still stands.

* The NX-01 isn’t a terrible design by any means, given the limitations and stipulations the network apparently placed on the showrunners.

Back