Spoilers Starship Design in Star Trek: Picard

That's just streaming-era Trek though; a juvenile 'dark' tone to the storytelling, and the lights always turned down to hide the cheapness of the sets. :shrug:
Oh please. The sets themselves across the board have been motion picture quality; they have to be because as of last season EVERYTHING is filmed in 4K resolution. You want to talk cheap sets, look at the first two seasons of TNG.

The lighting is low because if they go higher, you wouldn't be able to see the live and running computer displays the sets all use. You'd get massive reflective light from those screens.

I love how we've all been admiring the beautifully designed and brightly-lit SNW sets for the last two pages, only for someone to pitch in with "streaming Trek all dark".
Well to be fair, the SNW Bridge set is lit more darkly than the rest of their 1701 sets. It's still lit brighter than the PICARD Bridge sets were, but that because it's display monitors are smaller and set in other set pieces on the Bridge. They were all just a massive Glas-type reflective display screen.

I keep wondering why the D looks more advanced than a lot of the 25th century ships we've seen. The newly christened G has a saucer that is a throwback to the Enterprise 1701 of the TMP era of the 2270s. The D was a new era of ships. It was a whole new saucer design. Why would they go back to a more primitive era?

I keep wondering why the D looks more advanced than a lot of the 25th century ships we've seen. The newly christened G has a saucer that is a throwback to the Enterprise 1701 of the TMP era of the 2270s. The D was a new era of ships. It was a whole new saucer design. Why would they go back to a more primitive era?
Because they can. The hull means very little given the ridiculous amount of varieties we see. So it gives engineers some freedom to have fun designs. Nothing primitive about it.

You can never tell me that the Akira-class wasn't some 2360s Starfleet designer's desire to pay tribute to the NX-class of more than 200 years before. Tradition and callbacks seem to have just as much place in the Federation Starfleet of the 24th century and beyond as a new version of the Volkswagen Bug and the revived Dress Pinks uniforms of the U.S. Army demonstrate the same exists now.

Sometimes people and organizations will stylistically go back to a "better times" for morale purposes.

Maybe but the D looks far more advanced on its hull design. Sleek and elegant. The D is also much larger than the G. I wonder if families are no longer allowed on starships? It looks like the G when it was the Titan had none.

That's why I hated seeing so many Mirandas and Excelsiors in the 24th century, especially in the Deep Space Nine battles. Like congrats on having the occasional cameo from a more modern ship like the Akira. But I guess it boils down to it's what's on the inside that counts (systems, weapons, etc) vs the outside (hull design).

Back