Starship design history in light of Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Nov 18, 2017.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm pretty much just looking at the side view on this one. The other views, of course, will most likely look nothing like it.
    Lexxx.jpg

Probably should have said it "reminds me" of The Lexx. :)

King Daniel Beyond and DaveyNY like this.
  2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

When the Mycellium network shuts down for good, will existing ships be retrofitted with round nacelles s, and new ships look more like the Constitution class?

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

Square nacelles have nothing to do with the spore drive.

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone claimed square nacelles produced a better profile for the spore drive to operate.

5. Tuskin38

That was Eaves' head-canon explanation. Not a statement from a story writer.

6. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i think it was some other kind of new propulsion system in the early stages of the show, this is from the eaglemoss magazine about designing the USS shran:

"At this point in time, the idea was that all of Starfleet's ships would have the new, experimental warp drive that had been installed on the Discovery."

Ronald Held likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Eaves hadn't been given all the new story details yet.

8. 137th Gebirg

Yeah, only Discovery, Glenn and her sister ships (or maybe it was just those two) had the shroom-drive. The square nacelles were Fuller's design choice, straight up. Nothing more, nothing less.

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

I believe it was just the Discovery and the Glenn that got the spore drive modifications.

10. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While true, keep in mind that all the ships we've seen in Discovery were also built after the Enterprise. Cylindrical nacelles were old tech, going back to the Phoenix at that point. Even the TOS movie era has somewhat squarish nacelles. I don't personally need an in-universe explanation, but for those who do, there ya go.

pst, PiotrB, JoeP and 1 other person like this.
  11. 137th Gebirg

Fair enough. Good explanation as any. Still, though, there is absolutely no correlation between spore drive and nacelle shape. If anything the drive mechanism is actuated entirely by the spinny bit in the primary hull.

12. DEWLine

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  13. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Registry numbers have never been consistent in 53 years. Best not worry about the sense of it.

14. Tuskin38

Not always

15. DEWLine

It's been consistent enough.

But again, we can discuss this - or revive the pre-existing discussion - over on Trek Tech.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I mean...come on. NX-326 for a starship that was not only built and originally launched before Enterprise NX-01 but was recommissioned right after the Federation was founded and Starfleet became an interplanetary instead of just Earth organization? At most there would have been just a handful of starships at the birth of the Federation and I somehow doubt there were 324 between 2151 and 2161.

The registry numbers are usually pretty arbitrary and only make sense in-universe from a bureaucratic standpoint of issuing construction permits and assigning numbers to new ships as they come out of drydock. In other words: only the beancounters in Starfleet have a logic to which ship gets assigned which number and it's not a decipherable logic to most outsiders. No matter how peaceful humanity gets we'll always have people with a bureaucratic mindset.

Ryan Thomas Riddle and JoeP like this.
  17. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Captain Captain

Remember the federation fought a war with the romulans. I am sure they built a few hundred ships in that war.

The Franklin was not a star fleet vessel either and could of been given it's registry number after being merged with star fleet.

Timo likes this.
  18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not ever.

19. Tuskin38

saddestmoon, DaveyNY and Ronald Held like this.
  20. Tuskin38

Spoilers for next week’s episode
    D7 baby!
    [​IMG]

saddestmoon, pst, Gonzo and 1 other person like this.