Starship design history in light of Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

IN TNG S2, Pulaski talked about giving Geordi cloned implants or replicated eyes. Eyes must be more complex than lungs.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why? They are mere lenses, with some neural tissue at the back end. There's nothing fancy going on chemically, and indeed wholly artificial elements could be used in place of the biological ones to create a working eye. Lungs... are processing plants.

Neural tissue is what the EMH replicates without further ado in "Emanations", thereafter proceeding to resurrecting the dead patient, again without much in the way of ado. Apparently, an entire spine's worth of neural tissue is replicated in "Ethics", too. But nerves are just glorified electrical wires, the chemical interaction between cells being of a relatively unvarying type compared with what the lungs do.

Still, the EMH was able to do holo-lungs, which sounds way more complex than replicated lungs... We probably need specific excuses to wholly explain "Phage" here.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

She offered ocular implants that would officer up to 80% of the same vision as the Visor. There was no mention of them being cloned or replicated real eyes.

4. Ar-Pharazon

"In TNG: "Loud as a Whisper", Dr. Pulaski suggests two options to Geordi La Forge to replace his unwieldy VISOR. The first would be optical devices that look like normal eyes but with a slightly lower performance than the VISOR, which Geordi declines. The second option involves a stimulation of his optical nerves, plus replicated eyes."

Cloned implants were also mentioned in Future Imperfect, which I realize was a faux future.

I seem to remember another mention, maybe the one where Worf is injured?

Tuskin38 likes this.
  5. Timo

...The fun thing is that Pulaski nonchalantly rattles off the many ways LaForge's eyes could be fixed, and it's all news to the patient, something his previous physician never appears to have mentioned!

Crusher need not have been incompetent as such, but she could have been a bit of a reactionary. She treats replicated organs (or "genetronic replication", which technically might be a different technique but in practice is never indicated to differ from replication of sandwiches or hand phasers) with suspicion and disdain in "Ethics", after all.

It's a shame her foil in that episode was a mere guest star of the week - having her be Pulaski would have been glorious! But yes, the remark about replicating body parts is there, and there are no contrary remarks elsewhere to suggest that living tissue or living beings would be impossible or even particularly difficult to replicate.

Timo Saloniemi

Deks and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  6. Ar-Pharazon

There may have been, at least, talk of it being Pulaski. Tho I'm not sure Pulaski was ever (or would be) that reckless or nonchalant about using a person as a test subject the way Russell did.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now you have had replications of Kirks and Rikers as part of a cascading system disentangled somehow.

But to do something that would seem easier like "make" a separate organ that isn't tired into a system might be harder for the technology.

In automotive mechanics, you don't disassemble a car while it is running....but the way a transporter works...perhaps the ONLY way to get the organ is to do the entire being. Remember "Dead Stop" Ware tech couldn't even do protists on their own.

Separate non-living non-field infused organs might be harder, except as food...and then it isn't quite right...thus taste differences I guess.

8. Tuskin38

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    publiusr, Markonian, DEWLine and 7 others like this.
  9. Timo

Interesting highlights in the battle with Control: shuttles with wings, and a 3D rather than 2D enveloping of the hero ships.

What is the weird blob of a small craft seen here? A forcefield around a workbee? A dedicated observation pod? What adventure was this for?

http://www.williambudge.com/new-gallery/85kupwkx1gqid8mhmf9tiwn6myk4qk
    http://www.williambudge.com/new-gallery/lx09i5eg03ahcubf9yab8lez1xak3g

Mudd ship concept?

http://www.williambudge.com/new-gallery/nogyevs8yq9xctwlddqrfk3neodkzk

For "Sound of Thunder"? Or moving past his Trek work altogether?

http://www.williambudge.com/new-gallery/wlf2dh157foshvhzleyywf3cwzwsyw

Timo Saloniemi

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  10. Tuskin38

Im thinking it’s a concept for Craft’s pod from the short trek episode.

Markonian and Timo like this.
  11. Vale

Vale Guest

They aren't. Several plants have genomes larger than humans. The size of the genome is poorly correlated to the complexity of the organism. There are single-celled algae that have genomes three or four times larger than you.

12. Tuskin38

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Interesting; I've never seen most of this concept art before. Surprisingly, most of the rough concept ships have registries between 1XXX and 8XXX. I wonder if they were supposed to have been designed for a post-TUC/pre-TNG show rather than a ten-years-before-TOS prequel. That would explain why most of the finished ships don't resemble TOS-era designs AT ALL.

14. Tuskin38

I don't think so based on the dates.

15. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

Many of these I hadn't seen before, and are notably different from the styles that ended up in the show. Very interesting.

Eaves really loves using Yeager as a placeholder name or class in any era of design.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He used NCC-8999 or somesuch in his ST'09 Kobayashi Maru concept art too, it's just what he likes to do.

The Disco designs were deliberately made not to fit with TOS, same as the Klingon ones. It just happens that all of JE's stuff looks like the Enterprise-E.

Richard S. Ta and Spaceship Jo like this.
  17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I was aware of that, but the random numbers he uses were usually drawn on the ships themselves. In this instance the name, registry and class information were written above the ship drawing, making me think that while Eaves did the artwork, someone else provided the ship information. But I'm probably wrong about that.

QFT

18. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

19. Tuskin38

It's not true at all. There's very little in common with these designs and the Ent-E.

Other than having half saucers, not really.

They could have evolved from the intrepid-Type design.

I like the naming theme on the left one. USS (Jerry) Goldsmith, (Alexander) Courage-Class

So Eaves didn't only submit aviation themed names.

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Most of them look like designs we’d see in 2370 rather than 2250. One of the ships even has nacelles that look like they literally came off a Jem’Hadar ship.