Stargirl to air on both DC Universe and the CW

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kitik, Nov 21, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They seem to like to tweak the costumes as the shows go on, so I could definitely see that happening.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

This is not a CW series; it was developed, funded, and produced by and for DC Universe; The CW is simply syndicating it.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How are they syndicating it? Isn't syndication when a show is shopped to independent stations? Like TNG in the 80's and 90's?

4. DigificWriter

Stargirl's 'native' "broadcast network" is DC Universe; The CW will rerun every episode one day following the DC Universe release, which is why their broadcasting of it falls under the umbrella of syndication.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I don't think "syndication" is the correct word here, since that's when a show is marketed to multiple individual stations with no network involved. It's just a rebroadcast by a partner network. Sort of like a simulcast, but more of a "daylatercast."

6. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Subletting, might be a better term considering that both outlets are part of the same media empire. Were it a non ATT/Warner entity that obtained day after broadcast rights, then syndication would be appropriate.

7. DigificWriter

Based on the various definitions of the term, I believe that Stargirl airing on The CW constitutes "off-network syndication", but others' mileage may vary.

Netflix streaming Titans and Doom Patrol Seasons 1 also constitutes "off-network syndication", IMO.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Doom Patrol isn't on Netflix.

Ovation likes this.
  9. DigificWriter

I don't know why I thought Netflix was the international broadcast platform for both DP and Titans S1, but I guess I was wrong.

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I had to buy Doom Patrol to see it, whereas I watched Titans on Netflix Canada (a lot later than when it came out initially in the US, though).

11. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Ovation likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starting tomorrow DC Universe is going to be doing a bunch of live Q&As, three of which are going to be Stargirl related.
    First up, tomorrow May 7th at 5:00PM PT, will be Laura Jean Shannon, the costume designer for Doom Patrol, and Stargirl.
    Then Thursday, May 14th, they'll be doing one with Geoff Johns, and Monday, May 18th they will be doing one with Stargirl herself Brec Bassinger. This will be done right after it premieres on DC Universe, so I'd be careful of spoilers.
    All of the Q&As can be accessed without a subscription.

13. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am excited for Stargirl been wanting this as a series for a while...liked seeing the character on Smallville & Legends.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Christopher

Oh, that sucks.

Well, if it is just the first two episodes, maybe in the second week I'll take advantage of that one-week free test membership to DC Universe.

17. DigificWriter

All of Stargirl's episodes as broadcast on The CW will be "edited for time", which is why I've re-upped my DC Universe subscription so that I will be able to see them in their entirety.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They why did Geoff Johns specify that the first two episodes, not all of the episodes, are edited on The CW? The way it's worded it sure seems like he's saying only those two will be have stuff cut out.

19. Christopher

Maybe they're longer than the others. Streaming shows can have varying running lengths because they don't have to fit precisely into a 60-minute time slot with a set number of commercials. And it's not unusual for premieres or finales to be longer than the rest.

Also, maybe the decision to re-air the shows on The CW wasn't made until after the first two episodes had been shot?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah, I understand that, I've watched Netflix, and Amazon Prime original series, my confusion was just on whether it's only the first two that are edited or if it's all of them. @DigificWriter said it was all of them, but the way the article was written, they made it sound like it's just the first two.