Stargate Curious

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Bry_Sinclair, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The show began on Showtime.

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

That means nothing to me I'm afraid.

Just finished S1. Its a pretty decent first season, with some interesting stories, setting up a lot of important plot points for the series, and some nice character moments as well. Not blown away by it, but willing to give it a bash and see where it goes.

Have to say I was very disappointed to have to endure a "clip show", especially when the segments from previous episodes were so long. 'Politics' could have been far more interesting and enjoyable an episode if they'd focused more on the present threat to the SGC rather than what's already been seen--I wound up fast-forwarding through the flashbacks.

Also what were people's first opinion of O'Neill? I go from liking him in one episode to finding him irritating in the next. He's better to watch than Archer ever was, but hasn't yet become the kind of leader I can get all the way behind.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

SG-1's clip shows aren't that bad, at least not when you compare it TNG's "Shades of Grey", and some of the later ones do build on the shows mythology.

4. Lindley

It just means that a premium network demanded certain things from the pilot that were not in line with the producers' vision for the show. Subsequent episodes were not subjected to the same interference.

5. Bry_Sinclair

Ah ok, thanks for that.

Well I decided to keep going with it for a couple more seasons (since lots of people are saying that it gets really good in S3), so ordered a couple more boxsets on Saturday adn they arrived yesterday afternoon, so making my way through S2.

Again some interesting work. One thing does puzzle me though. The Stargate was in Egypt, so how is it the Norwegian, Native American, etc civilisations have been spread to other worlds? That hasn't been explained yet.

6. Lindley

The Goa'uld focused their power around the stargate, so that is where they left behind the strongest traces; but they were more than capable of visiting and/or ruling other parts of the planet too.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Just finished S2 and it is better on the whole than S1 (still not sure about O'Neill though for some reason). However felt very let down by the finale (especially after "1969"), as I found it obvious from the very beginning that it was a set up, then to have yet another clip show (if there's one in S3 as well I doubt I'll take it much further as I find them insulting, I can remember what happened previously and a couple lines of dialogue would explain what you needed to know without showing it), topped off with a lacklustre 'cliff-hanger'.

8. Lindley

Clip shows aren't about recapping, they're a cheap way to produce an episode when they're out of money.

There isn't another clip show until season 6, and they find less silly justifications for them from this point on.

9. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Clip shows are annoying for sure, but you shouldn't consider them insulting. They're often a necessary evil. A compromise between you and the show runner that allows them to blow a lot of money on some really cool episodes, but still fill out their full season order.

Though I certainly agree a clip show in a season finale is a poor decision indeed. It won't happen again.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Thought I would give an update.

Now halfway through Season 6 and the series is proving to be really very enjoyable--the awful clip-shows notwithstanding. As a lifelong Trek fan it takes some getting used to the blatant interference in other cultures and planets (even though most are of human-origin).

I was getting a little tired of Apophis always surviving and coming back, but he looks to be very dead now thankfully. Was a little sad to see Daniel Jackson go (though I know he comes back, the guest appearance after six episodes kinda hints that he wasn't gone for good), but I am really liking Jonas Quinn.

Starting to warm a little more to O'Neill, but he's not my favourite character, thick that'd have to be Carter (VOY should have taken notes, having an intelligent and attractive woman, who is well written and cast, on the cast can get screen time and development without having her clad in a catsuit).

Was very interested to see the X303, an interesting ship though I find it hard to believe it was built so fast and could be operated by just a crew of four.

Anyway that's it for now. Might have to wait for the next paycheque before getting any other seasons.

One question though, would it make sense to watch SG1 and Atlantis at the same time (when the latter starts) or should I just carry on with SG1 before starting Atlantis? Is there much crossover of stories or arcs that go between the two?

11. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

There's isn't a huge amount of crossover, but I imagine the instances in which there are would feel a bit weird without watching both. Still, not sure it would be enough to bother alternating between the two.

12. Lindley

I think it's worth alternating, but it's definitely not critical.

I would suggest at least watching the Atlantis pilot after "New Order, Part 2". Strict alternating isn't required, but you probably shouldn't get them more than half a season or so apart.

13. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Atlantis was sort of the 'Voyager' of the SG-1 'verse. You had a couple of crossovers - toward I think Season 3 or 4 of Atlantis you sorta had some mixing with SG1 but you don't really need to see Atlantis to really 'get' SG-1's story nor do you need SG1 to really 'get' what's happening in those episodes of Atlantis.