Game Starfield

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by 1987SpaceGuy, Feb 9, 2022.

1. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

Can't believe there isn't a Starfield thread yet :shrug:

Xbox Series X|S + PC + likely also X-Cloud (Xbox cloud streaming via GamePass)
    Release: September 6th, 2023 (as of May 19th, 2023)
    Xbox Games showcase (aka "not E3") + Starfield Direct airing June 11th, 2023

Starfieldgame.com
    Xbox Starfield
    Official YouTube

Official Annoucement

Official Teaser

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Cautiously optimistic about this one. But it is Bethesda, so I have my concerns about it being a buggy mess. Though the good thing is that it will be on Game Pass on day one so it won't be a sixty or seventy dollar coaster.

Harpsichord and ED-209 like this.
  3. 1987SpaceGuy

best case for me: this fills the itch for a good single player space RPG game until the next Mass Effect is out.

Hope that with that long lead/dev time the game will be fun, interesting (universe, lore, characters) and in a good state to play (game play, without too many bugs)

I'm looking forward to learn more about it.
    Sadly official/confirmed information is rare so far, but that seems to be the Bethesda norm.
    I'll probably try it on GamePass first too instead of buying outright if that doesn't change before release.

Haven't really played any of Bethesda games as none of their story settings so far interests me.

4. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

I'm mega excited for this one, hope it lives up the the hype.

I doubt it's going to come out in November as they're advertising when they've released literally no gaming footage yet - more like November next year.

5. Atrili

Atrili Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I love the term "NASA Punk" that they're using to describe the look and feel of the game. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

6. 1987SpaceGuy

7. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

I'll be impressed when we see some actual gameplay footage and not just stills, it's supposed to be coming out in November after all.

BillJ likes this.
  8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Guess I'll finally need to bite the bullet and get a new console for this one. My old X1X won't be supported. :(

9. 1987SpaceGuy

Couldn't you just stream it with Xbox GamePass (IF you have decent broadband/fiber).
    No need to throw out older consoles or upgrade for just one game IMO.

10. 137th Gebirg

I suppose it’s possible. I’ll need to experiment with that.

11. 1987SpaceGuy

EDIT: Sorry, thought it was new, because it popped up in my twitter feed from them, but it's been released since 2 weeks. Didn't notice that while at work.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  12. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I'm really looking forward to this, especially as it will be on game pass on launch. It looks like it will fill my Mass Effect void for a while. Or fingers crossed that it will.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    ED-209 and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  13. 1987SpaceGuy

Currently scheduled for 1st Half of 2023 (and rumored early 2023)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  14. 1987SpaceGuy

Never played a Bethesda game so far, not interested in any of their other worlds/IPs.
    • Very happy we finally got more information and visuals.
    • This all feels like a single player story RPG, a multiplayer "loot grinder" + open world game smashed together into
    Not really liking that.
    Hope I can do a streamlined "primary story" play trough first, followed by an open world spaceship/fraction whatever I want.

[​IMG]
    • was not impressed by the game play & game engine overall, looked kinda sluggish/not really fluid - especially walking/running/jumping around parts. Thus the game play looked very dated - expected more fluidity/smoothness.
    • too many (1 thousand +?!) planets you can (but hopefully don't have to all) visit = I fear copy/paste empty auto generated grinding rinse/repeat worlds.
    highly skeptical of it all.
    Honestly would have preferred 10-20 or so unique ones that all at least contain 1 handmade hub/mission and the rest of the planet being free to explore.

Yay [​IMG]
    • character customization [​IMG]
    • spaceship customization [​IMG]
    • spaceship flying (and fighting) [​IMG]
    • landing anywhere on a planet [​IMG]
    I'm gonna spend so much time in the character creation and spaceship building ...

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

16. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Filling up huge worlds with decent content is not normally Bethesda's problem. Its creating interesting characters and storylines that they normally struggle with.

I'm looking forward to it but ancient artifacts that give the character visions is a bit too on the nose Mass Effect surely.

17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Why play this game, versus no man's sky?

18. 137th Gebirg

I was an avid Skyrim player back in the day. This looks like Skyrim, in space, on crack, with a nuclear fusion reactor.

That's why! :D

Jedi Marso and publiusr like this.
  19. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is my concern. This game seems to potentially have the same problem as No Man's Sky in that its as wide as an ocean, but as deep as puddle on the sidewalk. Also Skyrim and Fallout 4 felt shallow, and never could grab me the way Fallout 3 and New Vegas did. The writers at PCGamers weren't impressed with the boast about there being 1000 explorable worlds, since they feel most of them were randomly generated and won't produce any memorable experiences the way you might see in a handcrafted level. I'm hoping that at least the main story is compelling.

Ronald Held likes this.
  20. 137th Gebirg

My greatest concern is promise vs reality. Cyberpunk had this issue. It was talked up and hyped to the ends of the earth and it was so glitchy and buggy upon release, even the multiple subsequent patches failed to really get me back into it. Really hoping this won’t happen here.