Stardate mentioned in Spock Prime's ship

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Captain59, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And in the little pod on Delta Vega.

Though I'm not sure why they would use Majel's Starfleet Computer Voice for a Vulcan ship.

2. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I was watching Enterprise so much on Sci-Fi before the movie premiered that I did not even notice the change with stardates.

3. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I'm also glad they decided to update the stardate format, as it had become a bit unwieldy. And it is too bad they won't have Majel Barrett to record any more computer voice scenes. Frankly, though, I hope they find a successor to make such recordings and don't reloop old Barrett recordings. It would be fun if one of the actors who appeared in the many ST shows became the new Starfleet computer voice, and it doesn't have to be restricted to a female actor's voice. I think Robert Picardo or Avery Brooks would be outstanding. And if they decide it should be a woman's voice, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, or Jennifer Lien esp., all have strong voices. -- RR

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I like this suggestion. :techman:

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I have to say I like that idea, too. She's got a wonderful voice.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Jennifer Lien was a mediocre actress with an almost Kathleen Turner-esque, sexy voice. Her looks and voicebox surpassed her emotive skills on screen any day.

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^So perfect for a computer, then! :p

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

She was fine in AMERICAN HISTORY X. Perhaps decent material enabled her to actually demonstrate her craft as she had learned it.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

He's got a point, eddie. On the rare occasions the Voyager writers gave her a script with some substance to it (or even a solid scene), she carried it pretty well. Relatively few actors, however, have the knack for elevating material which is lacking, and most of the time she just wasn't given very much to work with.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  10. cooleddie74

"Before and After" was arguably her best episode. I'll cede she handled some episodes well. Sometimes very well. But overall...at best...she was a fair/mediocre actress who occasionally got serviced by good material.

11. BarryWaddle

BarryWaddle Lieutenant Red Shirt

For the record...

There was rhyme and reason to the stardate system used in TNG/DS9/VGR. I don't remember how I came to this realization, but, I remember being in study hall in high school, for the better part of a week, figuring out the system.

You take a certain day of the year, say for example, my birthday January 21st...The 21st day of the year...Divide that into 365.25, and you get .0574949 So, if I was alive in the first season of TNG, the my birthdate would have been 41057...And if you divide a 24 hour day up into 10 equal parts (as I was born at 4:34AM), the specific time would have been (after the decimal point), close to 41057.2, which would have been some time just before Encounter At Farpoint.

Don't believe me? Do the math yourself.

As for why they changed it for the Jellyfish computer? Your guess is as good as mine. Incidentally, I was so disgusted with the alternate universe JJ created that I never noticed.

12. cooleddie74

Based on the 2233.04 stardate for the Kelvin running into Nero and Kirk's birth, that places JTK's entrance into the world around January 17, 2233. Two months earlier than the Okuda calendar originally conjectured for Kirk's birthday(which, admittedly, was based entirely on William Shatner's real-life birthday of March 22nd).

13. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those are the only two times I believe the voice was Majel's.

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that coincides nicely with why he wasn't back in Iowa to be born--he was premature! :)

15. cooleddie74

Could be! Maybe the Narada's attack sent Winona Kirk into premature labor in the seventh month.

Hmmmmm...