Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I like the current Jedi Younglings story ark I keep being reminded that most likely they will die at the hands of Vader carrying out Order 66.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

4 episodes is a bit longer than necessary but I'm enjoying the youngling arc a lot more than I thought I would. I like Hondo. He's a fun villain. He can be menacing a goofy in the same episode. Who does his voice? I like the performance a lot.

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Too bad that now that the rule got lifted the EU will probably get nuked.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Except that because of all these encounters, the line "I was trained in Jedi arts by Count Dooku" in ROTS doesn't make sense any more.

5. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the crystals fuse with the surrounding components after repeated use and can no longer be removed from the lightsaber.

6. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless just prior to Revenge Dooku killed someone important to Obi-Wan, and Grievous is reminding him of that.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I didn't understand what was going on in that naval battle. Wasn't Obi-Wan part of a fleet of ships? Grevious lands a dozen droids on the hangar deck and he considers the entire ship lost? It looked like the Seps were blasting the other ships apart; why would Grevious board the flagship with a Jedi onboard and not one of the less protected ones? As mentioned above, why would Obi-Wan warn Grevious to save his life?

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, would have been better if Grievous had discovered the self destruct sequence by himself anyway and triggered the message that way.

So, once the secret was no longer a secret Obi Wan saw no harm in taunting Grievous a bit.

Not warning him wouldn't have made a difference at that point. If anything it would have delayed him a bit.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Then how do you explain these lines
    GG: "Anakin Skywalker. I expected someone with your reputation to be a little... older."
    Skywalker: "
    General Grievous... you're shorter than I expected."

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hondo is played by veteran voice artist Jim Cummings, whose resume of animation roles is enormous. Just to name a few, he was Darkwing Duck, Winnie-the-Pooh from the '80s onward (and Tigger after Paul Winchell died), the Tasmanian Devil in Taz-Mania (and some later productions), MODOK in the '90s Iron Man, Dingo and Gillecomgain in Gargoyles, and Fuzzy Lumpkins in The Powerpuff Girls.

Yes, that's right -- the fearsome space pirate Hondo is actually Winnie-the-Pooh.

11. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They've never met in Clone Wars have they?

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ No and they likely won't; Anakin and Grevious have many headed battles in space but none in person until the very short encounter on the bridge of the Invisible Hand in ROTS. That's why this series always pairs off Anakin vs. Ventress or Dooku and Obi-Wan vs. Dooku or Grevious.

An improvement from last week but I'm enjoying neither this arc nor the entire season much so far. The action (or lack thereof) is too situated in one environment. It was switching around a bit this week, which was better.

I understand why it's so Ahsoka-centered but it's not doing it for me at all. Luckily there are heaps of past episodes to enjoy. I just think it's too much of Ahsoka on her own. Is this in contrast to all the Anakin and Ahsoka stories in the first part of the series? I do like Ahsoka but I was expecting something different from her teaching everyone everything. She teaches rebels to rebel, she teaches younglings to be young Jedi. Where is her master in all of this? Isn't an apprentice supposed to be with her master to, you know, learn things from him?

This was the first and only appearance of GG this season. :( Moar Grev, pls.
    We've got eleven episodes left... also known as "two arcs" in Feloni-speak. ;)

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The battle scenes were really cool right up until Grievous sent his boarding parties, and then it became a mess of silly contrivances. Why did they leave the hangar bay wide open in the middle of a battle and when they had advanced warning that boarding parties were approaching? Why did Obi-Wan give up the ship so easily? He seemed to give it one good attack and then folded. Why did Obi-Wan give Grievous a warning that the ship was about to self-destruct? How many people have died as a result of Obi-Wan's misplaced sense of honor and fair play? That was just bad writing, as they already had Grievous in the control room and he could have just seen a ship's status update saying they were on a build-up to self-destruct without Obi-Wan giving a war criminal a heads-up to escape the ship.

I like the Youngling's story and the characters, but it's been stretched out much longer than it should have been. Plus, I find it rather dubious that a ship of Younglings would have only a Padawan as the most senior Jedi aboard, especially with the frequency of pirate and Separatist attacks on Republic shipping. Hondo is a good and occasionally humorous villain/neutral party/sometimes ally (who should really stop being forgiven by Obi-Wan and Anakin) in small doses, but he's been overused this season. I agree with others that the Wookiee's lightsaber was a cool design, and I liked the bit with the Younglings pretending to be acrobats to distract Hondo from their plan.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Grievous is not spelled ( or pronounced ) like "Devious".

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Anyone know why in the world the only Yoda-starring episode we've ever had is the pilot?! Yoda is my favorite character and this is the perfect chance to give him a starring role but they're completely ignoring him!

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think the idea is to show how Ahsoka has matured and become more independent. Also, maybe having her spend less time with Anakin is to justify why we never saw her with him in ROTS. And maybe being apart from Ahsoka is a factor in Anakin becoming more unstable and closer to where he is psychologically in ROTS.

17. Drago-Kazov

There is not much character growth for Yoda.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

But there is for Obi-Wan? Or Grevious? Or Dooku?

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are all front line characters in the series. Yoda is the Grand Master of the Jedi Order. There's no real need to have an episode focus on him. The series isn't really about Yoda any way. It's about the other Jedi General's in the field fighting the war, and who knows we may yet still see a Yoda centric episode.

20. Drago-Kazov

Even in the books and comics he still had his mistique. There are not many stories about him an i like it this way.