Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

So Palpatine still is alive in ghost form?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

His dark consciousness and intelligence roamed space in disembodied form in the EU novels of the '90s, before his Clone Emperor body was created. A ghost? Maybe, maybe not, but his dark life energy drifted through the cosmos for a long while after his physical death at Endor.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'd only really expect ancient Sith Lords like Darth Bane to be ghosts, and it would have to be a really strong dark side place, like the crypts built for them like in the EU, or a planet like Korriban. I don't think an area in orbit of the forrest moon of Endor had a very long history of the dark side. I also don't think that Palpatine would have the ability to do it regardless. I don't think he was as powerful a Sith as the ancient ones.

Honestly, Vader was probably stronger when it came to force abilities, and Mace Windu would have killed Palpatine fairly easily without Anakin there to save the sith lord. I think Palpatine's skills were mostly in scheming and planning, his force ability, while probably strong, I never got the feeling that he was especially skilled when it comes to dark side force users. I think he beat Yoda more because of the circumstances of the fight instead of being any better than him. So, I wouldn't expect for the Emperor's ghost to be around.

4. DarthTom

We never see Vader use force lightening though - which at least on screen is a powerful use of the force.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assumed that if Vader tried to use Force lightning, it would short out his cyber-suit and fry his life support, which is basically what happened in ROTJ when the Emperor zapped him, as I saw it.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I think Lucas even said somewhere that Vader couldn't create any lightning for exactly that reason. And also because most of his body was now robotic.

7. DarthTom

Outside of force lightning, Vader didn't seem to possess the same level of precognition that Palpy had so I always assumed that he was the stronger of the two when it came to the force hence could return as a ghost.

Some Wars fans attribute the fact that he couldn't see the destruction of the second death star because of his arrogance.

In any case, related to episode VII it would be awesome to see Ian McDimarmid even do a cameo on the upcoming film.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I think some people would have aptitudes for different uses of the force. To use the old EU as an example, Jedi Master Corran Horn could barely move a pebble, but he was very, very good at illusions and mind trickery. That seems like a logical thing to me. Some Jedi, and Sith, are better at some elements of their powers over others. Some might be great at seeing the future and other mental stuff, but get their butts kicked in combat. Others might be able to physically influence stuff with the force more than others (like, say, moving huge objects) but can't see 10 seconds into the future. It always seemed to me that, outside of some lightning, Palpatine was skilled in the less obvious force stuff, while Vader (and Anakin as a jedi) was more into the flashy stuff like combat and physical feats.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

According to the 2006 Star Wars Visual Dictionary Vader lost any and all abilities to conjure and throw Force lightning when his other organic limbs were severed and he sustained near-fatal burns and injuries on Mustafar. Once the medical droids connected his new cybernetic arms and other components he was no longer able to throw lightning (nor be very resistant to it).

10. DarthTom

The real financial reason Disney bought Wars:

Huffington

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'm pretty sure owning an already billion dollar plus movie franchise with room to grow was also a significant part of their "real" financial reasoning.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Would be, and entirely possible based on the (old) EU, as we saw (read about) Palpatine reborn several times, thanks to clone bodies and other various Sith arts.

No makeup call for McDiarmid yet though:
    http://makingstarwars.net/2014/07/v...episode-vii-like-spin-emperor-palpatine-film/

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem is I think even in spirit form he would completely overshadow any new villain JJ was trying to establish. It's going to be hard enough to top the Emperor as it is.

Plus bringing him back really would diminish the victory at the end of ROTJ (much more than simply bringing back the Sith or Empire). So I'd rather they just leave him out of the picture completely.

14. DarthTom

Wouldn't the same hold true for Yoda? Also, Fisher, Ford, and Hamel will also likely eclipse any new actors as well or even villains.

But I hear ya.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, there are options for a cameo other than actually bringing the character back: old recordings, holocrons, etc.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

So, Star Wars comes out in December, and BvS comes out in March..

it's still close, considering that the most profitable holiday films, like Titanic and Avatar, manage to remain kings of the box office for months..

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just had a random thought about who the villain will be. No spoilers. Pure speculation.

During the 1990s there were only two things the EU writers were forbidden by Lucas from addressing; wookies and Yoda's race.

Could the Sequel Trilogy be about Yoda's race? Is the final villain an Evil Yoda?

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yoda's race was apparently off limits, but Wookiees appeared in 90s EU, so I don't know where you're getting that part from.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't remember the specifics, obviously we go to Kashyyk in the Thrawn Trilogy. I just remember reading that somewhere back in the 90s. Wookiees and Yoda's Race.

20. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Wookiee characters in addition to Chewbacca show up not only in Zahn's novels but also in several other books and comics as well.There was also a Chewbacca miniseries which dealt with the aftermath of
    His death in the first NJO novel
    which shed some light on his past. There was also of course the Holiday special, which was still sort of canon for the books, as Chewbacca's family were mentioned and made some appearances in various novels.

I think what you might have been thinking of is Wookie Jedi, which Lucas was adamant not appear in the films and also the novels. So Chewbacca's nephew who was a Jedi was mostly written out of the NJO (Although I think he returned in the Dark Nest trilogy), although a Wookie Jedi who was Plo Koon's master somehow made it into the Star Wars monthly comic in the Stark Hyperspace war arc.

It seems the Yoda species ban was sort of lifted. While the name of the species is still unknown, we had the female Yoda "Yaddle" in TPM and some of the EU (Although she's hard to make out in most scenes because the puppet didn't work or something) and the Knights Of The Old Republic games have a few Yoda-like characters as well.