Star Wars Episode VII Discussion, News, Interviews (12/18/2015)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

strictly speaking it doesn't - he never wore Jedi robes at the age he died.

Yoda and Obi-wan wouldn't recognise him.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The imagined timeline for the prequels during the filming of ROTJ was very different from the one in the actual prequels. Anakin would have become Vader in his 40s.

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the 80's, it made sense because we knew virtually nothing about the circumstances of Anakin's fall to the Dark Side and his transformation into Vader. To me, it makes perfect sense that Anakin's spirit would look the way Anakin did before his fall. As Obi-Wan said, at that point he ceased to be Anakin Skywalker.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't get me started on why something Obi-Wan wore on Tatooine because it was hot and shitty became "Jedi robes".

Why the hell was Owen Lars wearing "Jedi robes", I ask you! :cool:

5. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ A gift from his cherished step brother?

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

No kidding. Not only did they use his outfit, but they made all the other Jedi talk and act exactly like Old Ben as well. Which was just odd. As a kid I hardly imagined Obi-Wan would be acting like a boring old man even back in his 20s and 30s.

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

And that Shaw was nearly 80 at the end of ROTJ, whereas even then Anakin would only have been in his mid 40s.

Personally I agree that it makes way better sense to have Christensen (and I like the way now when Obi-Wan looks him up and down it's like he's saying "hey there's my old buddy.")
    The only problem is the kinda weird evil look he has in the last shot, I don't know what made them choose that take.

8. davejames

I'm really curious to see what kind of tone Abrams goes for with this movie, and whether it will it be fairly light and fun like ANH (which is kinda what you'd expect from him) or something darker and more serious like ESB.

Starting out the new trilogy with just a fun adventure seems like the smart way to go, but I have a feeling Ford wouldn't have signed up if there wasn't something a lot meatier for him to do...

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Light and fun is what you expect from Abrams? This is a guy who inaugurated his Star Trek tenure by killing Kirk's father and blowing up all of Vulcan. His series Alias began with the lead character having her boyfriend murdered and discovering that she was working for an evil spy organization. Sure, there's some fun, wild adventure in Abrams's shows and films, but there's usually a fair amount of tragedy and pain as well.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I can live with Hayden as Anakin's ghost, but I just wish he didn't have that creepy leering stare as he watches his son and daughter walk off to celebrate victory with the others. When he first materializes his facial expression is fine, but the next shot he just looks - awkward.

Luke (thinking): "So that's what Father once looked like.

Don't make eye contact....don't make eye contact...."

11. davejames

Yeah but even then his Trek films didn't exactly have the serious tone of TWOK or ESB. They were still very much fun, swashbuckling adventure films at heart, which in my mind felt much more like the style of ANH (albeit much more ramped up and energetic versions).

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if the reality of this has hit me yet...but Harrison Ford is returning to play Han Solo. Who in the last thirty years would have ever thought they'd be saying they were going to a new Star Wars movie with Harrison Ford!

Ditto for Hamil and Fisher too.

13. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

14. cooleddie74

Over the past 30 years Harrison's tactly and humorously avoided calling the role of Han Solo one-dimensional fluff that he eventually outgrew, but for the longest time he acted as if he'd rather stick his face in a swimming pool full of piranha than talk about the three original Star Wars films. It wasn't anywhere near as bad or dismissive as Alec Guinness chastising a kid for asking him about Obi-Wan and trying to get the child to promise to not watch the movies again, but Harrison was always going to be the toughest "get" of the Sequel Trilogy.

15. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think she's most likely playing Han and Leia's daughter, just based on her placement at the table read (between Ford and Fisher).

16. cooleddie74

^
    And her fairly strong facial resemblance to Natalie Portman, which would make her very believable in the role of Padmé's granddaughter.

17. davejames

Agreed. I pretty much gave up on that idea 20 years ago. The idea it's actually happening now, with most of the cast in their 60s and 70s, is just kind of... mindblowing.

In fact I wonder if the new cast will be able to make much of an impression at all in the movie, since everyone's going to be so damn excited just to see Han, Luke and Leia again.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I think a Star Wars marathon may be in order soon. I wasn't a huge fan of the prequels but it has been a while since I've seen them (I'm not even sure I saw RoTS except for the theaters) so maybe a fresh pair of eyes wouldn't hurt.

Also it's about time I watch the Archival Editions of the OT, or whatever the hell they call the super special editions with Hayden Christensen in ROTJ :D

19. cooleddie74

"The only versions being sold in big box stores." :)

Although the bonus discs of the Limited Edition 2006 DVDs contain the original, unedited and unrestored theatrical versions of each movie in the Original Trilogy. The picture and sound often leave a whole lot to be desired, but the original Jedi from 1983 is available if you can find the 2006 DVDs on the secondary market.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I have the 2006 DVDs :) I already watched the original editions, having to zoom in with my TV. The picture wasn't the greatest but it wasn't horrible either. I plan to watch the Archival editions not because they're the only option, but because I've long since grown tired of being upset with the changes and just want to embrace them as an ongoing story.