Star Wars Episode VII Discussion, News, Interviews (12/18/2015)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The release date has just been announced!

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A reasonable compromise.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm very excited we now finally have a release date.

It is going to take some getting used to seeing a SW movie in the winter though. I know ANH was first scheduled for winter until it was delayed until the following summer of 77, so this is almost like going full circle. :)

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Abrams does work pretty fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if this ultimately got moved back a little before then, perhaps to Thanksgiving.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I thought we had a release date already. Or maybe I just assumed it would come out in May. And delays have always been an issue for Star Wars. Lucas managed to get the prequel trilogy out on schedule but he was having trouble and at one point, around when Episode II was being made I think, he said that he wished he could have four years instead of three.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They just announced the date, things would have to be very bad production wise if they delay it.

I think it would be better if they delayed it a year (or two), but Disney seems DETERMINED to release the movie in 2015 for some reason. :vulcan:

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This will be a day long remembered.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I am already seeing all the fans on other forums starting to complain about it being "wrong" that SW isn't being released on a May month. :lol:

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

2015 is going to be such a busy year that it's probably for the best that SW be pushed back a bit, and given it's own spot.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It is kinda disconcerting. I fear change. :ouch:

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I was very much hoping for a late spring/May release as we saw with the first six Episodes in the Saga dating back to 1977, but if the extra seven-month wait helps guarantee the best final edit of the best story possible then I'm fine with it. Not like we have any choice in the matter, anyways.

I'm still very excited about the new film and hoping for the best. I still believe that Lucasfilm and Disney can knock Episode VII and the two other Sequel Trilogy films out of the ballpark if they've learned lessons from the flaws and failures of the Prequels and focus on making the new movies feel more like the Classic Trilogy than the last few films did.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty excited for this. I have faith in Disney and Abrams. I am a little surprised they aren't doing this as one of their big summer movies, but if they're releasing it at the end of the year as a way to give them extra time to work on the movie, then I'm all for.
    Any idea approximately when we should start hearing official casting and other hiring news?

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I am still bothered by the fact they dumped Arndt for Kasdan and they are pushing back the release date. This can't be good imo.

14. cooleddie74

But on the bright side Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote both Empire and Jedi. Kasdan has proven he knows how to help write some great or downright amazing Star Wars screenplays....let's just hope he hasn't gotten as rusty between Star Wars gigs when it comes to writing as Lucas did when it came to directing.

The twenty-plus year gap between the original film and The Phantom Menace really showed a decline in the man's directing skills and instincts.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

It might work out for the best but consider me disappointed about Star Wars being given a holiday release. I know Star Wars isn't the top franchise anymore (that's Avengers) but still, it's the Babe Ruth of franchises. Treat it like that but Disney just wants to mass market the hell out of it. Star Wars is and should remain a summer franchise.

I can't say this is a surprise though once they hired JJ "Don't push me, I'm coming" Abrams.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, most movies get at least 3 years from green-light.

If the script turns out better, Abrams should be praised for rewriting it, and delaying the movie 6 months.

Sure as Hell, if he had gone with the script and it made the movie suck, Abrams would be BBQ'ed for not taking the time to fix the script, "As The Director, it's HIS Job". (How many times have "WE" trashed Directors for not re-doing a script?)

We don't know for sure that most any credible Director wouldn't have wanted to alter the script. (And I think most "In-Demand" Directors would want their own stamp/angle on a script in some way, even if it's already Good)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

More lens flares are added to the script as we speak.

18. cooleddie74

With Abrams and Kasdan joining forces to write this thing it should wind up as a pretty entertaining and satisfying installment. For all the flak and crap J.J. gets from many Trek fans for his alternate timeline take on the Roddenberry universe he does usually craft pretty good product, and Kasdan - well, his cred is there for all to see.

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I was a fan of the Star Trek movies but JJ's movie career isn't exactly stellar.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That is my biggest fear. We rarely see returning creators outdo their original work. Lucas is probably the posterboy for this. I honestly think dumping an Academy award winning writer who did Toy Story 3 for Lawrence Kasdan is a step down.