Star Wars Books Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mr Light, Feb 12, 2015.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amuses me to no end.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, nor have we heard anything yet about a tie-in novel or comic for the movie. Which is odd, a comic mini-series would almost certainly be starting around now, while a novel prequel or tie-in would be out in May or possibly even April. Is it possible they aren't going to bother with either for this film?

3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then it's very much a matter of perspective. I feel it's just the opposite. There's a presence online that's been actively trashing it since 2014, many never having read any of it.

When a company makes a controversial decision, "fans," as usual, pick sides, and will actively trash the other, like calling it "fanfiction" when it definitively(and figuratively)is not.

Almost all of the old canon books of the last ten years made the NYTimes bestseller list, and are very well reviewed on sites like Goodreads.com. Most have a 4.5-5 stars.

Many of the most critically acclaimed EU books were written in the last few years, like Darth Plagueis(2012), or Kenobi(2013). Some of these books are still being sold in book stores right alongside the new canon books.

4. fireproof78

Are not most Star Wars books still being sold?

5. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean on the shelf in a physical book store like Barnes & Noble.

6. fireproof78

I can still find a fair amount...:shrug:

WebLurker likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if maybe the director change over left them with some uncertainty about the final movie and they decided to wait and see what they ended with before they decided on the spin-offs.
    Well, the NYT thing doesn't necessarily mean people actually liked them, it just means people bought them.
    I am a bit surprised to see the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi book have such good ratings on Goodreads. All I remember hearing around the time they came out is how much they sucked.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just want to point out that I always loved the Old EU, and will continue to defend it as THE Star Wars universe even if I love the new movies, too.

9. fireproof78

They do :techman:

Also, it all can still be appreciated as Star Wars, regardless of ratings.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I have all the Fate of the Jedi books and I've only gotten hal way through. They are very boring. i think I'd rather have a root canal than finish them.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think I posted on here that I read the digital collection of Marvel's Princess Leia miniseries. I enjoyed it quite a bit, I liked that it revolved around the aftermath of Alderaan's desctruction. Evaan was cool, and I wouldn't mind seeing her pop back up again somewhere.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was it the Leia comic that showed chewie actually getting a medal, or was that just the normal Star Wars run?

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just double checked and I didn't see it in either Princess Leia or the first couple issues of the regular Star Wars series.

14. Tuskin38

Maybe it was a fan thing. I know it shows his medal in the Chewbacca comic, and it's mentioned in a couple books according to Wookieepedia.

15. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IMHO, it's not worth it. (I read all of them and the few things that came after them; very bad, very confusing, and a lot of unanswered questions.)

So far as I know, we haven't seen him get it "onscreen," we just know he has it.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, this is what Lucas had to say about Chewie's medal back in '77: -
    [​IMG]
    From what I gather, Wookies are a favourite of Lucas and he's developed some very specific ideas about their culture and philosophy over the years.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    fireproof78 likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Tuskin38

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Double or Nothing, Last Shot, and Most Wanted have my attention.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So Han shot last?