Star Trek: Voyager #19: Dark Matters (Cloak & Dagger) by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Damian, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just completed the first book of the Dark Matters trilogy released back in 2000. This book is a sequel to the season 1 episode "Eye of the Needle" and features the Romulan from that episode Telok R'Mor. After their encounter the Romulans force Telok to create a wormhole in an attempt to capture Voyager and bring it back in time to Romulus for them to exploit the technology. They receive the aide of a member of a species called the Shepherds using Dark Matter, which Voyager had encountered in the episode "Cathexis" but having deadly effects. Telok tries to warn Voyager of the attempt and they beam him back to the ship before he can be arrested by the Tal'Shiar. Then they all try to rid the ship of the Dark Matter which has infected the ship and crew while trying to find other Shepherds who can help them. They learn not all the Shepherds are alike and they also encounter a new character in their search. This first book just scratched the surface but I get the feeling this character will play a significant role in the follow up novels. Also Chakotay and Paris end up going through a portal, likely part of the quest Voyager goes on to fix the problems related to the Dark Matter, though nothing is said about where they might be yet in this book. I found it to be an enjoyable Voyager book, I'd rate it above average. It takes place in 2376 according to Memory Alpha, about the 6th season of the show. This is pretty consistent with some of the references in the novel. I'm looking forward to reading the 2nd novel of the trilogy "Ghost Dance".

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I remember reading this trilogy back in 2000. I thought it was pretty good when it came out and one of the reasons that I was happy to see Christie Golden launch Voyager’s Season 8 books. It would be nice if she returned to write more Voyager.

Damian likes this.
  3. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

That might be good, since Kirsten (MF) Beyer seems a little busy these days.

4. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

We just covered this on Literary Treks! It was fun to talk about Voyager.

[​IMG]

100Pic likes this.