Star Trek V fan edit

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by EnriqueH, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I heard there’s a cool fan edit of The Final Frontier out there. Is there a link? I’m dying to see it

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've heard of it as well. If it is out there online somewhere, I don't believe we would be able to share a link here due to copyright rules.

Kor

BillJ likes this.
  3. TrekMD

TrekMD Captain Captain

I've searched with no luck.

4. EnriqueH

Oh really??? Oops. Sorry, Paramount.

5. EnriqueH

Actually I recently read that some fan is working on a special edit called “Breaking the Barrier” or something to that effect. I hope they make it easy to see. I’d love to see a leaner, tightly edited version of TFF.

6. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

At this point, I would think some gifted fans could entirely redo the awful visual effects. There's some spectacular fan-made stuff out there.

jackoverfull and Lance like this.
  7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are some test shots of replacement effects for ST5 on Youtube. It's ok, but it doesn't really change the movie, you know? ;)

Orphalesion, Qonundrum and Dukhat like this.
  8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Exactly. A shitty movie with awesome special effects is still a shitty movie. See The Phantom Menace for evidence of this.

9. EnriqueH

I’m not really concerned with the special effects, but I’m curious about an edit I heard/read about in which someone trimmed some of the more embarrassing humor and evidently turned it into a TV episode length.

Qonundrum likes this.
  10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Honestly, as much as I hate TFF, I’d be interested in seeing this edit. Not that I think it will suddenly make TFF an awesome film, though. Its flaws are more fundamental than just shortening the cringeworthy scenes.

Qonundrum likes this.
  11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Discussed on the board several times over the years. Apparently edited by Jack Marshall <wince>, it was titled In Thy Image and presented a "Phase II" episode with a running time of just over an hour. Marshal butchered the score by mixing TV series music with Goldsmith with Horner, etc.

Described here in this (archived) page about Fan Edits

If you really want to find it, search for something like: Jack Marshall In Thy Image remix

12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

That's exactly what "In Thy Image" is (although a lot of such scenes are removed entirely). I wouldn't bother, it's terrible.

13. TheEvilDM

TheEvilDM Ensign Red Shirt

I am interested in checking this out. I will do some searching. I'm sure its on youtube

14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It's an okay film, and what you said is absolutely true, but the excessive and character-mockery comedy did a lot to drag this movie down. The second half almost dropping comedy entirely shows this movie had potential to be far better as a whole... IMHO.

15. EnriqueH

I saw the “In Thy Image” cut and I was impressed because it was definitely a huge improvement because it trimmed a lot of the embarrassing dialogue and moments.

Whats interesting is that I couldn’t believe I found myself missing the campfire scenes which are totally absent. I always found them embarrassing to watch but what I realized is that much of the campfire stuff prior to the sing along was actually good. What ruined the campfire was “Row Row Row Your Boat”.

I don’t know about you guys but I find that when guys have heavy, introspective conversations, they usually cap them off with humor. I can see that the writers were going for that but unfortunately they didn’t come up with something better than the singalong.

I was also surprised that Scotty still bumped his head in this version. It was kinda like despecializing the Original Star Wars trilogy but leaving in Greedo shoots first.

I also missed seeing Sybok and Spock do the Vulcan salute (this version removes references to Spock and Sybok being brothers.)

Still, overall I thoroughly enjoyed “In Thy Image”.

16. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

ChristopherPike likes this.
  18. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

How do you view that last link is there just a place you can go online and view the cut or do you have to specifically request that the Creator I've it give you a link? I'm dying to see the Rockman footage that they created

19. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’m guessing it’s just the opening credits immediately followed by the closing credits.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  20. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually it was a different edit that I saw, not a cutdown TV episode version. Instead one which keeps Star Trek V as a feature-film but replaces all exterior starship visual FX and puts the rock creature into the climax. It was part of a campaign to get Paramount to look again and perhaps allow Shatner a Director's Cut, as they'd done with Wise's Motion Picture.

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.