Star Trek: TOS - Harm's Way by David Mack - Nov 2022

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Corran Horn, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a gap of a couple of years, but regular german translations have been around a lot longer than since the 00's

TheAlmanac likes this.
  2. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Fleet Captain Premium Member

Right, German translations go all the way back to the early 70s. Translations into other languages started a bit later, and appear to have run their course by the early 00s.

Did any other publisher beside Heyne insert actual commercials into the translated text? I saw an example of a Voyager novel where Janeway orders up a mug of delicious Maggi soup from her replicator. :barf:

Kilana2 likes this.
  3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I could ask Cross Cult if they'd insert advertisement like "Come to Quark's - Quark's is fun" into their books.....:D

Avro Arrow, Reanok and Daddy Todd like this.
  4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Hey, Earthlings! Stop nuking each other! Moderator

Soup doesn't necessarily seem like the best product placement for Janeway.

INT. JANEWAY'S READY ROOM

Chakotay: Sorry to interrupt, captain. Mr. Tuvok reports that the Kazon ships are...

Janeway: In a moment, commander. Right now, I'm enjoying the rich, full-bodied taste of Prezza coffee.

Chakotay: I'm sure it's great, but the Kazon...

Janeway: Prezza selects only the finest, ethically-sourced beans, and their patented slow-roast process locks in that full, bold flavour.

Chakotay: I...

Janeway: The beans are then vacuum-sealed to preserve maximum freshness. One sip and you'll agree, the rich taste of Prezza can't be beat. Start your day... (raises cup)... the Prezza way!

Chakotay: ... Where's that music coming from?

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I didn’t realize that the product placement scandal was that recent. I heard it about via Diane Duane, but my impression had been that it was an ‘80s phenomena, long before there was a Captain Janeway.

6. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I believe the regular Czech novel translations are still going, are they not?

Daddy Todd likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

I forget to drop by for about four months and this great bit of news comes out.

David Mack likes this.