News Star Trek: The Original Series: The Roddenberry Vault Review

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by AutoAdmin, Dec 14, 2016.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There are hamburgers on Vulcan, they are the equivalent to Crystal Meth here on Earth. Constantly, Vulcan authorities are having to raid "Hamburger Houses".

2. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So I imagine there is the Vulcan equivalent of the Hamburgler then...

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Interesting that the Sulu "inscrutable" scene was actually filmed as scripted.

4. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

Have you seen the script?

5. Green

No, hamburgers all illegal on Vulcan -- just as meth is here. So deviates who eat hamburgers are called "hamheads"

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I have. It was shot as scripted.

7. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I wonder what's interesting about it being shot?
    It's silly more because Sulu says he practised "hours" in a mirror. That's dumb writing. The first time we get any background info on a secondary character -- it needs to be more logical than that.

8. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Vulcans prefer "Vulcan Fried Chicken"...

Kor and CrazyMatt like this.
  9. Green

The secret spices include Plomeek!

CrazyMatt likes this.
  10. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Served with a side of jumbo Romulan mollusks?

11. BillJ

Was at Best Buy today, and weakness got me. So I picked it up. Nice case, haven't had the chance to watch any of it yet.

12. BillJ

Watched the first disc. While it is a bit more sparse than what I was hoping for, I am enjoying it and it was definitely worth the purchase.

Galileo7 likes this.
  13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I just got this set earlier in the week too, but I had to order it from Amazon (I also ordered the Animated Trek at the same time, and STII DC Blu Ray, as I was ordering something else and needed to fill the cart to get the Free Shipping), as I haven't been able to find it in stores in Eastern Ontario. But I had to laugh when the ad on Disc 1 for Star Trek on Blu-Ray was at the end, and the last screen said "Find them online and in stores"! CBS and Paramount must think there's more people buying the sets online than they would get if they were available in stores (I've only seen the TOS Complete DVD set and the TNG Seasons 1-3 box set DVD at my local Walmart, but when I go on Walmart.ca, I see that CBS has split the TNG Complete Blu Ray set up into Seasons 1-3 and 4-7, but they are listed as online only).

But the workprint footage, it looks like it was transferred to DV (I.e. DVCPRO 25) in interlace and then upconverted to HD. Which makes an economical sense, as the work prints themselves were not intended for viewing outside Paramount. Also, with these work prints do we know that they were 35mm prints, or because these were just intended for dailies and off-line editing, where they on 16mm film (analogous to how TNG, DS9 & Voyager dailies were screened & edited on VHS first before the final master was edited on 1-inch & D2 Composite videotape).

14. BillJ

The special effects feature on disc 2 makes the entire purchase worthwhile.

Indysolo and Methuselah Flint like this.