News Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 4K?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by AutoAdmin, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Yes I only care about the Director's Cut as well but I hope they do all three especially for the fans of the special longer version

2. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Yippee! Yahoo! Recently, I had my annual viewing of TMP-DE. I then decided to watch the blu-ray of the original cut, the first time I had watched the original edit all the way through since the DE came out years ago. Looked great but the DE is clearly the superior film. Hope this actually happens.

Grant and Indysolo like this.
  3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

The DE is my preferred watch if pressed but there's loads I like about the theatrical and SLV that I miss in the DE. Just a straight-up transfer of all three versions would still be great, would trigger a purchase from me immediately (especially if released as a 1 to 10 box set) and more than I would I hoped for up until a week ago.

Grant likes this.
  4. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I'm over-the-moon that this is now a real possibility. Fingers crossed they make it happen, and include the theatrical and SLV.

And, if they could find the Memory Wall footage and include it in some fashion, that would be great.

Smellmet, Pauln6 and Grant like this.
  5. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Only as an extra, since this can never be more than the Director’s Edition.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I'd really like to have the theatrical cut and hope they make it available. If not, I'm glad I have a nice copy I can live with. Damn it Lucas, couldn't you have at least made the theatrical version discs anamorphic?

7. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Well, The Digital Bits is hopeful following the unaltered ANH Academy screening allegedly permitted by Lucas himself, especially since next year we’re likely to see all the films released in a UHD collection.

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

They were going to add it to the DC , but they just forgot.........no........i'l get me coat.:p

9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC it was already released in 4K on itunes. So I don't know what keeps them from releasing it on disc.

Kor

Grant likes this.
  10. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Best bet is to find someone with a LaserDisc of the SLV and burn a copy on DVD. I’d offer to mail you a copy, but the LD I have has the first side of the disc not looking so hot. :(

BillJ likes this.
  11. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I'll buy whatever comes along. My dream copy would be a Hybrid cut, with the scene trims and special effects from the DE but all the missing dialogue added back in. I don't mind some scenes of people staring at special effects or even the V'Ger flyover being shortened (a bit) but I miss the dialogue, even Kirk's 'My God' or 'Viewer off.'

12. aaronbossig

aaronbossig Ensign Red Shirt

I own all the movies on DVD and skipped over the BluRay editions. Think I'll gladly re-buy on 4K.

Qonundrum likes this.
  13. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

not my favorite movie but a beautiful one. I'd love to see that warp effect in 4k

14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

^^This

Though I'd actually watch the theatrical or extended cuts the most, TDE did have some great new ship camera angles and the V'GER ship. Those make up for the sound effect changes but I wish most of those hadn't been changed... :(

15. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Of blu-ray, only TWOK was re-scanned and remastered. The other films were taken from existing 2K editions and given extra-hefty DNR so everyone looks like wax figures, smoke and other fine wisps would vanish, etc... the wax museum look is easily the worst of it all and yet those still look and sound better than the DVDs.

16. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was looking at some frames from the SLV next to some HD and I wondered why they looked so waxy.

17. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

The Blu-ray of Star Trek the motion picture theatrical has the best picture of the six with the obvious exception of Star Trek II. It appears to be fairly clean and the digital noise reduction was kept to a minimum compared to Star Trek 4. Star Trek 6 I can never tell if it's just the fact that they were all wearing so much makeup or if they actually used as much DNR as it appears. Some of the younger characters don't seem to have it the waxy look and I'm wondering if it's because they were wearing normal makeup instead of huge amounts of pancake

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    OK, now I'm scared. I spent my life with a blurry view allowing me to distinguish between Star Trek fiction and reality. Now they want me to watch it on a TV that looks clearer and more vivid than reality.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Last weekend was the 37th annual Conquest convention in Brisbane, Australia, and I hosted several sessions, including a fan commentary to accompany their 40th anniversary screening of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". We used the "Director's Edition" and, coincidentally, the news about the 4K negotiations had just broken!

It's always fun to watch a favourite movie on a big screen with a large group of fans, but this time my internal remembrances were able to be vocalised for my audience.

[​IMG]
    Ian's TMP:DE fan commentary
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Ian in TMP field jacket
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Ian on Epsilon Nine for my slide presentation of Sydney fandom
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The convention also attended a very cool, one-off, Apollo 11 anniversary presentation at the Brisbane Planetarium:

[​IMG]
    My Andorian Sock Monkey finds V'ger
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Ian and the Andorian Sock Monkey
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Ian in TMP uniform
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. aaronbossig

aaronbossig Ensign Red Shirt

ICK. Now I'm conflicted. I would welcome an upgrade, but only if it truly IS an upgrade.