Star Trek: The Motion Picture 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by od0_ital, Jul 29, 2019.

1. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I used to have that same VHS copy and the director's cut was the first DVD I ever bought.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this on the theater screen.

Damian likes this.
  2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I am informed it is a 2K version from the master used for the commercial Blu-Ray. So slightly higher quality than 1080p, but no worse than your home Blu-Ray. Why not go to enjoy the movie (or Wise's work print) on the big screen, for old time's sake, and in the company of other fans?

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Thanks for shortening my post to omit the context:
    And 2K is microbetter than 1080p.

And it's the movie. The DE is what Wise thought he wanted 20 years after the fact, not what Wise wanted in 1980. :D

5. Therin of Andor

I also get reprimanded for not identifying which part of a post I am addressing. Sigh.

6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

They could be broadcasting it on a static-filled old school television transmission for all I care. If it's TMP as a big-screen movie theater experience, though, I'm there. It's the only Trek film I didn't have the chance to see in the theaters.

Time to rectify that.

BillJ likes this.
  7. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup!

To be fair the DE plays "by the rules" (of trying to stay in the era) better than most. But the simple fact is that Wise in 2000 wasn't the same guy he was in 1979. Couldn't have been.

The DE does seem to have been an emotional labor of love and I have far more respect for it than *cough* some other Special Editions.

8. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice... if it only weren't $10 a ticket. Then I'd go.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Tickets are on sale today!

The Studio Movie Grill in Tyler is the closest option for me, followed by Shreveport & College Station. Thinking I may road trip to D/FW...

10. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

So the Las Vegas Star Trek convention is underway, does anybody know what day or what time or what panel discussion would be the likeliest to announce the restoration of the director's cut? I will be pretty pessimistic if this weekend convention goes by and there is no mention made of it.

11. Therin of Andor

The announcement - that DE talks have already begun - has already been made. At Comic Con in July.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/19/pa...von9962f8cT9d1PZ8C3QF21qlPhKq_1FHOTGpL--nV84M

I wouldn't expect a decision already.

Tallguy likes this.
  12. Grant

Yeah I was thinking they might want to have the project finished by the time the year ends not started by the time the year ends

13. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How long are you thinking this will take?

14. Grant

Redoing all the special effects that were created for the director's cut into high definition? That will take a while. If it was quick and inexpensive to do then the team from the director's Edition wouldn't be having to negotiate so hard with Paramount on a deal to get it done. But obviously if they have to have ongoing negotiations then it must cost some fair amount of money and take some fair amount of time to do. It would have been nice if Paramount had at least started the process of restoring the original camera negatives which would be used and needed for any of the three versions of the movie. Just a simple announcement that the restoration process had begun would have generated a lot of positive excitement and Goodwill towards Paramount.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would imagine a lot of things are on hold until the merger of CBS and Paramount is settled on way or another. A 4K version of TMP could be one of those things.

Galileo7 and Indysolo like this.
  16. Grant

So ten years after a subpar Blu-ray release the two entities that control Trek's future are in negotiations for reunification which may lead to the negotiations for a restoration of the first of the nine remaining Star Trek movies which need restoration? What more could a loyal Star Trek fan asked for except maybe to live long enough to see it happen.

Smellmet likes this.
  17. Therin of Andor

It was actually released in stores (November 2001) before Blu-Ray was proven to be commercially viable (started in June 2006). The DE was a DVD release, at the time the top-selling format for home video.

Galileo7 likes this.
  18. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he means the theatrical and the blu ray release in general. With the excessive DNR, lack of restoration and so on.

Grant likes this.
  19. Grant

Correct. The DVD release of the director's cut was not horrible for its time. But all the movies one through 10 I've had nothing but subpar blu-ray releases since 2009. With the exception of Star Trek II. But maybe they'll fix that after the merger.

20. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I'm sticking with my 1-10 DVD box set until we get at least a decent release for TMP, then I won't mind purchasing hi-def discs with 3-10 on (given TWOK has had a decent release now), even if they just re-release the current blu rays in the box set, but until then I'm holding off.

Sean Whitmore likes this.